• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Keyed Ignition Switch

Aruba1

I did a search and there are limited info on what "keyed" ignition switch is being used. Are these 12v or 24v? Any recommendation on a good and heavy duty switch? I found one on ebay but it's more like a tractor switch, I want a more fancy looking key. :D

scarab63

Should be able to use a CAT ignition / key. That's what I plan on doing. Not for theft purposes, but I'm afraid some kids gonna jump in and start flipping switches. For now I leave my trans in R so it can't be started on accident.

Aruba1

Awesome. I have keyed door knobs so I feel a little safe from people getting in the truck but I am more concerned in case I breakdown that the vehicle can be secured for a little bit till I can come and get it. Keyed ignition switch will give me that additional sense of security :).

I saw the ignition switch on their site and I thought it was a little more then my budget permits for an ignition switch, but I did get their keyed door handles :).

Should I be concerned with the amp on the starter? Or should I be looking for 24v starter switch? Thanks

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I can make you one out of a fancy Mercury marine switch. With an additional switched power lead you can use to control a relay and run accessories off of.

The HUlk

Should I be concerned with the amp on the starter? Or should I be looking for 24v starter switch? Thanks
The igntion switch does not need to be a high amp rating type. The start switch contacts send power to a solenoid that handles the starter amperage. A switch for a tractor or other utility vehicle should be fine even if it says 12V as long as it is rated for a few amps. Found the one below on google...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Unive...0&cadevice=m&gclid=CIScr8LFm8sCFZSCaQod5HEOxA

Last edited:

lindsey97

Caterpillar part # 7N0718. Master switch with 2 keys. Made by Cole Hersee.

This is what I use in my trucks installed in the front face of my battery box, on the ground side of the circuit. Inconspicuous and offers a layer of safety and security by killing all power to the truck and the slave port.

Aruba1

Thank you all!!! I have a 1972 GMC 1 ton truck that only ha an ignition key and no keys for the doors. I recently ordered matching ignition switch and door locks so I will be using the old ignition switch when I have time to replace it. Too many projects and not enough days in the weekend.