• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Late Model USAF Contract M35A2C Spotters Guide

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw a GL pic like that from Ft. Jackson, I believe. Will shoot some pics of the parking brake switch on Saturday, and post them.

Orionspath

Great Post Sir.....I too enjoy the beauty of an '88 AF M35A2C. I have made a couple updates to the list including:
"C" Whistler Turbo, 10K # Winch, Fiberglass troop seats, Added CARGO bows and new Tan VINYL Cover, Seats and Belts......more to come

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is a 83 m35a2c from the air force, it has all the features you listed, down to the dark green drab paint. why did they have the split brake system? thanks for the info on the trucks:-D

lavarok

Mine is a 83 m35a2c from the air force, it has all the features you listed, down to the dark green drab paint. why did they have the split brake system? thanks for the info on the trucks:-D
Including the split brake setup? What is the contract number on your truck?

DoctorCheney223

Here is another example of an Air Force M35A2C like the models you documented. I picked this one up at Yermo/Barstow and it's a California Air Force National Guard vehicle.

It has the following features that I am positive of:
- Serial #'s start with 10XX-XXXXX
- Bumper/Registraion # 88KXXXX
- Doors have U.S. AIR FORCE and Registration Number
- Dropside
- Wooden sideboards/troopseats
- Hardtop
- Metal battery box
- Air ride seat
- Personell heater (intake on lower side of engine compartment, drivers side
- No pioneer tool rack (sometimes added at unit level upon delivery)
- Blue warrantee data plate on dash, stamped with date of delivery
- Plastic turn/brake lights
- Painted OD Forest Green, X14
- USAF stickers on dash/doors (flightline signals, seatbelts, etc)
- Large horn button
- Curved tear drop shaped "handles" on the frame, not bent U shaped
- Pintle instructions on rear of truck

thanks,
Ron

saddamsnightmare

Split Brakes

October 14th, 2009.

Likely the Air Force didn't want damage to its B-52s and fighters should a deuce suffer brake damage or malfunction on the flight line..... I only wish the Army had been as logical.:twisted:

Cheers,
Kyle F. McGrogan

kochevnik

Can someone tell me if these USAF trucks - specifically the '87 - '89 trucks - have a pto on the transfer case (or anywhere on the truck) ???

Thanks.

wsucougarx

No PTO on the truck unless it is winched (tranny PTO) or is a contract fuel truck (Transfer case PTO). The trucks did not come standard with a PTO unless there was something there for it to power. Now you can add any PTO you want to these trucks, that's no problem.

kochevnik

Thanks for the help Mike - appreciate it.

And for another USAF specific question - for those of you who have one of these, were you able to get insurance pretty easily on this, and at a decent price ? Most of the other A2's are quite a bit older and qualify for antiques, these are newer and some people on the forum had mentioned that they might be harder (i.e. much more expensive) to insure.

Who did you go thru for insurance and what kind of rate did you end up paying ?

wsucougarx

Hey there, if you do a search for insurance you'll get all kinds of hits. Check out the threads as several guys have listed their insurance companies, rates, Pros/Cons with different insurances. You can go with a antique/collectable car insurance company like Haggerty, Gulfway, etc. However, they only cover you driving the truck to/from events, must keep in a covered garage, cannot haul anything in the rear etc. Try to utilise your regular insurance company. I use State Farm for $220/6 months commercial policy for non-commercial use:roll:. It took some persistence on my agents part to get the Underwriters to approve it at Dupont, WA. BTW my currently insured trucks are an '88 USAF M35A2C and a '68 M35A2. Same insurance rate on both regardless of age

broman78

I just got insurance for my truck 87 USAF, it took my insurance agent a little bit of time but he got it. May have to go with a commercial policy but mine was 233.52 for 6 months. On par with everybody else.

kochevnik

I've got a guy selling a Deuce that might have a split brake system in it - of course he isn't really familiar with the truck at all. Can someone tell me the fastest way to explain to him how to determine if the truck has the split brake system or not ?

I remember there was a thread that showed exactly where the airpacks would be, but this guy probably would not recognize an airpack if he saw one and I am 500 miles away so that is no help.

Any advice on determining FOR SURE if a Deuce has split brakes or not, greatly appeciated - TIA.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks