• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT's in the cans

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only problem I could see with a motor that has sat in the can for so many years would be moisture. You would think if it was kept under pressure that might help. I still think there is going to be a couple of exhaust valves and may intake that are open and exposed to the moisture in the air. Then the thought of some valve springs that have sat for so long compressed they could be a little weaker. I don't think the performance would be effected but if they were weaker than maybe. If one had a scope and could look inside of the cylinders to see if any service rust has acured might be one way and the only outher would be pull both heads. Owell good luck

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should be hearing from him some time next week with a cost.
My anticipation is to open any can that does not indicate the preservative is intact and look for that rust and for evidence of proper storage lubrication.

If the "if we can get it for"price is good, we will coordinate funds, pick-ups and shippings as needed.

Mods...I an not a vendor (ya'll know that) just came upon this opportunity and hopefully the SS family can get a break on some heavy parts. If this in an inappropriate posting or in the wrong place for this please address as needed.

Last edited:

poppop

Three years ago I bought 3 NOS M151 engines. They had what appeared to be a water mark almost half way up the engine. I put one in my Mutt after pulling the pan and valve cover. It was perfect and I had it running five minutes after installaztion. I sold another one to an SS member and also pulled the pan on it. It was perfect and I have not heard back from him so it must have been fine.

Jesse6325

The only problem I could see with a motor that has sat in the can for so many years would be moisture. You would think if it was kept under pressure that might help. I still think there is going to be a couple of exhaust valves and may intake that are open and exposed to the moisture in the air. Then the thought of some valve springs that have sat for so long compressed they could be a little weaker. I don't think the performance would be effected but if they were weaker than maybe. If one had a scope and could look inside of the cylinders to see if any service rust has acured might be one way and the only outher would be pull both heads. Owell good luck
What he said,,,, I was thinking borescope as well.

michigandon

How come they don't throw a handfull of dessicant in these cans prior to placing them in long term storage?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don,

The cans are sealed, then supposed to be evacuated (slight vacuum) then filled to 5psi overpressure with dry nitrogen. So long as they had no moisture in the engine (think antifreeze) and they keep the overpressure, the inside should stay dry. And there is an indicator window that turns color if there is moisture inside. How well this procedure is adhered to, and how often things are checked is another matter completely. This reminds me I need to check on the three engines in cans that I have already (they are all take-outs).

04mustang

If its a rebuild, that is in like new condition and still in the can, then yes, id go 1500-2000 on it. plus my motor has a slight knock at high RPMs anyways, and thats after a valve adjustment.
Thanks,
Corey

lawdog1623

Ive seen these being sold for as much as 6500 by some of the parts retailers. BOTTOM LINE, we dont know how much damage moisture has done to these. In most cases, an engine sitting around not being used is the worst thing that can happen to them. Im not saying to steer clear, this could be an outstanding opportunity to obtain an operable motor that could be made to work perfectly with a little time and effort. I would make an agreement wherein you could at least crack the valve cover to inspect it so you get a ballpark idea what you're shelling out your green for. I may be way off base here but if ive gotta put any work into the engine itsself im not spendin a dollar over 1500. Ive almost made myself believe that pulling a troubled motor out of an operable truck and rebuilding it would be easier than putting a block in that has only sat around (unless of course the rebuilt is cheap enough). They sure do look pretty, but it doesnt do me a lot of good if it looks good while its inoperable in the yard. I opened a few of these crate motors at a yard i was recently at and i didnt see any type of moisture absorving device or otherwise in there. The first thing i saw affected was the most obvious, the flywheel was rusted badly. This leads me to believe that in order to be safe, if you purchase the motor it would be wise to crack valve covers, oil pans and any other area possible to ensure its in good operating shape. I wouldnt stop short of finding a way to fire it up before you go to the trouble of putting it in.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, here is the current skinny. I will get to inspect the engines for obvious rusting. Trying to start them will not be in the plan. What has been presented is $1500 for a Mil-Overhaul, add $450 for a can. (It seems this find has a better market for the cans than the engines. What are they good for?????)
Add roughly $75 for tax, yes he specified tax. This includes freight to my place in GA where we can unload and reload or hold till picked up or freight arrangements made.
All engines are as-is-where-is-as found. (I am not making the rules here.)
Low hour takeouts are significantly cheaper, $ unknown at this time.
Engines have IP, alternator, starter, turbo, flame heaters, water pumps, belts, unknown about flywheels. We were not given long to tarry and look.

A bill-of-sale will be with each engine, these are legit sales, not some back door mess.

Negotiations are very likely and were encouraged, IF we can reduce the price via negotiations for several then every dollar off comes back to those wanting engines. Sounds promising.

So there we have it, nothing I can use, but it may help some of ya'll. If SERIOUSLY interested, PM me and we will set-up how to do the funds, again I am not an SS vendor, so be patient with me on getting this together and how we can make this work, I have the space and means to receive them and load them, but not the means to just go get them.

General questions we can do in this thread, specifics need to come to me via PM.

Lastly, MODS, again, if this is out of place PLEASE fix it or let me know how to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks