• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Late Model USAF Contract M35A2C Spotters Guide

lavarok

I would say the "brake" warning light between the speedo and tach is the dead giveaway.
Don't go by this alone. I have a 1971 M35A2C with a brake light in the dash...it is a warning light when the emergency brake is on.

Look under the truck. It is very clear when there are two air packs. If the guy doesn't know what to look for, have him send you some photos.

wsucougarx

Yes, in fact at least '85 plus are all USAF contract trucks. I'm not sure if the contract went any earlier than that but I have seen early '80's USAF contract trucks as well.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, at this point, I really don't know where the Tanker started it's life. There was a group built in 85. It very well could be Air-Force.

I'll have to send Carnac the VIN.

wsucougarx

One other thing I've noticed is the USAF used enamel based paint for their 3 color camouflage instead of CARC on some of their trucks. Does anyone know what color shade they used. The brown looks more orangish and the green looks more like a forest green than a 383. Here's a video of what I'm talking about.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HLbfHDzysQ&feature=sub[/media]

My '86 is a USAF truck with the exact same pattern but mines a bit faded. I like the tones of the USAF enamel paint

tankie88

I know it's a old thread,but i bought a a2c a few months back.Which was missing the data plate.The vin is 1040-10***.I now have a data plate from your side of the pond with the correct contract number and my vin embossed on it.It's just a pity i don't know the reg number.I can't see no stencils on the door or faintly under the paint.The only 2 USAF bases over here are Mildenhall and Lakenheath.Either it came from there or Germany.It's a pity no one can trace USAF vehicles like Carnac can with Army vehicles.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of us over here have the registration number on our AF deuces. It will start with the last two digits of the year of acceptance and then a sequential number. "87-1234" It was originally stenciled in the middle of the door. If you can't find it, you can pattern a number based on a truck that still has it with a close sequential VIN.

jjrlsr24

Hello tankie88.

I also purchased an 87' M35A2C a few months ago that was an Air Force truck with the serial # 1040-10###. I also had the same issues with no data plate and no registration numbers. I have a question, does your truck have a copper line (approximately 3/8" dia.) on the firewall on the passenger side near the air cleaner that has a fitting on it? The line comes up on the firewall and then is bent 180 degrees to turn back down. I am trying to figure out what this was attached to and I am a little concerned about the line not being plugged or anything. I have attached a picture. If anyone knows what this line was for, I would really appreciate any information. Thanks!
2013-11-06 15.41.30.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSC00768.jpgDSC00785.jpgDSC00786.jpgDSC00788.jpgDSC00806.jpgDSC00817.jpg

I'll add to this thread.

The first USAF Deuce M35A2C I bought came from Tinker AFB in 2008

VIN 1040-10100
Delivery date - 87-05
Unit # 87K1500

All it needed was a new clutch. Sold it too cheap to a guy in Nevada

01.jpgtinker 003.jpgtinker 009.jpg

Second USAF Deuce M35A2C also came from Tinker in 2012. It was in an accident and has some damage. The plan is to fix it someday.

VIN 1040-10504
Delivery date - 87-06
Unit # 87K???? - the bumper numbers and data plate where removed.

Maybe we should start a USAF registry.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks