• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lack of power/smoke

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Anyone know where you can get the little return lines at for the LDT? Some idiot decided to paint the ones on thr truck. little movement and they snapped. Also Where can i get the injector gaskets at? besides like memphis equipment.

Capt.Marion

There are several vendors that people use: Saturn Surplus in PA is the only one I've used (for brake parts).I called 'em up and gave them the NSN and part description, and they were able to send it right out.

Others might chime in with the West-Coast and Mid-west vendors that are closer to you.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I did some searching around and got rid of the compression fittings on the injectors and ust went with a T with hose barbs and did a return line kit like on my 6.9 IDI ford. Got it up and going still smokes a slight bit at idle. but the tank is still a lil murky. put some PFS in the tank and some howes double dose with 15gals.

Started driving it. ran good as usual. It just rolls black smoke like **** so I need to turn the pump down. Still have a knock at 3/4 to WOT in 4th or 5th on hills. Its like a ping almost. it doesnt doo it down low or light throttle just open. SO i assume its starving for fuel yet it is so black behind me u cant see the car behind me. Also at idle with it smoking some slight blue/black puffs spraying either into the intake smooths it out and smoke goes away so im thinking most of the smoke is burning all the crap fuel out.

**** oil pressure is only sitting about 25psi at idle tho. even while driving. Not to sure whats up with that. It was running 50psi at 2500rpms before all of this started happening. Also it was pretty gutless on the slight hill i was climbing a few mins ago with my gooseneck behind it.

Last edited:

Hamma Down

Keep us posted on your progress, I am having the same issues

Simp5782,
I am experiencing very similiar issues with my M52A2. I ran out of fuel one day. After I filled it back up, I noticed a pinging when at idle. However, the truck still had plenty of power and no smoke was present. I took it out for a spin the next week and 'poof' an immediate loss of power and trail of thick black smoke as I limped it back to the yard. I ordered the spin-on filter conversion kit, however I had to deploy here to Afghanistan before I could get them installed. So, the truck must sit until I get back next April. I definitely need to clean the tanks out and will check the lines as well. I will follow your trouble-shooting procedure and hopefully get my truck back up and running shortly after my return.

On another note, how much does your truck weigh? I see you have it sitting on the trailer behind your ford. How often do you pull it? My M52 is pushing 12-tons. I am sure that my powerstroke would have pulled it, but my gooseneck is only 10 ton capacity.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Its around 10/11 tons. My GN is rated at 20k but It has trussed axle shafts. 30k springs. 12ply tires. wood floor with a top 1/4" steel plate. The trailer weighs almost 10k unloaded. I do alot of scrap removal and Ive only towed the M-61 a few times on it. it doesnt mind it, just my rear springs are worn out almost. I have the 6.9 NA idi, 4spd with twin stick 205 and 4.88s front and rear locked. Itll pull almost anything, just has an issue snapping u joints. I have had a D7 crawler tractor and a TD14(D6) being towed behind it on my GN. I can barely top 45 or so with my ford when ive got 6 to 12 tons on it. It just holds it. Why I bought the M-61 was to pull my GN with heavy loads. I mounted a 40k GN plate on it and all the wiring and what not.

Attachments

Hamma Down

I bet you do go through a lot of u-joints pulling all that weight :) I am not sure I would have tried that with my '86 F350. I probably wouldn't have done it with my '94 either. I have gone across the scales with my '01 powerstroke at 29, 500lbs and my '06 powerstroke at 29,400lbs. Both trucks held those loads at 65-70 mph without kicking out of cruise control or dropping out of 6th gear. I also use my pickup to get my hay and tractors in and out of the field. I initially thought that the Case 450 that I recently bought would be too much. But, heck, I have hauled back-hoes that weighed as much as the Case without issue. I did feel every pound though.

I bought the M52 to do the heavy field work. Once out of the field, I can hook my trailer to the pick-up, or freightliner, and get on down the road. However, I do need to get that smoke, power, and fuel situation (back on thread :)) taken care of first!!

Hawk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Not a dead miss but it has NO guts at all on hills. 10mph was the maximum i could go on the 4-5% grade. Just started running like crap. Started puking oil to and have a fuel leak from somewhere. Think its the lines at the pump that go to the injectors but they are as tight as they can go. I am going to look at doing a motor swap more than likely. The guy who put this motor in it turned the pump up way to much and I think its cooked something.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWANY9EghSk[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyCpz0OjFwY[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Mq_6-xTFk[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h62BMwczJHE[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUpwKcU8W_c[/media]

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Took it up to where I am doing some work at just to see what it will do. I needed to move my John Deere 120 excavator (29,000lb) to my new job site, around 10miles away. It didnt do to bad. My GN trailer is around 10,000lbs so I had a pretty heavy load behind it and it didnt do to bad considering how bad its been running. Was holding 3rd gear mostly, would go to 4th and loose it all most of the time. I think it would tow another 20K behind it with the engine running right with the gooseneck system I have setup on it.

Also is there ANYWAY to get the **** metal lines at the pump to stop leaking? Or just replace them? I have them as tight as possible and they still seep thru.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJSXyW0EnQ0[/media]

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ok so after getting the truck to my home and needing to do some work on it. It still has a miss. just cant tell which cylinder. I replaced all 6 of the injectors. and the return lines are clear. spray ether into the air filter while its running and it smooths out and quits smoking. So i assume its a fuel issue ? I am going to bypass my FDC since I have a higher oil level than what I had before and I had a few leaks starting. Could the FDC be causing the miss? It does smoke pretty bad when driving. but im assuming that is from the fuel in the oil. Is there anyway to do a compression check on the LDT? thru the injector ports?

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a thought from a "part-time" mechanic......try pressurizing your fuel system. Check for seepage at the connections, to make sure you aren't sucking air into the system under load.

Attachments

dobyg75

from what you have done so far you have identified the problem to be the fuel system it seems like you still have a skip if you crack the lines do you still have no fuel at the #1 nozzle? if you have no fuel you have a pump or line problem try replacing the lines first you said they are still leaking right? i think the threads or the flares on the pipe are bad can't tell without looking.

dobyg75

Ok so after getting the truck to my home and needing to do some work on it. It still has a miss. just cant tell which cylinder. I replaced all 6 of the injectors. and the return lines are clear. spray ether into the air filter while its running and it smooths out and quits smoking. So i assume its a fuel issue ? I am going to bypass my FDC since I have a higher oil level than what I had before and I had a few leaks starting. Could the FDC be causing the miss? It does smoke pretty bad when driving. but im assuming that is from the fuel in the oil. Is there anyway to do a compression check on the LDT? thru the injector ports?
ok i just reread your post and this is what i was thinking if its "making oil" it is most likely fuel in the oil you should be able to smell it i would recommend you drain the oil and see if there is any antifreeze in the oil pan another question is does the truck have a pyro? I ask because i think you melted a piston driving through the mountains in montana with a turned up fuel pump. if that did happen you would have a cylinder miss. fuel and or oil would mix IE oil in the fuel return lines making you roll coal and giving you the dirty colored fuel also why you would be seeing blue smoke in the exhaust and fuel in the oil pan The way we test cylinders at work (CATERPILLAR Dealership) to see if they hold pressure is to take a rubber tip blow gun and give it shop air that will tell you if you have a leak somewhere make sure the cylinder is on TDC listen to the crankcase breather I have a feeling that you will hear air p*ss*ng from there if you do cut out your nozzles the nozzle that has no change i would be willing to bet is the one that melted or cracked

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks