• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kicked out of my own driveway!

goldneagle

I tried the PR concept and have taken one of my M35's in the 4th of July parade in town every year for the past 8 years. Sometimes I carry veterans, sometimes the boy scouts, and sometimes the local softball team.

I also keep all my trucks inside my garage.

But my next door neighbor is on the 5 member town council (along with her brother) and does not like the fact that I own army trucks. Or have a large garage, etc.

First "The Village" where I live enacted an ordnance that prohibited any truck with more than two axles from parking on any street. (not that I ever have) Then they created a second ordnance prohibiting any truck with more than two axles from driving on any street except Main street. (They couldn't include main street as it is a State Rt.) When I ask for an exclusion for classic vehicles they denied it and the council president said he didn't think I should be allowed to own vehicles that size in town and that he would go to the zoning board and see if he could force me to get rid of them.

Now they have changed the rules for the 4th of July parade (that goes down Main St.)to prohibit any vehicle with more than two axles. Busses are O.K., Tractors and hay wagons are O.K., fire trucks are O.K. (even if they have more than two axles as they are emergency vehicles)

Even my wife is finally fed up with them and says we should boycott the parade. I hate to let them win, and could now use my bobbed deuce, but I am getting the message that they really hate military trucks. I guess symbols of the US Military are not acceptable in this town, even though it's the only remaining 4th of July parade left in this county.

Bill
Michigan
TOWN COUNCIL is not the town! You should know by now that politicians do not serve the community, they serve their own interests!

If I were you i would try to get a citizen petition to allow you to drive your vehicle on the streets etc. I am sure that the trash trucks are allowed on the same streets so it is not a weight issue. Remind your fellow citizens that once they allow their COUNCIL to make rules that say you can't do..... next time it might be them who are the target of some you can't do ........

When I moved down SOUTH I was making a statement about "they should have a law against that" My friend said that is how it all starts. Next thing you know there are laws that restrict the rights that you once had. In other words sometimes its better to put up with certain things than to have the gov't regulate every aspect of your life like in NJ. In NJ you need a permit to take a sh*t!!!

The more you allow CITY COUNCIL to control your life the more they will abuse that power. You can also help run the campaign to elect a replacement for the council member that is your neighbor. If you can get them replaced then you may be able to get ordinance removed.

Nickathome

I'd ignore the first letter. Its nothing but a scare tactic to get you to knuckle under. Don't fall victim. Contact a lawyer make sure you're in the right, then next time a "letter arrives" return it with a cease and desist note from your lawyer's office or they will take action in the name of their client(you). Most times, the mention of a lawyer getting involved will end the harassement....

saddamsnightmare

March 2nd, 2010.

Goldneagle:

Join the crowd! It seems that every minor town has an Il Duce who wants to be the grand dictator of how other people live their lives and use their property. I might suggest hire the lawyer, let 'im loose, and if it has to go to court, go for the punitive damages[thumbzup]. Most towns hate to pay out money to residents. I keep telling you folks it's catching, first Califonia, then Wisconsin, NOW Louisiana!!! What would Justin Wilson say to that..... (God rest his soul). Good luck, Happy Hunting, and I can advise you how General Sheridan would have handled the problem.....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan;-)

Amer-team

First don't ignore the first letter. It is better to hit it back over the net than to lose a point as it goes flying by without taking a swing. If there is a time limit such as 30 days, wait till 28 and send a note back stating that you disagree with this finding, listing your facts to back up your claim.

This makes them have to do a response and there is usually another time period in which you are able to respond. Time is your friend.

Usually they will quote some code, which most of us are not familiar with. Go find a copy of the code or ordinance and read it.

This initial thread was pretty much a slam dunk as they cited commercial vehicles.

If on the second letter, they continue to cite dire consequences, look for a letter from your attorney, such as has been cited in previous threads. When looking for your attorney, look for someone local. Maybe the city municipal judge or the prosecuting attorney if they hire from outside. Part time judges and part time prosecutors will usually have a practice on the outside.

We all need to have our wills updated and if the municipal judge is your lawyer outside of this complaint, the city may need to hire an outside judge to preside should you need to go court on your issue. If the assistant city prosecutor is your lawyer, they will need to get someone else to represent the city in your case. More money outlay for the city for a losing case. If you happen to speak with the lawyer about other issues, such as your military vehicle woes, while discussing your business, they are bound by attorney client privilege.

Most important, be pleasant, know the rules, write concise responses, and beat them with their own rule book. Following these rules, you will have been there when they came and you will be there when they are gone.

Congratulations on a successful conclusion to your MV issue.

rwbrown72

Next: 2 axle trailers, motor cycles with more than one cylinder, blue cars and rock and roll are banned. What next? Send the city council a copy of "Footloose".

I agree with the previous posts.... you have to be polite and have the facts, but don't give up the fight.

bart6453

I can say this...make very sure to do your homework and get all your poop in a group before you do anything. If you think creatively enough you can weasel in and out of nearly any ordinance or law. Even though many ordinances and laws seem set in stone, just think out of the box on your usage and such.

Once you find out the angle, you just have to convince someone with the power that your angle is the right one.

You get more bees with honey than you do with vinegar and there is more than 2 ways to skin a cat.

miltruckman

Next was:

"No storage of firewood outside." (I had a face cord of wood for the fire place neatly stacked between my house and garage.) Turns out I was the only person in the entire town that had any firewood. We looked.

"No accessory structures over 17 ft tall". (my garage/pole barn is 24 ft tall) and will be the last tall garage built here.

"No outside heating systems". (I had applied for a permit for a wood furnace) They never did grant it, as the ordinance was rushed through first.

Bill

Next: 2 axle trailers, motor cycles with more than one cylinder, blue cars and rock and roll are banned. What next? Send the city council a copy of "Footloose".

I agree with the previous posts.... you have to be polite and have the facts, but don't give up the fight.

bart6453

Next was:

"No storage of firewood outside." (I had a face cord of wood for the fire place neatly stacked between my house and garage.) Turns out I was the only person in the entire town that had any firewood. We looked.

"No accessory structures over 17 ft tall". (my garage/pole barn is 24 ft tall) and will be the last tall garage built here.

"No outside heating systems". (I had applied for a permit for a wood furnace) They never did grant it, as the ordinance was rushed through first.

Bill
WOW...what did you do to make them that mad????

Did you dip your dobber in the wrong ink???

miltruckman

I'm not sure? I keep a very neat place. I guess it is just to dare to be different.

We purcased a wreck of a house that was infested with roaches and I gutted and rebuilt the entire thing. It took three years of my life. (and $3000 in permits) It's now nicer than most houses in town. I'll post a couple of photos.

It must be that politically incorrect army trailer in the driveway!

Bill

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'll post a couple of photos.
Quite impressive. I see the yellow van from the infamous 11 truck recovery adventure. rofl

I love all the detail work you did to the house, like hiding all the electrical wiring on the side of the house.

rwbrown72

I'm not sure? I keep a very neat place. I guess it is just to dare to be different.

We purcased a wreck of a house that was infested with roaches and I gutted and rebuilt the entire thing. It took three years of my life. (and $3000 in permits) It's now nicer than most houses in town. I'll post a couple of photos.

It must be that politically incorrect army trailer in the driveway!

Bill
Did you get permission to change the color from S*&ty to blue? Don't you know that this is the kind of thing that makes the people "In CHARGE of everything" crazy. I think the house looks great and the trailer too. Get yourself a ball cap from Fordham University and wear it to the city council meeting. Most people won't get it, but it will be funny to those that do. Just think about Penn States hats... PSU. What would a Fordham university have on it?

stumps

...Get yourself a ball cap from Fordham University and wear it to the city council meeting. Most people won't get it, but it will be funny to those that do. Just think about Penn States hats... PSU. What would a Fordham university have on it?
Last I looked, Fordham University hats had either a very large "F", or a rams head on them. It's a Jesuit college, I really doubt they would allow a hat with "FU" to be sold on their behalf... You know, decorum, and all that stuff.

-Chuck

Stalwart

It is just a matter of time before the Yard Police visit me, I'm suing a neighbor for severly limiting my access to my home(70 year old recorded easement, constantly in use since then). His attorney has sent some not so veiled threats about code compliance, but my MV's live inside the garage and the code clearly states: ". . . no commercial vehicles over 10,000 lbs. . . ." Years ago they had to leave my Stalwart alone 'cause it is registered as a boat. There are no commercial vehicles here but that probably won't stop the harassment. They can't understand that cutting a 25' easement down to 6-8 feet isn't quite kosher. :cookoo:

miltruckman

I actually had several quotes for Quonset buildings for my garage then found out that "accessory structures" have to be of "similar construction styles" That is why I ended up building a pole building sided to match the house for my truck collection.

The garage was done, and had passed all the final inspections, when I came home from work to find the building inspector there measuring the height. I ask why and he said "people" were concerned that it was taller than the allowed 25 ft for a garage. it measured 24 ft 8-1/2 inches tall so it was O.K.

He stopped by a couple of weeks later and told me that they were changing the rules because of me. He said the new height limit would be 17ft 6 inches. The height of a standard two gar garage with an 8/12 pitch roof. They didn't want anyone else to build a garage that tall again.

I couldn't go any larger for the footprint anyway, as there is a lot coverage rule of 25% and I have now covered 24.98% of my lot there in town.

I am thinking that when the house is finally paid off in 5 years or so, to buy another piece of property outside of town and put up another building to store my trucks in. We'll see. Times are getting pretty tough. And I think this recession is just getting started.

Bill

Stalwart

I couldn't have an accessory building larger than 1000 sq.ft. so I added a 40' x 90' garage to my house and it became a remodel.

KsM715

I know no one wants to give in, and I applaud you for standing your ground but that town does not sound like anywhere I'd want to live anyways. I say start saving your pennies, sell the house, find a place just outside of their jurisdiction and do everything that they cant stand.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wow and you all live in the good ol USA... man o man.. i live in the country.. not that far out of the small town of ponchatoula. not one bothers much about anything.. but in the subs the do get pretty strick. no out side kept boats or rvs in the newest ones. 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks