• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

L-19 Birdog Restoration; Operational History Wanted!!

FromTheDust

L-19-Bird dog-best-w-brdr.jpg

I have an L-19 Birdog that is currently under restoration. It's currently in the jig, so far we have replaced the gearbox along with some fuselage skins. It's a long way from being ready to fly again. However, parts and pieces are ready for paint and final assembly stages. We have taken it as far apart as we plan and now it's on the way back together.

So, I am looking for someone who may be able research operational history of this airplane. It was OD Green when we got it, the best we can tell it was operated by the Army. I know it was exported during delivery. Currently we are planning on putting the Arctic Grey Air Force paint scheme on it. But if I had operational history especially with an inservice picture, I would paint it to match.

I had the service history of my M35A2 tracked down here on Steel Soilders. Does any one know if anyone does the same thing for Aircraft?

Aircraft Information Known;
Cessna Serial Number: 21379
Military Serial Number: 50-1655
Contract Number: AF33(038 )-13282
Date of Manufacture: 04/30/1951
Drawing Number: D-600
Assignment: Export
Model - Plant: L19A - Pawnee
Notes: JG1061 USA

Thanks,
Pete

Last edited:

jasonjc

I just found this on google. Looks like it spent most of it military time in the Japanese military.

L-19A
11061/IV
(ex. 50-1655)
4th Aviation Squadron
Camp Metabaru
(Nov.19, 1967)
ITAZUKE-1
No.11359

L-19A
11061/VI
(ex. 50-1655)
6th Aviation Squadron
Camp Jinmachi
(Feb.1, 1974)
Straight Wings
No.11528

http://www.gonavy.jp/bbs2-o1.html

Attachments

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So now what you gonna do? Paint Stars and Bars on it or a big Rising Sun?
What does the record package/logs look like?

FromTheDust

I don't think I'm gonna paint the rising sun on it.

The records look pretty good, we have all the registrations and 337s since it was converted to civilian. The guy down at the local FSDO office printed everything they had on record for us. Not sure about logbooks. We got it from Duff/ACME a Aircraft on Colorado. Got a truck full of parts and pieces, almost a whole airplane.

When I get some time I'll post some pictures.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good deal, to bad you weren't a lot closer, I'd give you a hand, Cessna's are real simple a/c.
Take pics and keep us posted.
JC

FromTheDust

I haven't been working on this project for the last month or so, other things at work are getting done. I last thing I did was getting the horizontal stab cleaned up. I think I will be working on this project again next week, and hopefully continual progress until its flying. It's time to focus and get this bird out of the jig. In the meantime here are some pictures of what I have going on. Enjoy Picture Time!! :D
photo 1 (1).jpgphoto 4 (1).jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 5 (1).jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 3.jpg

kenpartney

Hello, I hope your Birddog is in the air now, Mind suffered a ground loop and is in need of repair. Do you have any parts leads for a left wing plus other parts. Thanks Ken 805-649-8062

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks