• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS-465-1A inframe headgasket job pictures

mightyhammer

I guess it depends on how much you can buy and have an engine delivered for. I am doing this in my spare time. I don't consider it a tough job, just time consuming. It is actually kind of fun for me when I get to do a job without having to worry about time.

jimmcld

I asked the guys here what a "in the can" motor was worth a couple of weeks ago. It seemed that the opinion of most was around $1500. If your paying half of that for a pair of head gaskets, it would seem a no-brainer to me to go for the 1D with all new accessories (turbo, starter, gen, clutch).

mightyhammer

Sure, and you can go to McDonalds for lunch easy and cheap.... I prefer to brown bag it myself. I know what is in the bag, cuz I made it:-D. Coopie out again...

mightyhammer

Just to clear this mess up some..... I have seen gasket sets ranging from $270.00 up to and over $900.00 depending on where you shop. I have also priced individual head gaskets through tractor supply sources going for $100+ each. I got my gaskets from FreightTrain through the kindness of his heart for free. Granted, they are the older type of gaskets, but the majority of these did hold tight for their intended applications.
I know the caliber of some of the individuals who the govt. has rebuild these engines and I have personally seen the mixing and interchange of internal components in these engines. It is a grab-bag of re-used parts mixed and matched from bins. No wonder they are prone to failures way before the potential of these fine machines. I am not saying that if you get a overhauled can engine it will not last forever. However, If I do the overhaul myself and it fails, it is my own fault. Call me old fashioned, whatever. If you want it done right(or at least the way "you" want it done), do it yourself. COOP

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
COOP-I certainly agree and have been told since I was old enough to understand that if you want something done right, then do it yourself! When we purchase a truck or an engine off GL we are usually buying a pig in a poke. As I previously indicated I purchased a rebuilt engine in a can recently. Rebuild date was 2005. Since it was a recent rebuild and an LDS-465 set up for a 5 ton I took the chance. On the other hand I have 2 engines to rebuild myself for future use. I just have to gear up for these larger engines. LOL

mightyhammer

I noticed that the pushrods in my engine were of two different designes...And I dont mean exhaust versus intake difference. I mean they were mix and matched amongst each other!

mightyhammer

No work on the dumper today. Back was buggin me and didn't have it in me to be climbin up and down from the engine compartment...To be continued on monday.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you click on the referances button at the top of the page, and go to technical manuals, there is an LDS trouble shooting TM that will tell you EVERYTHING you need to do to make sure the motor is with in proper specs. I have 2 lds motors and it was/is very informative.

mightyhammer

All done!

OK.....Got back to it and tightened 'er all up. These are the final pix. I skipped alot of put-together pix after the heads were done. I am thinking about doing a walkthrough as I encountered several things that might require some additional mentioning to help ease the process for others...COOP

Attachments

mightyhammer

The young lady in the cab is my 12 year old daughter Megan who is tougher than wood-pecker lips and loves huntin' fishin' and wrenchin'.... When she was two years old, we were outside doin' our thing and I looked at her leg and there was a hornet hangin' from his guts and I asked her if it hurt...She was like.."No daddy...I eat?"

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks