• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS VS LDT and the real differences

ShawnIfert

This is what I have found to be different between an LDS-465-A1 and LDT-465-1D that w

View attachment TM 9-2815-210-34P.pdfI have aLDT-465-1D and I want to convert it to a LDS-465-1A. I have looked over all thepart manuals from the 1960’s all the way to the 1990’s. The LDT-465-1D andLDS-465-1A that were built in the 1990’s are very similar and have the sameCam, Pistons and D turbo. In the manual I have attached there seems to be a fewerrors. The errors are not unusual for a parts manual that has not been inservice that long or the copy I have found was an early version. The FuelInjection Pump listed in the manual is for an LDT and nothing else is listed.The manual shows that both engines use the same Fuel Injectors NSN 2910012142684/ Part# 12354296. I have tried to find where this Fuel Injector is used, but I couldnot find anything. I think if I just use LDS-1A Injectors, Rocker Arms and InjectionPump it will work fine.
I have found that the parts needed for theconversion of an LDT-465-1D to a LDS-465-A1 are the LDS-465-1A parts listedbelow. I had reviewed the parts manuals for hours and this is all I could find differentwith just the engines. But it makes sense. The Rocker Arm allows more air toenter the engine. The Fuel Injector has a more efficient spray pattern. TheFuel Injection pump is timed differently.

1. Rocker Arm Intake NSN# 2815-178-1184Part# 11641735 Qty. 6
2. Fuel Injector NSN# 2910-074-8931 Part#10935284 Qty. 6
3. Fuel Injection Pump NSN# 2910-908-6320Part# 10951115 Qty. 1

If anyonehas anything to add feel free to do so. Any input on this subject is more thanwelcome.

Jeepsinker

You need the injector pump that is specifically for the LDS 465-1a. I don't care what your manual says, the two are not the same. The LDS pump has a different advance unit, better fuel metering, and the HH delivers more fuel per stroke.

Oh yeah... And the data tag says LDS 465-1a on it...

The pistons are different too, but with a good pyrometer and careful monitoring of egt, you really don't need to change them. They are better pistons though.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found that the parts needed for theconversion of an LDT-465-1D to a LDS-465-A1 are the LDS-465-1A parts listedbelow. I had reviewed the parts manuals for hours and this is all I could find differentwith just the engines. But it makes sense. The Rocker Arm allows more air toenter the engine. The Fuel Injector has a more efficient spray pattern. TheFuel Injection pump is timed differently.

1. Rocker Arm Intake NSN# 2815-178-1184Part# 11641735 Qty. 6
2. Fuel Injector NSN# 2910-074-8931 Part#10935284 Qty. 6
3. Fuel Injection Pump NSN# 2910-908-6320Part# 10951115 Qty. 1

If anyonehas anything to add feel free to do so. Any input on this subject is more thanwelcome.
May I ask, where did you find info to support that statement?

Unless I have missed it, we are still waiting for someone to actually take a stamped #11641736-rocker arm and compare it to the most common #10899107-rocker arm, which everyone seems to have.
It sure would be interesting to confirm if they had a different ratio, or what else is different (besides the oil squirt hole-version, on the LDS465-2)...

BTW: You probably didn't read the whole thread? All that you have found has already been brought up and discussed, here.
Specifically regarding rocker arms... read my post #92 and then on page #5, post #167 up to #172...
And a lot more can be found posted, about injectors, pumps, etc...

Let's try to not repeat the same things, in the same thread; even if it's a long one...

G.

ShawnIfert

I have read the whole thread and as you said it is very long and the info is everwhere.

The information to support my statement has come from many sources including this thread and hours looking through many of the TM’s that are out there. I am going to source the Rocker Arm 11641735 / 11641736. I have foundthat 11641735 Rocker arm is used in TM 9-2815-210-34p that was dated 1998. Once I get the Rocker arms I will check it out in my machine shop and see what the Ratio is.
I am just looking at the differences between the LDT-1D and LDS-1A and to convert my engine. I just collected all of the information that I thought I would need and put it on the same page and basically ask the groups option. I am going to do it to my engine when I return home from Africa. I work in Africa as Senior Service Mechanic for a very large drilling company.
I have one more thing to add, my LDT-1D was made in the 90’s and I had taken it apart and found that it has 57K1318 piston kits in it with the dual tipped piston coolers. It matches what was in the TM I referred to above.
When I have the Ratio of Rocker I will post it. I should have it by the end of April. My tour here does not end until mid-April.
I do thank everyone for their input!

rustystud

Like Gringeltaube and Jeepsinker said, there is more then what you mentioned to make a LDT into a LDS. You never even got into the cam differences. Read some older Depot manuals first (these will have the number 35 at the end). The parts manual will not help you here. They replaced almost all parts later on to fit ALL models. That is why there is no separate numbers for the LDS and LDT engine injection pump or pistons or anything else that was different.

ShawnIfert

You need something very flat to set up on first. I have pieceof inspection granite that I use.
Take anything off the rocker shaft that may interfere ormake a piece on the lathe that will fit the bore of the rocker arm and is longenough to set on the V blocks. Place the bottom of the rocker arm up. Once youare setup and secured in the V blocks you the put a dial indicator at the valveend at the point of contact and use a depth micrometer on the push rod point ofcontact. You may have to put a ball bearing in the socket so you can centerdepth micrometer. You will have to setup a few gauge blocks to set themicrometer on. Let’s say you go downwith the micrometer.100 and the indicator end moves .200 that would be a 2:1ratio.

merlot566jka

Dude, I just found that on eBay after reading this thread last night. Not kidding, I just typed in "multifuel injection pump". I was just curious to see what a normal one went for in case mine ever took a crap.

I am going to buy a lottery ticket today.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
In viewing the listing, I would bet they simply had no clue how to get the IP off the motor. I know the first IP I took off a motor came off in more than one piece!

merlot566jka

The pump was on my doorstep when I crawled out of bed... It's really not that bad... Just looks like it was sitting for a long time. Little evidence of leaks or tampering.

I'm too busy putting an intercooler, radiator and turbo on my truck to mess with it right now. But I wonder, how easy is it to rebuild at home?

Jeepsinker

Give it a shot and let us know??? I have just the rear section of one here that came in a box with some pieces and it doesn't look like anything I'd want to mess with. And I've rebuilt some very small gearboxes and other tedious things...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Rebuild or just put it back together? I think it would be like any other project to just put back together, take your time and do it once.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks