• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Latest bob project gets new CARC

ryan77

I could have came over and helped u lower that bed on! Your going to kill yourself doing this stuff your self!!

DeucesWild11

Something different.. like it.. I assume you will paint all green like the truck or the truck camo to match the bed? Good job, can't wait to see the finished product..

Bcurtman

I have to say that I do like that bed. The flush tail lights, squared off look-not something you will run into another like it on the street. I like it. The whole point of having a bobbed deuce is the "unusual" or out of the ordinary aspect.

Danger Ranger

WHAT?!? No way, you're gonna run WHITEWALLS??? I'm diggin it! lol. Looks pretty good, the bed is different, and I can respect that. Keep it up.

ranchhopper

WHAT?!? No way, you're gonna run WHITEWALLS??? I'm diggin it! lol. Looks pretty good, the bed is different, and I can respect that. Keep it up.
That overspray really looks bad it will be taken care of after the rest of the truck is done. I may redo the rear wheel wells and make them similar to the fronts may add some fender extensions to give the fenders a balanced look with the fronts. I took the bed off today to install the original angle iron hold downs from the original bed and run the wires for the lights the hook up is right over the air tanks and not accessable when the bed is on I made new oak spacers for the frame rails too the originals dont give the air lines coming off the top of the tanks enough clearance.

ranchhopper

Today was fabrication day for the bobbed deuce I mounted the bed permanently today useing seven inch carraige bolts through the aluminum bed to the angle iron tabs bolted to the frame. Next the question how to make the fender wells look "right" on the truck bed to balance with the front so I made a filler panel to bolt into the wheel well and made a couple fenders for it. I took some light angle iron and cut it bent it and welded it back together I tried to match the angle on the front and rear of the front fender and set it at 7 inches over the rear tire the same distance as on the front. Tomorrow maybe the rear bumper and a filler panel of diamond plate for the frame rails and some diamond plate rear mudflaps.

Attachments

plym49

I love just about everything about this build. The bob, the bed, the paint, the tires, etc., etc.

Just two little nits. That ground wire running to the outside of the frame looks slim shady, as do those skinny, misaligned and too-long carriage bolts holding the bed down. (On the ground, run it somewhere else, even inside the frame, use shrink-wrap and add a strain relief behind the connector. For the bolts, perhaps run them inside a bushing and trim the ends.)

Nits they are, but you see them and it takes a little away from the build, which again is exceptional.

ranchhopper

I plan on cutting the bolts near flush and useing heater hose to enclose them after painting them I have several ground wires in various locations just a way of eliminating ground problems before they start. Thoes 1/2 inch carraige bolts are way more than is ever going to be needed three on each side I think are enough this isnt going to be beat up off roading most rallys Im going to attend are way to far away to beat up the truck and drive it all the way home. None the less criticizm or points of view are not a problem with me it helps to have input from others.

ranchhopper

Finishing up the back end one more filler panel to weld up and were off to finish the paint. Made a rear bumper from the two pieces of frame rail I cut off welded all the holes shut and heres the almost finished product. Made a set of rear fenders from the back of the passenger seat I took out of the truck the light gauge diamond plate that came off the back was perfect fender material. I rebent the struts from the original fenders and bolted them in this truck is like having a pick up truck very easy to get in and out of tight spaces being so short Im pretty happy with it.

Attachments

tuckered

Just a couple of questions. . .

Why did you bob your tuck. Looks nice, just wondering. Also, why didn't you use the original bed? Couldn't you just cut out a section of the bed and welded the tailgate and edge back on?

Thanks, just curious,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks