• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lack of motivation

Cucvnut

It seems I am in a rut when it comes to the M1008. I really don't have the motivation to fix all the issues I have with it. I wrote everything down. But I still cant get my self to fix it. Its been sitting 6 months and im like bleh when I look at it. I try to get friends to come gimme a hand but no one will. Its quite depressing. Help!

zout

Pack your arse up and come over here to Ga with the unit - I can show you motivational skills = only problem is your going to have to figure out what your plans are for another project after a week of being with me.

Just a hint - do not plan on early coffee - breakfast or lunch as all you can look forward to is a very late dinner.

(bring a bottle of Crown as well)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get off your butt, or I'll BAN you!

How's that for motivation?

epartsman

Tighten up. That Steel Soldier of yours needs a medic and youre it! Just get started and fix one thing. I find the satisfaction of accomplishing one thing motivates me to move onto another. Showing the beast off afterwards has it's rewards as well as giving you the drive to go further. Push on through it man just find a place and start and determine from the getgo that the word quit is not in your vocabulary! Anything can be fixed with patience, perserverance, and a little $. Just look at it, looks like it wants to fight doesnt it and the only thing holding it back is you! Move out Soldier!!!

dstang97

for someone that is on here as much as you i can't believe its been down for 6 months. Just looking at it would be enough motivation for me.

southdave

I understand this what I do.. Is spend way to much $$$ on some part and I feel quilty for it than I have to install it. thats why I have heated leather seats in my 1009 and A/C. the trick is to do it in small increments and plan for almost every contigencey. and get to wrenching

zout

I can fix no motivation - depression - pissin and whining in a heatbeat.

Understand the lack of $ at times - but there is alway something to do.
Did I mention Zout does not own a TV.

aggopian

If it's the one from your build thread, which appears to be your only one....GET CRACKIN!!!

Put in the new IP and take it for a run that will put a smile on your face AND a fire under your but!

Unless everything goes sideways then theres always a can of gas and a lighter...LOL

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
I can fix no motivation - depression - pissin and whining in a heatbeat.

Understand the lack of $ at times - but there is alway something to do.
Did I mention Zout does not own a TV.
Your married you dont own anything! :mrgreen:

Cucvnut

if you don't want the truck sell it, if you do then get moving.
I never said I wanted to sell it. its just MIA right now.

for someone that is on here as much as you i can't believe its been down for 6 months. Just looking at it would be enough motivation for me.
You know that's true. I think part of it is that being on a limited budget vs when i had a job makes a big difference.
So what are it's issues?
  1. In stall my Dh relay.
  2. Fix up wiring on the fire wall.
  3. Change the fuel line hard and rubber.
  4. Install a new lift pump.
  5. Change out my hydro boost or repair mine.
  6. Do a filter change on the Th400.
  7. Change diff fluid on the 60 and 14ff.
  8. Take of front drive shaft and cut aobut 2 inches off it and re weld it.
  9. Change out my AC60G plugs.
  10. In stall my Trans cooler and fan.
  11. Take out the IP i jsut installed and put in part i forgot to install.( re install IP)
  12. Find The parts to connect the IP to the throttle cable ( small clip and parts I need them).
  13. Mount interior cage to cab.
  14. Install new tires and rims (that will happen next weekend)

Thats about it right now.

I did not say that, the kinder/gentler me is visiting

I can really relate to depression and no motiviation, it really sucks
Thats just Dale off his meds I know when he is kidding. yes Depression is not fun.

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand how you feel, I have had mine for about 5 months, working one day a week with no seat time since I bought it.

It is sitting at my brothers, and each weekend I would go up and work on something from morning until night. I probably replaced a few things that were fine as-is, but I wanted the truck to be flawless (well as flawless as an M35A2 can be anyway). Then each weekend that I thought I was close to driving it, I would discover an issue. One of the bearing races had a mark on it, so I had to order a bearing set before putting that side back together. Then when bleeding the brakes, one of the Air Pack's seals was bad, so I had to order more parts before I could drive it. Then when changing all the fluids everything looked great, like the truck had been serviced right before I bought it from GL. Then I drained the T-case and the oil was not new and there was a modern art sculpture on the end of my drain plug. cleaned it off and it turned out to be a bearing cage. The bearing was still intact but the spacer had come apart and I knew the bearing was living on borrowed time. That let the air out of my sails. I had been pushed out week after week repairing small things, spending money to put new lenses on the turn signals, new mirrors and other items that would have been fine, but I had some extra money so I replaced them for my new toy, before finding out I had some expensive parts that I had to replace, and I had spent my money on bells and whistles.

I finally just had to drive it. I had a rebuilt T-case shipped to me and decided to risk the bearing falling apart in the T-case that was in my truck, so I drove it 5-7 miles just to get some seat time and had a blast. The brakes that I had worked so hard to restore, were like new. The engine was smooth, my new lights and signals all worked perfectly. My mirrors were great and allowed me to see much better then the ones that had lost half of their silver backing. I had bought a couple of Gens from GL, so my brother loaded them in the back of the truck, I put my cargo cover on that I had bought earlier and I drove it a little and parked it once again. All in all a good day.

I still have to install the rebuilt T-case, but the seat time really helped motivate me. This is my first military truck, and I had a blast.

Make a list, place the items that must be fixed for you to drive it at the top, and knock them down one at a time. Fix the other things while you are waiting on parts or rebuilding your parts fund. Heck, I remember one weekend that I spent a few hours just rolling around under the truck looking at how things are set up and cleaning off and re-greasing zerts.

I type slow, looks like you already created a list. You may also want to knock out some of the quick items that are more labor then parts, to feel good about making progress.

Last edited:

aggopian

On a serious note when I hit a wall on a project I will clean up all the parts/tools I have out for it. Inventory the parts I have/need and set up project piles.
You may find the throttle parts you misplaced or some bits you bought that you forgot about and it will help you get clarity on your project direction.

zout

Cucvnut - do not spend any money coming this way cause all that chit you got lists would be D O N E by the end of one day and I hate to make you waste your money. Get the lead out and busy - honker down. If that does not work - come and see me.rofl

With that list I would have to figure out what to do after lunch.

natem

I'll tell ya what, you get to work on your project and I'll get to work on mine. Lets compare progress next Sunday. First one with seat time wins. Now lets both quit mopen around and get to work. I'm headin for the shop right now!

Nate

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks