• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kaiser jeep or Am General

jimm1009

The dash for the gasser had a narrower removable panel due to not originally having a tachometer.
I think that they made an entirely new panel during conversion and centered the tach and speedometer as best they could at the top and then with the remaining gages grouped together below.
Perhaps someone else knows for sure but the gasser panel probably had the speedometer centered like an old jeep and therefore could not be reused during conversion.
I understand that the left front fender had to be changed out due to a requirement for increased width in the engine bay but this is 4th hand information too.

Having the registration number and the serial number both will help an owner find out the details of their truck.
The s/n is stamped on t he frame in the left wheel well just to the rear of the reinforcement plate for the steering box or just in front of the upper shock mount. You may have to use a steel brush and some paint stripper to find the numbers. Grinding or power brushing can actually damage the numbers. The frame heat treat date may also be adjacent to the numbers with will help narrow down or prove the year of manufacture.

jimm1009

Last edited:

dozer1

Well for the record I went with JEEP CORP for the manufacturer on the sf-97 for the two 1971 deuces. The general consesus seems to be "General Products Division of Jeep" or something very close to that.
Does anyone have a good guess how long it will take to get the sf-97's ?

Unforgiven

Look on the Driver's side front of the bed. I have a 1971 & the bed has a sticker saying for replacement parts identification contact Jeep Corporation. It's in the very front, outside, driver's side of the bed right above the yellow reflector.

scrapman

But as an added note, I have all three plates, A M General, Kaiser-Jeep, & General Products Division. The GPD plates in my own situations have been attached to total rebuild trucks.

nhdiesel

The dash for the gasser had a narrower removable panel due to not originally having a tachometer.
I think that they made an entirely new panel during conversion and centered the tach and speedometer as best they could at the top and then with the remaining gages grouped together below.
Perhaps someone else knows for sure but the gasser panel probably had the speedometer centered like an old jeep and therefore could not be reused during conversion.

jimm1009
Early (gasser) dash (on my '62):

HPIM0921.jpg
HPIM0922.jpg

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks