• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT-465-1D whistler turbo conversion

Banshee365

I'm looking at 66 Kasier Deuce and I think it has a 1D motor from the owner saying he can't hear the turbo. I was wandering how much work and money would be involved in converting the 1D to a 1C as far as the turbo whistle. Also are there any major advantages of the 1D over the 1C besides the turbo? Are the C's more multi-fuel compliant than the D's? In one of the pictures of the truck I'm looking at a filter looking thing say's Diesel only so I'm not sure. Thanks alot.

Do all 66 Kaiser's come with the same model engine? Of course it could have had an engine swap or something or maybe just upgrades when the gov't owned it.

-Kelly Gerber

bomar76

Diesel only means the fuel density compensator has been bypassed....if it's that ebay truck you are determined to buy :roll: , I see the big sticker on one of the oil filters from where the DoD bypassed it. No problem there, as gasoline really isn't the best fuel for the hypercycle engines anyway.

The only difference between 1-C and 1- D is the turbo.

To replace a turbo on a good running engine for no other reason than "want more whine" is lunacy.

Trust me, there will be PLENTY of things to replace/repair on your new-to-you deuce without dreaming stuff up.

rdixiemiller

The turbo's swap back and forth with no mods that I know of. I am going to pull the C off of my truck and replace it with an extra D turbo. I'm different, the whistle really sets my teeth on edge. My daughter is really bothered by the scream as well. My ears are already shot, I don't want to damage hers. My truck has a muffler, which keeps the roar down to a manageable level.

Banshee365

I'm in no way determined to buy the truck. I'm going to go look at it this weekend most likely with another member of the board if he's still up for it. If it's in good shape maybe we can work out a deal much lower than what he's asking. From what he has told me the truck sounds really nice but you know how that goes, he's just trying to sell it. He said there's nothing to fix except the passanger side wiper but I'm sure there's quite a bit more and if there isn't I'm sure some problems will show their heads. I'm not so much looking for more whine only I was just curious about the differances and if they can ever be swapped, trying to gain some knowledge. The engine is a 1D and there's a plate that said it was rebuilt so I suppose to put the 1D turbo on it. I would have really no intentions of replacing anything that's in perfect working order but I would like a winch if I ended up with that truck. I suppose it all depends on the shape it's in and the deal I can work. Thanks for the replies though, learning is alway's good.

-Kelly

rdixiemiller

A deuce is like any hobby vehicle, there is always something that needs doing. I have to get of my butt and replace the front axle boots, then a rear wheel cylinder. Mine went through depot overhaul in 89, so it is time for a few little things to go wrong.

Pappa-G

Armada has switched his from a D to a C. He Loves it. There is no doubt what it is when you hear it. I drove it today for an hour or two and I (me, the guy w/muffler and sound proofing) must admit that it is pretty cool. If it's what you want, go for it! [thumbzup] ~Pappa-G

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I swapped in a 1C turbo a few years back to see if there was a difference in power. I had a boost guage hooked up and the 1C put out about 1-2 lbs less boost compared to the 1D. It sounded better but thats it. Its a straight across swap, not worth the trouble unless you absolutely love the sound of a screaming turbo like I do.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wonder how the whistler would sound with continous use at about 1,200-1,400 rpm. That's how I run my crane, sometimes for an hour or more. I love the throaty sound of the "D".

Bjorn

Wyattearp

can't wait to hear my Whistler !!!!!!!!!, i can withstand my Cummins with no exhaust just straight pipe.. Gosh i love that sound.. who needs a radio with harmonious tunes from a turbo...

Armada

I really like the deep, throaty growl from a D turbo also. The truck I just picked up has the D on it but it doesn't 'growl' as deep as the one I took off my other truck. The new truck has a White engine and different turbo manufacturer than my Hercules when it had the D on it. Apparently there are different sounding D turbo's.

Warren Lovell

Do the conversion to Whistler. Now that you know the differences, the M35 is not a Speed Machine, so make it sound the way you like.

I have the whistler and love it. I have also driven the non whistler type. I chose the Whistler. People know its me when I'm comin down the road...or they think a huge semi is coming. People stay out of your way....chicks dig the whister! Why just the other day, a chick asked me, "Is that a Whistler?"

HEHE

Warren

Towerguy1

I love my whistler, The turbo sound is cool, under load its even better!!! But if you go on a long trip bring some hearing protection. Dont worry, your still going to hear it, but your ears will feel better after. Anyone framiliar with the deuce will know whats comeing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks