• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

KE5EUA's 818 Build

ke5eua

Well the time has come for me to add more than just a power port to the truck. I've been buying, and planning since I bought it from trooper and now the time has come to put all the pieces together.

This build will span over several weeks, mainly as weather permits.

I couldn't have done this without the vast information on this site, and Chris from radionerds.

So far this is the list of stuff to do:

Relocate batteries from stock battery box and put in cab. I know, why would I do that you are thinking. Well the reason is, as of right now I am going to stick with my marine batteries but I am getting 2 ODYSSEY batteries to put in the cab, and install 8, yes I said 8, batteries in the stock location for starting and switch the 2 in the cab to 12v parallel.

Install Vanner Volmaster 60-80 Battery Equalizer.

Install Radio Mount. Well technically I already did this earlier, just need to finish up and wire it up.

Install Vic-1

Build radio interface based off of Chris' PCB on radionerds

Interface Yaesu FT-857D to Vic-1

Mount Radmor military radio.

Figure out a way to interface radmor to vic-1

Mount my PLGR. Yes I said PLGR.

Mount 3 antennas, AB-558, Sincgars antenna, and a 2/440 antenna. AB-558 will be for HF, and sincgars antenna will be for my Radmor military radio.

Install all new hub seals, repack bearings, flip rear hubs, press in new studs all the way around, and mount fmtv wheels.

Install 10-14 psi electric diesel pump before the ip to allow for faster priming to ip, bleeding during services, and cold weather running.

Install motorcycle style radio.

Forgot about the most important thing, install new passenger seat, lol

I have my work cut out for me, and so far the biggest challange is going to be putting the fmtv tires on. They weigh between 480 and 500 lbs and I don't have a tire jack. I had to use the tractor's front end loader to get them off the back of the truck.

Progress will be posted throughout, and questions will be asked if I run into issues. I feel pretty confident as I have sourced a lot of questions to make sure I know what to do.

I'm going to ditch the TM's and just ask mundane questions like how do take off the hub flange, lol

Last edited:

ke5eua

Here is the radio mount installed and the bracket that you normally have to flip the window around for.

Pics below in post 16. Technical difficulties with tapatalk.

Last edited:

ke5eua

Sounds like a fun project !!! You going to do anything to the Cummins 250 ?
Thought about doing the dual fuel line mod. Other than that I want to leave it mostly stock.

I'm going to do spin on filters for fuel and oil and add a coolant filter, and do the air filer mod that those military guys have.

Only other mod I'm planing on doing is adding a cross over on the fuel tanks and removing the left right selector.

ke5eua

I already got the pump, was a eBay buy. Same one that people use on the cucv as a pickup pump.

Yeah the tires should be fun, I'm thinking about bolting some angle iron to my motorcycle lift because I want to put the hub on the tires before I put it back on the truck so it can go on as one unit.

Jeepsinker

If I'm not mistaken, the deuce pump module will drop into your fuel tank, then just run the wire to it. Anyway, good idea with the tire lift. Your mount pics didn't work though....

ke5eua

Did you and fuzzy get your trucks swapped back yet?
Yep, I brought him his fire truck and brought mine home.

Was a nice ride up, only had a belt shred and Garrett kept telling me I was doing something wrong because I couldn't get the compressor belt back on. After he sent a pic of how it was suppose to go on I was done within an hour. When I pulled the shredded belt off it was around the fan pulley so that's how I tried to put it back on not thinking about it.

ke5eua

Yeah I guess I'll get my lights when you pick your tires up. Did you see that Goldeneagle has a towbar for sale? Nudge nudge.
Yeah I pm'd him. Yeah your lights are in the box next to my socket tray on one of the pics. If you need them sooner just let me know, I'll bring them up. Bret told me your wrecker had a leak so I was gonna let you try and fix it before getting the tires, don't want to stress the hydraulics if you don't have too.

Jeepsinker

I'll fix it tomorrow. Just a big fitting on one of the cylinders backed out, so i have to take the line off and tighten it back up and reinstall the line. I honestly think when the army replaced the lines just before I got it they left it loose because it has leaked like that since I got it, just didnt know where it was coming from. If you get the towbar from Goldeneagle you can keep all of the feet, I don't need them as long as I get what I loaned you back and they are ok. Keep them or sell them, whatever.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks