• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

KE5EUA's 818 Build

Jeepsinker

And the transistors are the same between CB amps and ham amps. You get more power from them in a ham setup because they are operating in the frequency ranges that they were intended for.

ke5eua

And the transistors are the same between CB amps and ham amps. You get more power from them in a ham setup because they are operating in the frequency ranges that they were intended for.
Palmor specd a low power one for some reason, but that was on the 200 watt version I looked at.

I've seen some crazy cb amp setups before. There was a guy at hood that had 6 alternators just to keep up with the amp.

Jeepsinker

I never had any amps smaller than a palomar 350 high drive, but yes I was one of those big power multiple alternator guys once. At that point it gets real expensive when you let the smoke out.

ke5eua

Didn't do to much to the truck today. Just drilled the holes for the antenna mount.

I did however make a new stencil for the fuel tanks.

I am going to cut a new one and change "used also" to "substituted"

IMG_1135.jpg

ke5eua

Dude, that is awesome... can I use it on mine when you are done?
Yeah I'll cut you one. I need to get the other font that has a more square look to it. I'm using the stock Mac stencil font.

I love this little machine.

I think the best part is we found sugar paper at michaels today. Sugar paper! I can cut my food into any shape and eat my way to diabetes, lol

ke5eua

Ok, little update. While waiting on parts I decided to take off the drivers side front wheel.

My little cordless impact did great taking the lug nuts off that I torqued with the torque multiplier.

Got the wheel off and pressure washed the drum and surrounding areas.

Took the flange off, was not impressed. Bolts were a muddy color, and the thin layer of grease I covered the axle nut with was brown.

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

Just ordered the axle nut sockets from toolwarehouse. I know 318 sales them, and I should have sent him a check but I was hoping napa would have them. Should have them by Friday, then I will continue to tear down the hub.

I think I am going to despline the front flanges and carry another set with me. I'm also going to attempt to slowly drill into the broken bolt and pull it out one I get the hub off.

ke5eua

Well today I got a little accomplished. Gathered parts for the fuel pumps. Since the fuel line is 1/2 and I'm stepping down to 1/4 fitting size on the pump I decided to add another pump.

All the parts from Home Depot.

IMG_1159.jpg

I have to get double 1/2 mip female adapters, I ended up getting male adapters not thinking clearly.

Here is the rough draft. Fuel hose from filter to tee on right. Goes from 5/8 flare to 1/2 mip then to the tee. Out the street elbow it goes from 1/2 mip to 3/8 flare then to 3/8 flare to 1/4 mip. Goes to pump then does the reverse back to 5/8 flare to the original fuel hose to the ip. Best part is the pumps allow flow when turned off so I get to experiment with the setup.

IMG_1160.jpg

Here is the aftermath of getting the truck stuck the other day. We pushed the dirt in as much as we could and it has dried up, but you get the idea.

IMG_1152.jpgIMG_1153.jpg

ke5eua

Well got a little done today. Put the finishing touches on the fuel pump assembly, and got the drivers front hub and drum assembly off. Had to use a 3/4 hammer impact to get the outer nut off, the 450 ft lb impact wouldn't budge it. I'm going to put some heat shrink on the pump assembly but I want to wait for the quick steel to fully set before adding heat to it.

Food for thought, I knew from reading that the assembly is heavy, but wow, it is heavy. Used my motorcycle jack to assist in getting it off.

IMG_1166.jpgIMG_1165.jpgIMG_1167.jpg

ke5eua

Well I have run into a little snafu.

The studs I ordered were shorter than the original ones. Can't return them as it was a special order item from napa. Got the part numbers from a thread on here, but that is in the past.

Put the hub assembly in the fmtv wheels and the stock studs don't even come to the top of the rim. They are aluminum rims so they are twice as thick.

So I have three options, use bud studs on all 6 tires to get the additional length needed, get more studs and spend another 200+, sell the 395's on aluminum wheels.

If I go the bud studs option I am at 155 plus shipping, new studs almost 300, sell the tires I would want what I have in them 1050.

Open to suggestions as the wife is not a happy camper right now, and if the wife ain't happy no body is happy.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Napa items can be returned back to their distribution center by a jobber or company owned store unless they went and purchased outside 3rd party. Talk to the store mgr. There might be a handling charge for the extra work and time they might need to sit on them before they can be "classed out". If you got them in Zachary, the store owner is Greg and a real nice guy. (tell him Juan says hello) It will also help to reorder the correct parts or use the credit for other items instead of a refund.

If they were purchased in Baton Rouge, those are company owned stores. They are pretty much obligated to "customer service" and give you a no hassle refund.

Option Z, wait till Jeff get back as he probably has buckets of thimbles and nuts in his yard. :)

ke5eua

Napa items can be returned back to their distribution center by a jobber or company owned store unless they went and purchased outside 3rd party. Talk to the store mgr. There might be a handling charge for the extra work and time they might need to sit on them before they can be "classed out". If you got them in Zachary, the store owner is Greg and a real nice guy. (tell him Juan says hello) It will also help to reorder the correct parts or use the credit for other items instead of a refund.

If they were purchased in Baton Rouge, those are company owned stores. They are pretty much obligated to "customer service" and give you a no hassle refund.

Option Z, wait till Jeff get back as he probably has buckets of thimbles and nuts in his yard. :)
Napa had to order them from the manufacture so they told me no refunds.

I'm weighing my options trust me.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be able to get the studs from any big truck service center. I broke one on my m915 and took what was left and got a new one. Just tell them the length you need.

ke5eua

Well today is a good day. Got the new studs on order yesterday, excited about that. Went an got my grandfathers 20 year sandblaster and converted it to use soda on it.

Got the drivers side tore down up to the knuckle. Ran into a little 40 year old, I don't want to come apart issue.

Going to soda blast everything before it goes back on so it's all fresh and clean in a like new state.

So far everything that has been taken off has been pressure washed to get all the old grease off, going to soda some things now to help with the flash rusting.

IMG_1196.jpgIMG_1197.jpgIMG_1198.jpgIMG_1199.jpgIMG_1200.jpg

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a nice build. but when i click on photos from post 2 I get this
[h=2]Message[/h]Invalid Attachment specified. The Attachment may have been deleted for various reasons. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW, 500 WATTS!!! Sounds like an overkill. What are you doing with all that power?