• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT-465-1D whistler turbo conversion

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a -C nut. I'd switch from a D turbo to a C turbo in a sec. The look on folks faces when I cruise through the shopping plaza at 1400 rpm is great. EVERYONE backs off the curb. Can't wait to get the wrecker going with the whistler.

FSBruva

As I mentioned, getting a D was necessary so that the dog could be included. He's a bit of a 'fraidy cat, so I didn't want to give him a reason to run from the truck, and I also didn't want to worry about taking a long trip and making his ears bleed. Also, the D was actually tolerable without ear plugs on the long haul when I got it. I mean, I had the radio headset or the foamies, but it wasn't that bad without.

However, all the mention of the whistler made me go back and watch the little video my buddy Charlie made when I drove Kenny's M275A2.... The sound of that whistler spooling down as you approach a stop, with that waste gate kicking in a little burst.... I think a whistler will be a necessity for the next deuce....(I have barely had it a week, and I am thinking about #2????? I must have it BAD!!!)

Matt

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt, you make me snicker! It can get the best of you. Like the muscle car collector has to have several different muscle cars, so does the deuce collector need several different styles of deuces. Lets see, so far I've had the M275, M275A2, M35A2, M35A2C, M109A3, M292A1 (yep LDS427), M756A2 and now the M108. As much as I'd like to have some more different styles, It's in my best interest to keep the number of deuces at 2 and the 2 I have I want to keep. After the fuel crunch here with the hurricane and no power, the M49A2C fueler is looking appealing.

Jones

Ahh, addiction is such a sad state fo affairs. I'm sitting here trying to figure how to make my CTD turbo sing to me. Otherwise, it's time to build an adapter plate for the "C" I've got stashed so as to mount it on the Cummins.

There is such a thing as dual turbo installations. I'm sure I have seen it somewhere.
Here's one for you. I saw a monster truck on static display. The sign said it ran on propane. I got a closer look up in the engine compartment and it had 8 small individual turbos (like the ones on VW Rabbit) on each exhaust pipe header. There was about a 1 ft length of straight pipe after each turbo to the header collector. Never heard it run but I sure wanted to.

Wyattearp

Over on the TDR website that im a member of for the Cummins turbo diesel equiped dodges, there are guys with twin turbo setups on 12V and the 24V engines, and they have been sled pulling for several years now with these trucks i think it has come to be as big as any tractor pull show on friday or saturday nights. 600-700+ HP and over a 1000lb of torgue, these things scream and demand attention when you hear them spool up.

Jones

Most of the twin turbo set-ups I've seen look like one turbo just feeds into another. How about two small turbos on a split exhaust manifold; each plumbed into a dual-feed manifold top-plate like Banks has for some of their aftermarket kits. Two small turbos would spool up faster and together would put out the same boost. Plus, with a common intake runner handling just charge air there would be no problems with trying to dial in each to compensate for too rich or too lean conditions.

bomar76

A few years ago twin turbo set ups was the hot ticket on gasoline marine engines....they were pretty common to see. There would simply be one per exhaust manifold on V engines.
The advent of ProCharger style superchargers pretty much sent gasoline tubos in marine use to the dustbin.
Never saw any setup on any engine where a turbo fed a turbo....but have seen scads of supercharged engines that were also turbocharged...my favorite diesel, the 2 stroke Detroit was always supercharged and frequently turbo'ed too. Still see those screamers all the time in farm equipment and marine use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks