• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

KE5EUA's 818 Build

ke5eua

What antenna are you using? HF, VHF, UHF?
HF I'm using an AB-558 ran into a LDG-AT200PROII

UHF/VHF is a 1/4 antenna

I also have a sincgars antenna for my Radmor military radio, and a CB whip for the cb in the truck but the cb might get tossed out the window while going over the Atchafalaya, lol

For Radios I have a FT-857D, IC-880D, Radmor 3501, and the CB

ke5eua

Only thing I did today was add a safety barrier between me and the batteries.

I got to thinking today, what would happen in the event of a battery blowing up. Well, in it's current configuration I would look like two-face from batman.

So I took the bench seat back and took the frame off. Bolted it to the bench seat frame. Now I have a barrier between me and the batteries.

I'm going to grind off the seat brackets and put my switch panel on the sheet of metal.

My original goal was to restore to mainly stock but now I see I am going for what suits me. Exterior will remain mostly stock, minus the tires of course. Interior is what is getting the drastic change.

I am going to add a couple ardunio or basic stamp boards for diagnostic purpose, and to automate some process of startup and shutdown.

For startup basically you press start and it turns on the fuel pumps, waits 5 secs then activates the starter for 5 secs or if it starts in less time kills starter when it starts.

For shutdown, it would serve as a turbo timer of sorts. Allowing the engine to cool down per the sticker on the dash.

I have other ideas, like safety for oil pressure, air pressure, voltage, and other things as I plan on driving this more than a few times a month. I want it to be a daily driver.

IMG_1227.jpg

ke5eua

Got a little bit more done before the night.

Cut a notch for the transfer lever to fully engage in high, and cut the hole, ground down and riveted the switch panel in. I put the original switches in for appearance purposes only, switches will be changed as soon as I get my new ones in.

IMG_1229.jpgIMG_1228.jpgIMG_1230.jpgIMG_1231.jpg

I believe this is where I'm going to put the PLGR.

IMG_1232.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do you prefer to have the batteries in the cab with you? That huge exposed buss bar is a short/fire waiting to happen.

ke5eua

Why do you prefer to have the batteries in the cab with you? That huge exposed buss bar is a short/fire waiting to happen.
I'm getting odyssey batteries to put in the cab for 12v, and going to put 8 24v batteries ran in series parallel on the back deck in a box.

The bus bar has about a 1/4 inch before the metal but I understand what you are saying. Everything will come together safely, I promise.

There will be additional safety items put in place with the bus bar being exposed like that, and once I get the odyssey batteries the footprint will actually go down a little bit.

Jeepsinker

Cool. Have you driven your truck in the rain? Make sure the windshields seal very well. My truck pours water right where you have your radio placed when I drive in the rain. And a few other places too.

ke5eua

Cool. Have you driven your truck in the rain? Make sure the windshields seal very well. My truck pours water right where you have your radio placed when I drive in the rain. And a few other places too.
I need to get new seals for the doors and windows. Thanks for reminding me, I need to find them and get them on order.

Jeepsinker

Also check to see if you have the rubber gasket between the bottom of the windshield frame and the cowl. Lots of water comes in there too. Mine is missing. Driving my truck in the rain is like having a screen door for a windshield.

ke5eua

Day started so well. Went to home depot to get some acid for surface rust and paint removal. Got home and was greeted to a zone violation.

I'm going to fight it. If a rv can park in residential zoned areas then I should be able to also. They are going by appearance only, not what the vehicle is registered as, since it is registered as a historical vehicle I know I'm technically still in the right.

Untitled.jpg

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, you need to move out of E. Baton Rouge Parish (or any incorporated area) to a rural area where personal freedom still flourishes. The benefit is you can mostly do what you want on your property. The drawback is your neighbor can also do what he wants and you have to accept it.

ke5eua

Yep, you need to move out of E. Baton Rouge Parish (or any incorporated area) to a rural area where personal freedom still flourishes. The benefit is you can mostly do what you want on your property. The drawback is your neighbor can also do what he wants and you have to accept it.
I went to go talk to the person in charge of enforcement. As I was leaving the wife politely told me not to get arrested, she knows how I can get. He wasn't in, so I left a message.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Day started so well. Went to home depot to get some acid for surface rust and paint removal. Got home and was greeted to a zone violation.

I'm going to fight it. If a rv can park in residential zoned areas then I should be able to also. They are going by appearance only, not what the vehicle is registered as, since it is registered as a historical vehicle I know I'm technically still in the right.

View attachment 509383
That sucks!

Good luck and I hope you prevail!

Jeepsinker

That ordnance could be gotten around with a deuce tractor even if it wasn't plated as historical. A tractor trailer truck UNDER 15,000 pounds. That would get them good.

ke5eua

On another note, went to finish up the drivers side seals and realized I don't have a slide hammer, nor my grandfather. Off to Harbor Freight tomorrow morning and finish up the drivers side, then do the passenger side.

Once those are done I'll install my fuel pumps, temp wire them in and take the truck to my grandfathers where I can use the a-frame with hoist to help lift the tires and hubs.

Been focusing on the electrical side of the project I've let the mechanical side slip.

Got some more zep purple, and got some phosphoric acid for prepping the metal and surface rust.

It's all coming together, just slowly, lol

The end of the month is creeping quicker and quicker, the truck has to be done by September.

ke5eua

Alright, got stuff soaking in preparation for install tomorrow afternoon.

Inventoried my seals and I have referenced 4 out of 5 of the seals in the tm.

6 Inner Hub Seals
4 Outer Seals for rears
2 Inner Axle Seals for Spicer seal & retainer
2 Solid Boots

Now I have 6 pinion seals. I don't see pinion seals referenced in the front and rear wheel hub assemblies. I do however see them referenced in the following:

REAR AXLE DIFFERENTIAL THROUGH SHAFT,GEARS,AND FLANGE ASSEMBLIES
FRONT AXLE DIFFERENTIAL THROUGH SHAFT,GEARS,AND FLANGE ASSEMBLIES
TRANSFER COVER AND HOUSING ASSEMBLY,GASKETS,AND ACCESS PLATES
TRANSFER CASE COVERS,CAP,AND SEAL ASSEMBLY
TRANSMISSION CASE AND RELATED PARTS

So the question is, where do I put these 6 pinion seals?