• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

keep the 6.2 or go 454?

notsosanestan

Keep in mind a Cummins will be loud as **** and heavy. Plus the extra expense of adapting it to fit.
i dont really care about it being loud the truck i already really loud im just curious how well the th400 would be with a cummins attached to it.

hre513

i dont really care about it being loud the truck i already really loud im just curious how well the th400 would be with a cummins attached to it.
OK, it is louder than a 6.2. I think the th400 may have came behind a 6bt in step vans, or I may just be thinking of the 4bt.

WyoDeuce

Depends on if you are driving daily, towing or off roading. The diesel will suck off road in my opinion due to its narrow rpm range. Diesel fans will disagree but I like a gasser in a hardcore 4x4.
A stock used 454 is real common and is only worth $500 at best. The D60 front end in your k30 is worth more than the 454 th400 205 combined. I recently had a 454 rebuilt with new domed pistons and a full ballance job but that will set you back about $3000. The 454 and the 6.2 are so different it is hard to pick one without knowing what you are using the truck for.

jimmy-90

A cummins will die behind a 3spd th400 with 4.56 gears. It will need way higher gears or massive tires to get it to run in the rpm range that it likes to run in. Im dieing to put a cummins in my truck as well and have looked into it a good bit. From what i've come up with it cant be done for any really reasonable price due to the gear and drive train issues.

notsosanestan

A cummins will die behind a 3spd th400 with 4.56 gears. It will need way higher gears or massive tires to get it to run in the rpm range that it likes to run in. Im dieing to put a cummins in my truck as well and have looked into it a good bit. From what i've come up with it cant be done for any really reasonable price due to the gear and drive train issues.
What if I ran 3:55s and a 36 inch tire?

The YETI

Sell the 6.2 and the 454 and build a 383. less heat then the 454 , way more power then the 6.2 and less weight on the front end. and it will bolt in.

bighoss0331

if u want to keep the diesel turbo that 6.2 or be that guy and drop a 4-53t.if u want gas do the caddy swap.i swap my 454 with a little head work and a rv cam for a caddy 500 with the same same things done and holy chesty puller that thing is bad

Atwater

nv4500 in a stock o8 = 18mpg, 454= 8mpg maybe? in my opinion the 6.2 is fine as long as you are not towing/ hauling much2cents. p-pumped 5.9/nv4500 + 3.73s would be just about perfect:drool:

USAWEAPON777

If the 6.2 was good I'd say run it but since it needs work it's really up to you.IMHO the 6.2 is a decent engine I'd fix it and maybe add a turbo. But if ur craving power I can totally understand the 454 if you can swallow the extra $. I dd between a v10 ram and my m1008 so I know where your coming from.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks