• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

KE5EUA's 818 Build

ke5eua

That ordnance could be gotten around with a deuce tractor even if it wasn't plated as historical. A tractor trailer truck UNDER 15,000 pounds. That would get them good.
Yeah when I went and talked to him I asked whether he wanted the GVW or the actual vehicle weight as it sits. He seemed confused, and when I told him GVW is commonly short handed for GVWC he understood and told me it is the weight as it sits.

He was nice, and we spent more time talking about the truck than coming to a solution and talking about my neighbors. He said he drove by today to see what the vehicle was, told him to stop by anytime after I get the seals done and we can go for a ride.

ke5eua

Well waiting on more parts so I decided to get the grinder out and knock some paint and surface rust off and paint a little.

Before anyone says it, wife painted the hub and I have to take some fine sand paper to the bearing piece to get the paint off. I'm going to wait to do it so it will stay covered till I'm ready for it to go back in.

IMG_0001.jpgIMG_0002.jpgIMG_0005.jpgIMG_0006.jpgIMG_0007.jpgIMG_0008.jpg

Last edited:

ke5eua

So today I managed to get the passenger side tore down to the knuckle before the rain came down.

Put some on blaster on the top retainer and I'll mess with it tomorrow.

1943ht

K5, Enjoying your build as an M818 owner it's fun you see how others convert their vehicles ...appreciated your investigation into the stud issue and landed up purchasing that same stud for my front axle ... as my current studs are right on the edge with my HEMMIT Wheels ... I put a turbo on my 250 Cummins and it made quite a difference when I singled it out. All I have left to do on the mechanical side is to install my 10 speed Spicer Trany and mount my modified splash guards.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wehring sent me this picture of the correct lug nuts to be used with the aluminum Hutchington MRAP wheels you got from Premiere. I'm sure they must have plenty, one of us needs to go by there during the mini-rally.

Attachments

ke5eua

Wehring sent me this picture of the correct lug nuts to be used with the aluminum Hutchington MRAP wheels you got from Premiere. I'm sure they must have plenty, one of us needs to go by there during the mini-rally.
Defiantly a whole lot more threads on that, looks like it goes half way in the rim.

Hmm, now I am thinking and when I think money is usually spent, then the wife punishes me and not in the good way, lol

ke5eua

So my truck is fighting me every step of the way.

Still trying to get the passenger side knuckle off and now this happened. Alternating between sides trying to get the knuckle to break loose and the two bolt holes on the side, one smashed in.

IMG_0010.jpg

ke5eua

I'm almost to that conclusion.

I've been beating, heating, beating this d**m knuckle for a couple hours and all I've done is mar the arm on the knuckle and the bolt hole.

I managed to get two of the bushings out but two remain and refuse to budge.

I'm aggravated, wife is aggravated, I'm pretty much at that point again.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That is a easy fix, just drill or die grind out the smashed part, then retap.

ke5eua

Well I got the drivers side put together the other day and got the passenger side knuckle on yesterday.

Just have to bolt the back plate for the boot on the passenger side, reassemble the axle shaft and finish putting it back together.

All my switches came in, ordered a few more little odds and ends and just have to get some new seats.

Next week I will tackle to rear end and get the 395s on it.

ke5eua

Just got done ordering two new tie rod ends.

New bearings will be in today and hopefully by the end of the day I can get the tire back on. If not it will be on tomorrow for sure.

Electrical is going to be fun. That is where I shine.