• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Laminated windshield glass edge sealer

formula223

I'm replacing the windshield glass in my M998. I have new OEM laminated glass. I've been reading about fogging and delamination and have been looking for a sealer that will prevent moisture from migrating between the laminate panels. The original glass has a black semi-soft material coating the edge of the glass inside the rubber seal.

I've searched the internet and read countless articles pertaining to the need to keep moisture away from the edge of the laminate but as yet have found no sealer advertised for this purpose. What I have found is that silicone and many other sealers will attack the plastic between the glass panes and cause delamination and discoloration and simply installing the glass without sealing the edge will lead to fogging. I've asked several classic car glass shops and have gotten no answer.

Does anyone know what AMG used or any other product that can be safely used to seal the edge?

Action

I just used $55 AMG H1 windshields. Who will know?

Could you put some sealant on each side of the glass? Like, put the seal on, then squeeze stuff in each side.

formula223

Yep, that's what I purchased. $55 each and shipping was almost as much. I even got a bag of Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies wrapped up with the invoice. I had the same idea about putting the sealer inside the lip of the gasket and may do that. I figured someone somewhere knows the proper product to use. The glass I took out looks like a sealant was brushed on the edge all the way around.

Action

I got a pack of Oreo's with some stuff. The civy glass is just regular windshield glass, isn't it? It isn't the same as the laminated military stuff that separates.

formula223

I got a pack of Oreo's with some stuff. The civy glass is just regular windshield glass, isn't it? It isn't the same as the laminated military stuff that separates.
I'm not absolutely sure but it has the same kind of DOT etching in the lower corner as my original glass. The new and original look exactly alike.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Military and civi H1 glass are both laminated.
The military stuff has an additional plastic sheet on the back side [ inside truck ].

formula223

Military and civi H1 glass are both laminated.
The military stuff has an additional plastic sheet on the back side [ inside truck ].
Mine does not. My truck is a 1993 M9989 issued to the Seabees. Very clean truck. The windshield glass on both sides is dated 1993 so I believe it to be original. I'm replacing it only due to wiper scratches. The X-door glass does have the rubberized coating on the interior side but I've never seen it on windshield glass.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All Factory AMG military ballistic glass has plastic on inside.
Soft top trucks sometimes uses same glass as H1's...[ glass on both sides ]

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Butyl rubber is what I was told when I was looking into windshields.

Silicone will draw moisture and rot the metal frames, the rubber will not. (From what ive been told)

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much room do you have in the frame? We used "glass setting tape" in the old deuce preservation. Wrap it around the window, press it in the frame then spill some atf in it to make it swell.

I stopped in at a glass shop, took them some Tim Hortons and forced them into the back to show me how they did it. They don't sell the stuff retail but after I donut boarded them, they gave me enough to do a few projects. Here's one link but if you search 'glass setting tape' you'll find a local source.

http://www.crlaurence.ca/crlapps/sh...pID=1679&History=39324:1497:1507&ModelID=1679

NormB

How much room do you have in the frame? We used "glass setting tape" in the old deuce preservation. Wrap it around the window, press it in the frame then spill some atf in it to make it swell.
I stopped in at a glass shop, took them some Tim Hortons and forced them into the back to show me how they did it. They don't sell the stuff retail but after I donut boarded them, they gave me enough to do a few projects. Here's one link but if you search 'glass setting tape' you'll find a local source.
http://www.crlaurence.ca/crlapps/sh...pID=1679&History=39324:1497:1507&ModelID=1679
Thanks for that. I laughed out loud.

Took a moment to look up glass sealing tape on amazon and the evil auction site (50% price difference one to the other), only question is, which thickness would one need for a HMMWV? 1/32, 1/16, 3/32?

Unless you're doing this for a living, I can't see buying a roll of each (about $150+ at best/lowest). I've had this on my HMMWV list on amazon for about a year - I have glass and seals put aside "just in case."

C.R. LAURENCE CRL7708 CRL Windshield and Body Sealantor

[h=1]CRL/Somaca Hi-Viscosity Auto Glass Urethane Adhesive - 10.1 Fl. Oz. Cartridge[/h]

That seemed the way to go.

YMMV.

Last edited:

Awol

Yep, that's what I purchased. $55 each and shipping was almost as much. I even got a bag of Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies wrapped up with the invoice. I had the same idea about putting the sealer inside the lip of the gasket and may do that. I figured someone somewhere knows the proper product to use. The glass I took out looks like a sealant was brushed on the edge all the way around.
You got Famous Amos?

I love Famous Amos!

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run a large glass tempering and Insulated Glass shop and I cut and sell a a lot of Lami. Polysulfide or hot-melt Butyl will work for sealing the lami edge. Honestly though, I sell thousands of sqft of Lami a week for residential and commercial applications with nothing on the ends to seal the glass. I also make hundreds of insulated glass units monthly with Lami and nothing sealing the lami edge. It takes a long time for lami to either blister or discolor unless in very harsh environments.

formula223

I finally decided on 3M Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound #08509 in a regular sized calk gun tube. I asked the auto paint and body supply shops for polybutylene but they all told me they dont carry it anymore. After purchasing the 3M 08509 I read the lable and it says it is polybutylene. Its a thick black paste and looks like what was originally in the gasket and around the windshield frame. Its a bit messy but cleans up with mineral spirits very well.

On a side note about the glass, the shipping label says; FROM AM General 5448 Dylan Drive South Bend IN and has an NSN 9340-01-185-3757 printed on it. Its etched with DOT and dated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks