• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

K&N Air-filter mod for 800 series 5 Ton how to.

insanejecke

OK a few weeks ago i asked about cross reference numbers for the 800 series 5 Ton air filter and after seeing the results i took it upon myself to fine out what it would take to make a K&N filter work.
After calling K&N numbers of time and talking to mangers to a engineer i ended up buying this http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=RC-3070. Now I have taken pic on how to install it ill try my best to explain it please bare with me.
First I painted the inside of the housing with undercoat ( why, stop rust and make it last long time). Then after waiting 2 days for it to cure nicely, I got some 1/2 thick rubber spacer. ( honestly i don't know what its called got it from work)
Using flexible epoxy I clamped it down around the flange adding to the total width to around 5, 15/16.( because the flange on the filter is 6 inches) Then I used some removable silicone I applied it around the newly made flange.( so it is truly air tight)
Now the filter tip is around 7 inch wide but the top cap has a inter spacer with the center hole that's only 6,7/8 wide so using a torch and following the center holes flange I cut it out to around 8 inches wide. Then with a grinding tool I removed most of the jagged edge off and them using rust retard primer I primed and painted it black waiting around a hr to dry and followed it with some 1/4 inch loom i glued down. so if the filter move around it wont get cut.
Then I removed the clamps and slip on the filter ( it was just right not tight and not lose) using a 5/16 socket and a short extension in a ratchet i tighten them all down to were you could not pull it off ( well if you tried really hard you probably could but just really tight)

If you have any question just ask.

I tried to keeps pics in line but i could not get it to work right.

1.jpg8.jpg7.jpg6 12.jpg6.jpg5.jpg4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg9.jpg

Last edited:

insanejecke

But to be honest if it gives Performance or not IT'S REUSEABLE with a million mile warranty. Why every few years buy a new paper filter? Or spend a little more and have one that's going to be always good and if it go's bad i can send it and get a new one that's the main factor in why I did this.

Last edited:
But to be honest if it gives Performance or not IT'S REUSEABLE with a million mile warranty. Why every few years buy a new paper filter? Or spend a little more and have one that's going to be always good and if it go's bad i can send it and and get a new one that's the main factor in why I did this.
Thanks, I wasn't sure what your motivation was.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
But to be honest if it gives Performance or not IT'S REUSEABLE with a million mile warranty. Why every few years buy a new paper filter? Or spend a little more and have one that's going to be always good and if it go's bad i can send it and and get a new one that's the main factor in why I did this.
You're going to put a million miles on a wrecker? I think I've put 20-30 on mine since I've had it for a few years now.

You realize the stock gauze filter is washable as well and filters better right?

BTW, your filter does not have a million mile warranty.
http://www.knfilters.com/warranty.htm

insanejecke

Look I don't see what the problem is with what i did? You can see it works. I posted this because i wanted to show that it can be done and now if anyone else want to they can see how its done. NO Disrespect Patracy it's a K&N Universal Air Filters that wasn't modified in any way so it still has a warranty. ( I asked about this when i was talking to a manger) I modified the flange so it would work.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY OUR WARRANTY
Any K&N product used for 1: any type of racing or competition; 2: any off-road use, custom or modified applications; 3: any off-road or dual sport motorcycle/ ATV use; or 4: any illegal highway use, marine, or industrial applications. All K&N Air Filters not covered by our million mile warranty are warranted against defective materials or workmanship for one year from date of purchase with no mileage limitation. This includes K&N Air Filters sold for ATV's and off-highway or dual-purpose motorcycles.

Pulled this directly from the K&N website. Since you have a custom installation in an industial truck your filter doesn't have a million mile warranty. I think its a awesome that you are thinking outside the box. Personally though I would have purchase an off-the-shelf OTR truck filter and housing that was rated for more CFM than the 250 will ever need. Good job on the installation it looks really good and thanks for posting something interesting and different.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not knocking what you've done, just pointing out the dealer mislead you a bit. Read the parts I bolded and placed in yellow....

K&N Product Warranty

MILLION MILE LIMITED WARRANTY
K&N O/E Replacement Air Filters and Air Intake Systems purchased from Authorized Dealers are backed by a Million Mile Limited Warranty when used primarily on paved roads and on vehicles for which they were designed. If one of these products ever fails to provide complete satisfaction, K&N will replace it.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY OUR WARRANTY
Any K&N product used for 1: any type of racing or competition; 2: any off-road use, custom or modified applications; 3: any off-road or dual sport motorcycle/ ATV use; or 4: any illegal highway use, marine, or industrial applications. All K&N Air Filters not covered by our million mile warranty are warranted against defective materials or workmanship for one year from date of purchase with no mileage limitation. This includes K&N Air Filters sold for ATV's and off-highway or dual-purpose motorcycles.

INCORRECT CLEANING OR USE VOIDS WARRANTY
K&N Air Filters should be cleaned every 50,000 miles for normal highway use, more often in dusty conditions. Cleaning should be done with K&N cleaner and air filter oil (or comparable air filter cleaner and oil). Use of compressed air, or chemicals not specifically designed to clean and re-oil cotton air filters (i.e. gasoline, transmission fluid, motor oil, lightweight oil, or diesel fuel) will void the warranty. Any damaged, abused or modified K&N Air Filters will not be warranted.

REPLACEMENT
Any K&N product returned to K&N will need a Return Goods Authorization number and must be sent at customers' expense along with proof of purchase. Call 1-800-858-3333 or contact K&N by email or mail.

PRODUCT REGISTRATION
Register your warranty at our web site and you'll be eligible for special promotions and product upgrade opportunities.

EXTENT OF WARRANTY
Any defective K&N Air Filter properly returned to K&N will be replaced. K&N reserves the right to determine whether the terms of the warranty, set out above, have been properly complied with. In the event that the terms are not complied with, K&N shall be under no obligation to honor this warranty. K&N will not be responsible for any indirect, consequential, special, contingent, or other damages.

COMMERCIAL GRADE DIESEL AIR FILTER WARRANTY
K&N commercial grade air filters have a 3 years or 300,000 mile limited warranty.
I've just seen too many (and know personally) of issues that have arisen from engines being "dusted" from K&N's. I can see them having a place. But I wouldn't put one on a vehicle that is designed to by subjected to adverse (dusty) situations. There's a very good reason automotive dealers void warranties from the installation of these.

It looks from the pictures that he installed the pre-filter sock. Those are supposed to make them filter much better. To be honest though I've been reading a lot lately about engines being "dusted" when running K&N filters. My uncle has a small fleet of trucks in Texas and had several engine go down because of that exact issue. These were all road trucks not subject to offroad conditions. Personally I won't run them in anything anymore be it street, dirt or water. That's my personal opinion based on the information I've research.

insanejecke

I used K&N because there the only one that make one that size for clamp on if there was another one that was better i would have but i was unable to fine one.

The best filter isn't the stock one, the best filter would be a three layer foam design. These have the ability to flow more than stock while still filtering better. There have been a lot of studies performed that prove the are superior to cotton or paper. Only real problem is that you would have to have a custom one made for this application.

insanejecke

I looked into that i wasn't going to pay about 300 for one. But there's a Filter comp here were i live that worked for at one time. I'm thinking about going and asking them if they have some scrap foam( the 3 layer) and put it inside my air intake scoop.

Last edited:
You never know. Remember the contract is awarded to the lowest bidder. Most companies cut costs by using lower quality parts. The lower quality parts tend to be consumables like the air/oil filters, belts, brake shoes etc. So you make be fairly close to the CFM limit stock.

Three layer foam filters are not hard to build. You can buy foam in different densities from a number of retailers. You just have to figure out which densities you need and how much of each. I would suggest contacting the Twin Air and see if they would mind explaining how they determine which to use. They make filters for motorcycles and atvs but the information should still apply.

Last edited:

insanejecke

I rather the foam get dirty that I can easily take out and replace. When i worked for them they scrap a lot of high dollar materials ( like all other comps...)