• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Keyed Ignition Switch

Aruba1

I did a search and there are limited info on what "keyed" ignition switch is being used. Are these 12v or 24v? Any recommendation on a good and heavy duty switch? I found one on ebay but it's more like a tractor switch, I want a more fancy looking key. :D

scarab63

Should be able to use a CAT ignition / key. That's what I plan on doing. Not for theft purposes, but I'm afraid some kids gonna jump in and start flipping switches. For now I leave my trans in R so it can't be started on accident.

Aruba1

Awesome. I have keyed door knobs so I feel a little safe from people getting in the truck but I am more concerned in case I breakdown that the vehicle can be secured for a little bit till I can come and get it. Keyed ignition switch will give me that additional sense of security :).

I saw the ignition switch on their site and I thought it was a little more then my budget permits for an ignition switch, but I did get their keyed door handles :).

Should I be concerned with the amp on the starter? Or should I be looking for 24v starter switch? Thanks

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I can make you one out of a fancy Mercury marine switch. With an additional switched power lead you can use to control a relay and run accessories off of.

The HUlk

Should I be concerned with the amp on the starter? Or should I be looking for 24v starter switch? Thanks
The igntion switch does not need to be a high amp rating type. The start switch contacts send power to a solenoid that handles the starter amperage. A switch for a tractor or other utility vehicle should be fine even if it says 12V as long as it is rated for a few amps. Found the one below on google...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Unive...0&cadevice=m&gclid=CIScr8LFm8sCFZSCaQod5HEOxA

Last edited:

lindsey97

Caterpillar part # 7N0718. Master switch with 2 keys. Made by Cole Hersee.

This is what I use in my trucks installed in the front face of my battery box, on the ground side of the circuit. Inconspicuous and offers a layer of safety and security by killing all power to the truck and the slave port.

Aruba1

Thank you all!!! I have a 1972 GMC 1 ton truck that only ha an ignition key and no keys for the doors. I recently ordered matching ignition switch and door locks so I will be using the old ignition switch when I have time to replace it. Too many projects and not enough days in the weekend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks