• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT-465 in a daily driver?

TexAndy

No, I'm not talking about turning a deuce into a daily driver...

I'm talking about putting an LDT-465 into another vehicle.

Has anyone done this? What would be good candidates for such a thing?

What got me thinking about this was the idea that I might eventually get a 4BT and put it in a J-truck or something... but then I thought if I want something that will run WMO or WVO, why do that? I've already got a spare MF engine.

I realize it's a big heavy engine, but surely there's some kind of civilian truck and transmission combination it could work with. Maybe?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would mate it up with a 700R4 and put it in one of those mid-Eighties Chevy Citations.

dozer1

How bout Subaru Brat? Seriously now. It would have to be a heavy truck to have a front end to hold that sucker up. I had thought of that too. I just dont see it going in anything less then a 2 ton truck. Not exactly a heck of alot different then a deuce. Maybe a little better seat.

ODw/envy

How about the meanest rat-rod in the world. Forget the T-bucket with a 454 BB. I'm thinkin bobbed cHucv with a multi fuel and zoomies with rockwells and dual NDTs on the rear.

Cool

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The smallest practical vehicle would be a 11/4 ton maybe....that is about the size of a bob deuce.

A older Ford F-450 or F-650 would be a candidate......just using the engine and transmission would increase the pulling power since you would not have front wheel drive and transfer case weight.

I like the rat rod deuce concept too.

wsucougarx

Hmm, never thought about this concept. It's usually the question of how to replace a LDT not what to use an LDT in place of. Definately going to keep my eyes on this thread.

dozer1

Hmm, never thought about this concept. It's usually the question of how to replace a LDT not what to use an LDT in place of. Definately going to keep my eyes on this thread.

I thought this thread would take off a little faster. I agree, interesting idea. At first I was thinking 2 ton truck, wreckerman says at least 1 1/4 ton. Maybe I can see that or 1 1/2 ton. Beef up the front end a bit and use it on the road for pulling. 2 wheel drive, higher gear choices for lower R's on the highway and better mileage. It could work. We hear alot of "take out" engines being cheap. Especially in certain areas of the country. I would enjoy watching and participating in a thread where someone tries this.

bill2444

I'll try to give this a little serious play. I like the concept in thought. Maybe a dodge one ton (straight axle dana 60 front with plow package i think would handle the extra weight) We can put a 800# plow package on the front of a cummins one ton up north, and retain at the time a factory warranty. That was when they had straight axles. Then i'm thinking of putting the radiator in back like the mud racers ( no inter cooler to worry about) that might make up for the xtra length. Finally it would have to crew cab long bed? as to allow deuce tranny divorced to a np 203/205 doubler transfer case for lots of gears with civy ( 3.73 ) axle gears. Maybe a 4" suspension lift and tires to clear the oil pan if engine had to be lowered to fit under the stock hood. Best of all if you acquired said truck you could sell the cummins/tranny/transfer for more than enough money to pay for needed parts for the conversion.

Just throwing out a few thoughts. Would be cool to see a multi transplanted.

srodocker

I also am curious in this thread. would be cool to see it in another truck. maybe a old tow truck as they usually have pretty huge engine bays. eh dunno

XanRa

A vary interesting idea.... At the second I don't think I have any input though...

Woo first time back on steel soldiers in months... Using tapatalk on my phone

Kalashnikov

No, I'm not talking about turning a deuce into a daily driver...

I'm talking about putting an LDT-465 into another vehicle.

Has anyone done this? What would be good candidates for such a thing?

What got me thinking about this was the idea that I might eventually get a 4BT and put it in a J-truck or something... but then I thought if I want something that will run WMO or WVO, why do that? I've already got a spare MF engine.

I realize it's a big heavy engine, but surely there's some kind of civilian truck and transmission combination it could work with. Maybe?
You don't need a MF to run alternate fuels. 4bt and 6bt are excellent engines to run WVO, Bio, WMO, WTO, etc. on from what I've read and heard. Look at all the old Mercedes running alternate fuels on their diesel I6. The Ford IDIs and first powerstroke are supposedly very good for this as well. And from what I've read on here the 6.2s and 6.5s run well too. I just did a mix in my Cummins 250 and could not tell a difference with WMO/WHO.

I wouldn't want the MF in anything else. It is just too underpowered, too big, and heavy. Might be tolerable with the IP turned up and water/meth injector. I never got around to that though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks