• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kicked out of my own driveway!

Capriceii

I am sad to say, but you need to get used to it. Remeber that these people who get upset, spend alot of time and energy into getting everything excatley the way they want it. They spend more time in city hall than the board of comminsours (I know spelling). If you want to protect your hobby, your going to need to put the same effort not into just that, but others as well. You need to get with every other person who comes close to identifing with your likes, and even those who dont (theres power in numbers) Whenever there is a zoning meeting you better be there to protect what you love and what you think is right. Thats what the other side is doing, they never miss a meeting. Never miss a opportunity to change things the way you want it.

If you really want to fix the system start small and run for office, you dont have to be liked, just not hated as much as the other person. Remeber that the voting is usually a very small turnout, so get your friends and neighbors to vote for you, and make your changes.

I know that my spelling and sentence structure are bad, but I am hungry. Take what you want from this.
Branan
Right on the money, not to get off topic. But if Me and 2 of my friends could start a group and get a CCW law passed in the State of Ohio, there is no reason I could not get a local zoning reg changed or ammended. When my M109 arrives, I know that if I have any issues, that with hard work and some will power I can make a change.

gel69

I do not live in a deed restricted community but in a historic distric....and also we do not have any co owners fees we sometime have the unpleasant suprise to see something similar poping up.....and no my 1983 red deuce ex Alachua county FD does not match my 1905 house but....nor does any vehicles in the block anyway.rofl

CycleJay

Just got a letter today from my local zoning enforcement officer stating that my beautiful bobbed M35 must be immediately removed from my driveway or I would be issued a violation carrying a fine. How disappointing, if my neighbors want to complain just tell me face to face. I likely would have graciously moved it out to my shop. I have one problem with the Article that was noted as the violation. The article states that "No commercial vehicle with a load capacity in excess of one ton be parked overnight to include semis and trailers." The M35 is not a semi. Admittedly it kind of looks like one. But, it is not. Anyway, I don't know what to do here. Now I feel like I have a responsibility to fight this for oppressed MV owners everywhere. All kidding aside, I do not intend to take this lying down. If the neighbor in question is too cowardly to make his/her grievance known to me face to face than I am obligated to point out that the vehicle is not commercial and therefore not in violation of the ordinance. Especially, considering that there are more 5th wheels and travel trailers parked in my neighborhood than at an RV lot and that is legal. Some people just have nothing better to do than complain. What would you fellow MV owners do?
Byrdo,

Very simply, You have got to FIGHT!, for your RIGHT!, to PARK!!
In your own drive way!

The M35 is a military cargo truck. NOT a commercial vehicle or a,
big rig with a 5th wheel...

If it were me, I would fight it. I would also find out who made the complaint,
and face that coward man to man, or man to woman, or man to wimp,
whichever the case may be.

And if you win, you never know, you may set/start a positive precedent for MV owners everywhere.. Now and in the future.

I am on your side.

Good night, good luck, and God speed.

CJ

WARWAG

Now this reminds me of a situation I was on about two years ago. I recieved an early morning vist (about 730am) from one of our County Sheriffs. He advised my wife that she had 24 hours to move an unregistered van that was parked on the back parking area on MY property. Apparently there is a ordinance stating you cant have a unregistered "motor" vehicle parked (visible) next to the street even if its on your own property. So I had the van towed to my brothers house in the next town over. After checking ALL of the county ordinances I discovered you can have as many unregistered trailers you want parked on your property and visible. So I bought 9 of the ugliest 3/4 trailers I could find on GL. That really pissed the lone county commisioner who was on a beautifying campaign in our little town. I have since sent the Sheriff to his property to issue him a notice of a few county violations. People shouldnt throw rocks when they live in a glass house!

GREAT JOB dealing with your problem. If you ever need some really ugly 3/4 ton trailers let me know :smile:. Oh and there still where I dumped them off the moving trailer. It looks pittiful. Even I am getting tired of looking at it! LMAO!

TheOxman

Something similar happened to me yesterday. I received a letter telling me to remove or repair and register my "inoperable and unlicensed vehicle" or face a daily $250 fine. I called the number on the letter and asked what vehicle they were talking about. They told me that a neighbor complained about my "Army truck" and that it doesn't run and doesn't have a tag.

I explained to the lady that I have a permanent antique tag and, per Florida law, am not required to display the license plate on my vehicle, only carry it with me. I also explained that the vehicle runs just fine and that I drive it weekly to and from work.

She is going to come out Monday and make sure it does run. Best part? She actually gave me the name of the complaining neighbor. I'm half tempted to drive the deuce 3 doors down, leave it running in front of his house, knock on his door, show him my antique plate and make him well aware of how operable my vehicle is...

But I know better. That wouldn't do anything good for the MV collector community. I am going to write him a letter letting him know that I would appreciate it if he brought his concerns to me next time.

mckeeranger

But I know better. That wouldn't do anything good for the MV collector community. I am going to write him a letter letting him know that I would appreciate it if he brought his concerns to me next time.
Offer to take him for a ride. Tell him if he ever needs something big moved, you are always available.

Seriously, try to be friends with him, you never know what can happen until you try.

If it doesn't work? Oh well, you tried to be the good neighbor, the ball is in his end of the court.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Offer to take him for a ride. Tell him if he ever needs something big moved, you are always available.

Seriously, try to be friends with him, you never know what can happen until you try.

If it doesn't work? Oh well, you tried to be the good neighbor, the ball is in his end of the court.
This is another opportunity to be a GOODWILL AMBASSADOR for the MV Hobby. May you be doubly blessed by this encounter - Gain a friend - Bolster the Hobby. :driver:

TheOxman

This is another opportunity to be a GOODWILL AMBASSADOR for the MV Hobby. May you be doubly blessed by this encounter - Gain a friend - Bolster the Hobby. :driver:
Thanks, guys. I definitely don't plan on being a jerk up front. I just wish the guy would have said something to me.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
years ago, when I lived in vista, ca, I had my 39 and 42 autocars, most of the time in my 6' fenced yard, only in the drive way if i was working on them or using the 39 as a DD, I had a lady 3 doors down sick the city on me, claiming that I had a commucal trucking business going on, found out she was trying to sell her place for way to much and thought the trucks keep her from selling, got the commucal thing taken care of( a 39 and 42 da) I had some "we don't gave a crap friends", we started parking different legal POSs in front of her house, 3 would fill up her whole front, then move or rotate them every THREE days so no ticket, this went on for about 2 months, when she did sell, she got a LOT less then she wanted

bratpackdad

I agree have a civil conversation with him. Many times the "complaining party" never complained. Frequently it's as simple as an inquiry about parking laws. He might have asked about the laws because he wants to park something at his house and just mentioned you have a MV at your house. Or if he did complain he is clearly afraid to approach you so go easy on him. My neighbor never talked to me until his house caught fire; after helping with the mess he said he had been scared of me. 2cents

WARWAG

Something similar happened to me yesterday. I received a letter telling me to remove or repair and register my "inoperable and unlicensed vehicle" or face a daily $250 fine. I called the number on the letter and asked what vehicle they were talking about. They told me that a neighbor complained about my "Army truck" and that it doesn't run and doesn't have a tag.

I explained to the lady that I have a permanent antique tag and, per Florida law, am not required to display the license plate on my vehicle, only carry it with me. I also explained that the vehicle runs just fine and that I drive it weekly to and from work.

She is going to come out Monday and make sure it does run. Best part? She actually gave me the name of the complaining neighbor. I'm half tempted to drive the deuce 3 doors down, leave it running in front of his house, knock on his door, show him my antique plate and make him well aware of how operable my vehicle is...

If it were me I would mount the plate on my front bumper and then drive it through his living room. That way he will be sure to see that 1. it is indeed a running vehicle and 2. that it is registered. 3. and my personal favorite is that he will learn to never **** with an MV owner again.

Ok so I wouldnt do that but it sure would be cool to watch.........

Do you have a video camera?

TexAndy

If it were me I would mount the plate on my front bumper and then drive it through his living room. That way he will be sure to see that 1. it is indeed a running vehicle and 2. that it is registered. 3. and my personal favorite is that he will learn to never **** with an MV owner again.

Ok so I wouldnt do that but it sure would be cool to watch.........

Do you have a video camera?

I don't care who ye are... that's funny. :-D

pamudbusters

I would NEVER live were I can't park what I want to in the driveway. We are still talking about the land of the free rite? But from what you said your in the clear in my book. I'd look into fighting this one as well.

Unforgiven

Now this reminds me of a situation I was on about two years ago. I recieved an early morning vist (about 730am) from one of our County Sheriffs. He advised my wife that she had 24 hours to move an unregistered van that was parked on the back parking area on MY property. Apparently there is a ordinance stating you cant have a unregistered "motor" vehicle parked (visible) next to the street even if its on your own property. So I had the van towed to my brothers house in the next town over. After checking ALL of the county ordinances I discovered you can have as many unregistered trailers you want parked on your property and visible. So I bought 9 of the ugliest 3/4 trailers I could find on GL. That really pissed the lone county commisioner who was on a beautifying campaign in our little town. I have since sent the Sheriff to his property to issue him a notice of a few county violations. People shouldnt throw rocks when they live in a glass house!

GREAT JOB dealing with your problem. If you ever need some really ugly 3/4 ton trailers let me know :smile:. Oh and there still where I dumped them off the moving trailer. It looks pittiful. Even I am getting tired of looking at it! LMAO!

nopics

Pretty please?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in a no-code area in AK. Basically you can build whatever you want. I could stack two trailers on top of each other and live in it, or just open my front door and chuck all my houshold trash out on the front lawn, or build a plywood and pallet shanty covered in plastic and live in it. (Yea, I didnt make up those examples, I've seen all them here).

My home is built to code, and unfortunately I don't own any large vehicles (yet), but it's nice to know you have the freedom to do whatever the heck you want. I am not looking forward to moving back down to the lower 48, I'll probably end up somewhere near a city, and urban living is not for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks