• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kicked out of my own driveway!

AceHigh

who says a Bobbed m35 has a load capacity over 1 ton ? This truck has been altered from its orginal design and therefore the capacity from the manufacturer no longer applies.

If you bobbed the truck yourself then simply tell them that with the new configuration the truck is now rated at 3/4 ton.

Make them pay to prove it's not ?
But but but it LOOKS big!

M920

byrdo,

I'm very sorry to hear about your trouble! But I can so relate to your issue today!!!! It just so happens that my Neighbor stopped by today and informed me that he was on a "mission"!
Turns out he was in his capacity spear-heading the local "Anti Military Junk" movement.

After he proceded to asked me, on behalf of the "movement", if I had any plans on relocating myself (and my "Junk Yard" of course) any time in the near future and after me having to listen to his concerns about dropping real estate values around me, it became painfully obvious, that my neighbors don't seem to like me very much.

He also kept insulting me, by refering to my military vehicle collection as "JUNK and JUNK-YARD"!!!!

Now I agree, that I probably do have an "above average" accumulation of fine military Transport in my yard, but they are all in running condition and licensed!!!

He then got even more offensive and tried to convince me that any military vehicle, regardles of condition, was viewd by the "Public" as JUNK!!!!!!

It was at that point, that I realized, that I had to make the decission for him, to leave my property immediately, since his safety was obviously getting severely "JEPARDIZED" by his rude comments.......

Lucky for me there are no covenants for the area that I live in, so there is not much that they can do, but......It's just sad that some people have nothing better to......

You should just get a copy of the zoneing reg's in your neighborhood and figure out your rights.

Here in New Mexico anything can be licensed as an RV....it is determined by it's use, not it's apperance!
So my trucks are all RV's! lol

I don't know what the reg's are for an RV registration in your state but it might be worth checking in to....

Good Luck......

Soni

KsM715

AaronW

byrdo,

He also kept insulting me, by refering to my military vehicle collection as "JUNK and JUNK-YARD"!!!!
Soni, I've followed your builds in the mags for a long time (was the dodge war wagon the first?). I would be happy to testify that your "junk" is truly art and engineering masterpiece! Gad to head your neighbor didn't trip and ram his mission-minded noggin on a piece of iron.

-Aaron

M920

Well thank you Aaron!

This is not the first time somthing like this happened to me......why is it that apperantely one military vehicle in my yard constitutes an "EYESORE" and more than two military vehicles are considered a "JUNK-YARD"....... Just makes me sad, how "narrow minded the general public has gotten.....

acmunro

I think there should be a new ordinance. If you don't like how something looks don't look at it. I live in the country. I can't see any neighbors from my place nor can they see me. I still get grief from my township. They just make up the rules as they go along. I got a letter this fall from the township they changed the rules - I removed some things to comply. A week and a half ago I get a large fine in the mail stating since I didn't appeal the letter I am in violation. - guilty. This is anything but a free country. We pay taxes so these idiots can tell us what to do. My hearing date is this Tuesday.

Crash_AF

My neighbors hate me... The old lady two houses down didn't waste any time when I brought my 818 home. It was in the driveway for less than 12 hours when she asked my girlfriend what I had that big green ugly truck for. When it stayed there for more than 2 weeks, she called code enforcement and said I had a junk big truck in the yard. When the head inspector came by, I invited him for a ride around the block (he declined) and stated that since it was a complete truck, it wasn't junk and therefore there was no violation.

When my 816 came home, he got another call about a truck over 14k lbs being parked on the curb. *same type of ordinance as the OPs* and once I explained that by Colorado Revised Statutes, the definition of my large military vehicle not being used in commerce was an RV, and therefore exempt from the clause. I showed him copies of the applicable statutes that I had printed off of the internet, and he agreed that there was no violation and sent the busybody down the street a letter telling her to quit wasting his time. :-D

Call the code enforcement/zoning officer and request a meeting to discuss the citation. Explain that the vehicle is basically a large pickup truck and is not being used for commercial purposes but is a historic hobby vehicle. If that doesn't work, request a meeting with his supervisor. Beyond that is court, and you might want to retain an attorney at that point.

I would NOT move the vehicle as that will send the message that you are admitting that you are in the wrong. I went so far as to put a piece of posterboard in the windshield of my trucks that said in big letters "I am an RV" with the statute stapled underneath and left the 816 parked in the middle of my front yard for a month.

Later,
Joe

goldneagle

This is the same reason i left NJ and moved to Louisiana. They told me i could not keep my 14000 LB Isuzu NPR truck in my driveway because it was a commercial vehicle over 5000 lbs. I was paying $600 per month on less than 1/4 acre property in taxes. The neighbor down the street had an old beat up camper bigger than my truck but was legal because it was not commercial.

You pay all kinds of money in taxes and you have no rights on your own property!

In Louisiana I have 2 40' shipping containers, my ISUZU truck and 2 MV plus trailers and I'm legal. A lot more property rights down here than up north. My property is in a development and covers 1/2 acre yet no one complains of what i do in my own yard!!!

I will put up with the **** heat and humidity for the freedom to do as i wish on my own property!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish somebody would open up a MV "junk yard" next to my place. That way we could swap parts :-D.

I hate it when threads like this come up. Even if you win the legal battle neighbors can still make your life he11. I had a run-in with a neighbor when I filled in a sink hole next to the property line. He called the state on me for illegal dumping. He said I was dumping debris in the hole ( I wasn't it was just fill dirt). I won with the state but that really made him mad. Got to where he would watch me with binoculars any time I was messing around close to his property trying to catch me doing something he could get me in trouble with. He would also call the cops any time I shot a firearm (saying I was shooting at his house). He finally died. While I don't wish death on anybody, it sure did make my life easier.

tm america

i had the same problem with merrillville they said the same thing i told them if they think they are right go right ahead and tow it. as i reminded them it is plated as an antique and has antique insurance to and is not for hire and then i gave them an idea of how much the tow bill and law suit will cost them to have it towed back to my house since it is not in violation of any law.funny when the cop actually got off there lazy butt and walked back to see the plate they never messed with me about it again:roll:go figure:?:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
byrdo,

I'm very sorry to hear about your trouble! But I can so relate to your issue today!!!! It just so happens that my Neighbor stopped by today and informed me that he was on a "mission"!
Turns out he was in his capacity spear-heading the local "Anti Military Junk" movement.

After he proceded to asked me, on behalf of the "movement", if I had any plans on relocating myself (and my "Junk Yard" of course) any time in the near future and after me having to listen to his concerns about dropping real estate values around me, it became painfully obvious, that my neighbors don't seem to like me very much.

Now I agree, that I probably do have an "above average" accumulation of fine military Transport in my yard, but they are all in running condition and licensed!!!

He then got even more offensive and tried to convince me that any military vehicle, regardles of condition, was viewd by the "Public" as JUNK!!!!!!

It was at that point, that I realized, that I had to make the decission for him, to leave my property immediately, since his safety was obviously getting severely "JEPARDIZED" by his rude comments.......

Lucky for me there are no covenants for the area that I live in, so there is not much that they can do, but......It's just sad that some people have nothing better to......

You should just get a copy of the zoneing reg's in your neighborhood and figure out your rights.

Here in New Mexico anything can be licensed as an RV....it is determined by it's use, not it's apperance!
So my trucks are all RV's! lol

I don't know what the reg's are for an RV registration in your state but it might be worth checking in to....

Good Luck......

Soni
Soni,

I bet this is the same "knuckle-dragger" type who complains about coal smoke from the local money maker. Kind of like those "college town numb-skulls" over in Durango.

How 'bout your ne'er-do-well neighbor sell his "deflated" valued property to me and we can play army trucks all we want?? No complaints here. Just let me drive that 920 around the block:driver:.

----------------------------

byrdo...fight the good fight. Don't let somebody else sell your rights up the river.
Like many have said before..."If you don't like it, Then don't look at it."

m37_power

I just cant believe some people anymore. Im lucky in the fact i hid my m37 in my garage when i brought it home, thinking that people would act the same way. When i moved my truck out of the garage for a few days to clean, all my neighbors stopped by. They were all amazed by the truck. Its just sad that people call them eyesores or junk. I dont go to the city about the lowered honda civics in my neighborhood with coffee cans for exhausts. I think they are eyesores, but to each his own. Fight it, but move your truck in the mean time. Make sure to beep and wave at your neighbors when you move it back to your house though.... :-D also, keep us all updated with what happens.

joeypushjr1

wow.. hope you fight and win.. but lie everyone is saying its not commerical. but in ohio here anything over 13K lbs. have to be plated commerical . unless you do antique and what not . so it would affect me if my neighbors complained. cause my town has a no vehicleover 10k allowed to part in driveways. so im lucky i have neighbors like my truck..so again like others say be sure to check all your ordienences, first..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks