• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kicked out of my own driveway!

miltruckman

I don't live in a subdivision. No deed restrictions. They are actual ordinances (laws for this town) passed as my neighbor finds things she does not like, and makes the laws to fit her vision of the world. It's pretty scary!

Bill

KsM715

Do you have a VFW or anything like that in your town? I'd contact them and let them know how the members of your town council feel about historic MV's. Let them know the town is specifically writing laws just to keep you from driving your MV. You, the members of the VFW, anyone else on your side and someone from the press (not the local paper but someone from a near by town) need to pay a visit at the next council meeting.

That would be a start. You could also run for a council seat. Get a friend or 2 to run also. It is your town, just as much as it is theirs. Why not run them out. Just about as easy.

rwbrown72

Last I looked, Fordham University hats had either a very large "F", or a rams head on them. It's a Jesuit college, I really doubt they would allow a hat with "FU" to be sold on their behalf... You know, decorum, and all that stuff.

-Chuck
I was making a joke.... Did you not get it? I've paid a lot of money to Georgetown. My wife went there. Just got it all paid for. Again, just a joke. Lighten up.

Gastrap

Glad it turned out well!

I actually called my CLEO and City clerk before bidding on my Deuce. They said no problem as long as it's registered and in working order. At this time, my city still allows semi tractors on private property, but the neighboring town wont even allow them to drive the streets unless making a delivery.

About one week after I brought it home, I heard a police call on the radio to an address close to me to "speak with a woman about a truck". Cop wasn't there very long.:mrgreen:

mrcucv

Yeah houses are being built around me and im getting complaints about driving my tractor around. Who cares if its getting dark out they make headlights on em for a reason you know. Never mind when im working on vehicles

Spook556

Wow - Miltruckman, it sounds like she has made you her special target. She may even believe she is being reasonable.

People have mentioned the VFW, the Legion, the Boy Scouts. In situations like this, if you can get a hook with one of them, half your battle will have been won (assuming they have a reasonably large membership locally). Getting involved in parades and such is great, of course. If you have a local paper, start writing the occasional folksy letter on military-related holidays and special dates; no need to even mention your vehicle in the first few. Just get a background, a track record, of being a patriot with a sense of history.

Eventually, when the ordinances roll, it is easy (especially if you have some friends who can write as well) to make these targeted regulations look like, well, targeted regulations. Against a patriot's veteran military vehicle. Even a council member is a politician, and a politician will never win going up against something like that.

YMMV.

Spook

seve7

I know no one wants to give in, and I applaud you for standing your ground but that town does not sound like anywhere I'd want to live anyways. I say start saving your pennies, sell the house, find a place just outside of their jurisdiction and do everything that they cant stand.

its michigan, you cant sell a house there. i cant believe all these problems up in birch run, thats totally insane. i used to live in oakland county and i know a guy who built what seems like a 30ft barn with a built in elevator and a cement floor second story for parking cars and stuff upstairs. its seriously like 30,000 sq ft total, its massive.

what do they say about erecting the ugliest 60ft ham radio antenna in your front yard?

Barneyszoo

Just got popped for having the 813 on jack stands in the driveway. Only had the wheels off to paint the underside, the guy wouldn't even give me five min the put the wheels back on, said I;d get something in the mail and have 30 days to comply. WOW

ImONPoint.org

How nice of them to allow you to comply immediately when you offered, what a joke. I can't stand HOA crap, tried it once and that was enough for me. Can't wait to move back into the country...

nhdiesel

City, country, it doesn't matter. In my town (and others I have lived in in NH) all it takes are the few busy-bodies who run the town to vote themselves in a new ordinance and you are in trouble. If you bring home a purple pontoon boat, the couple people on the zoning board vote that purple pontoon boats are not allowed within view of neighbors, or even on your property at all, and you have to get rid of the boat.

In my old town, I wanted to start a small garage. My property was zoned Commercial/Residential. The town had a 1-man zoning board, who just happened to own a garage almost across the street from me. Word got around, and POOF, my property was rezoned to Residential only. No hopes of a garage there.

In pretty much any town in this state, the majority of the neighbors rule, or else 1 big-mouthed one who makes trouble ends up ruling. If they don't like my Deuce, a few phone calls or a meeting with the selectmen and/or zoning board and Military vehicles will suddenly be a violation. I keep myself somewhat safe by letting people know that if the town gives me a hard time, I'll make sure I have a yard my neighbors will absolutely HATE, but it will comply. Pink house maybe, I can paint my vehicles with florescent paint that glows at night, maybe install a bunch of spotlights that light the area up like daylight. We are allowed animals, so I remind them what duck crap smells like on a hot day, and how many would fit on my 3 acres.

There are no such things as property rights any more. We can only blame ourselves, everyone likes restrictions on anything that doesn't affect us and don't fight new regulations...UNTIL they suddenly DO affect us. By then its too late.

The only solution is to spread the word, and take on the towns and cities.

Jim

maynard83

Welcome to the New World Order. My father and aunts, who are from Germany and remember Nazi Germany, have told me that what has been going on all over our country reminds them of Germany leading up to WWII. Some older Polish folks I know are commenting the same thing about our government acting just like the communists during their time and before Poland became a democracy and they are puzzled as to why since it was Ronald Reagan and the Pope who worked so hard to help free Poland of communism.
So know my Dad spends a great deal of his time on the beach on the Pacific side of South America and only comes back to hang out with his grandkids and to take advantage of the healthcare system before Obama Care takes over. (he is hoping to get his other hip replaced before next year).
So my advise is to be the biggest pain the arse and don't let these people with a Napolean complex use their position to legislate your rights away. All it takes is one of us to get the vast majority to support you.

rwbrown72

Welcome to the New World Order. My father and aunts, who are from Germany and remember Nazi Germany, have told me that what has been going on all over our country reminds them of Germany leading up to WWII. Some older Polish folks I know are commenting the same thing about our government acting just like the communists during their time and before Poland became a democracy and they are puzzled as to why since it was Ronald Reagan and the Pope who worked so hard to help free Poland of communism.
So know my Dad spends a great deal of his time on the beach on the Pacific side of South America and only comes back to hang out with his grandkids and to take advantage of the healthcare system before Obama Care takes over. (he is hoping to get his other hip replaced before next year).
So my advise is to be the biggest pain the arse and don't let these people with a Napolean complex use their position to legislate your rights away. All it takes is one of us to get the vast majority to support you.
:ditto:

dc3coyote

I am sad to say, but you need to get used to it. Remeber that these people who get upset, spend alot of time and energy into getting everything excatley the way they want it. They spend more time in city hall than the board of comminsours (I know spelling). If you want to protect your hobby, your going to need to put the same effort not into just that, but others as well. You need to get with every other person who comes close to identifing with your likes, and even those who dont (theres power in numbers) Whenever there is a zoning meeting you better be there to protect what you love and what you think is right. Thats what the other side is doing, they never miss a meeting. Never miss a opportunity to change things the way you want it.

If you really want to fix the system start small and run for office, you dont have to be liked, just not hated as much as the other person. Remeber that the voting is usually a very small turnout, so get your friends and neighbors to vote for you, and make your changes.

I know that my spelling and sentence structure are bad, but I am hungry. Take what you want from this.
Branan

airmech3839

I am going thru something similar.. One busy-body in the neighborhood complained and now I am jumping thru hoops. I hope that even if I do fail to get permission to park my deuce in my driveway that I will become such a pest to the commissioners that they will have to do something about the MV hobby... Like codes that exclude them for historic purposes.. Thats my plan!

Tracy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks