• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

KE5EUA's 818 Build

ke5eua

Man... Pressure washer, 7" touch screen, you feed those dogs right? :)
I'm glad they didn't eat the screen. It was on the table and when we got home there were paw prints all over the table with everything on the floor.

These beagles are to smart for their own good. Can't keep them out of the kitchen as they find a new way to get in, either climb over the gate or chew through the gate. The latest gate I secured to the wall and a collective force of 4 beagles managed to take it down.

ke5eua

So I've been doing a lot of thinking on the direction I want to go with my build and after talking it over with the wife I've decided to mix together a couple things.

I'm no longer doing a restore project. I'm full on moding it.

Right now I've got a 939 series dash cluster in my dash panel and I have to add the dash indicator lights next.

Doing the front drive disconnect but using an air brake valve to ensure it is disconnected when I drain the tanks.

Parking brake will be operated via an air brake pack using its spring brake half. This will help eliminate having to adjust as it will be set up to allow full force when applied.

Transfer high low selection will be done with an electronic linear actuator. Push a button to get it to go between ranges.

My old back seat from my F450 is going in to replace the seats.

A 2000 watt interverter, xantrex prosine 2.0

200 amp 12v alternator on the engine for the inverter / house batteries.

Custom built apu on the back deck that will have a 60 amp 24v alternator to maintain the truck batteries and a 200 amp alternator for the house batteries. Apu can also be used if truck batteries are dead as apu will have its own starting battery and a pull start.

Rv air conditioner on the roof, heat pump design for simplicity. Gotta stay cold in the heat and warm in the cold.

Completely rewire the truck. All new wiring and hoses air fuel and brakes.

Now for the best part. I drove the uparmored 931s in Iraq and loved them. With the support of my loving wife she has agreed to let me build a frankencab. I know its not on a 931 so that is why it will be unique. I'm not going for uparmor here, just something that reminds me of it. I've started playing around with designs and I'm going to get a little welder and learn / refresh on how to mig weld. Keep in mind, just building an exoskeleton here, not redesigning the entire cab. It's gonna be different that's for sure.

Most of the stuff I already have so expenses are going to mainly revolve around the cab design.

I am excited about this and I'm going to try and get a friend involved to so he can get out of the house.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

So I've been doing a lot of thinking on the direction I want to go with my build and after talking it over with the wife I've decided to mix together a couple things.

Most of the stuff I already have so expenses are going to mainly revolve around the cab design.

I am excited about this and I'm going to try and get a friend involved to so he can get out of the house.
We're excited too!

Sure hope we get lots and lots of "pitchers".

ke5eua

Got a lot done the past couple days.

Seats installed.

Dash is almost complete, just need to smooth out the welds but it's starting to look snazzy.

Back wall is back on, just need to finish stripping the lacquer off and repaint. Also need to fill the rust holes. That is fun given the thin sheet metal.

Pics and a small video.

20150503_184928.jpg

20150503_184904.jpg

20150503_184842.jpg

20150503_184650.jpg

20150503_184653.jpg

20150503_121405.jpg

20150503_121347.jpg

20150503_121242.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALjlpQS3CO8&feature=youtu.be

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks