• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT's in the cans

04mustang

Does anyone know the dimensions of the cans for these motors? thinking ahead to picking it up. And also the true weight of the motor in the can?
Thanks,
Corey

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know the dimensions of the cans for these motors? thinking ahead to picking it up. And also the true weight of the motor in the can?
Thanks,
Corey
I have a LDT 465 in the can and the dimensions are 65" x 43.5" x 58" tall
and 3100lbs. (about).

Attachments

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is something incredibly calming about looking at a brand new/rebuilt motor sitting in the cradle and letting one's eyes wander over each of the shiny, clean components.

joshs1ofakindxj

2 weeks ago I paid $450 for a complete take-out complete turn-key LDT-465-1D motor and transmission with very low miles after rebuild. No can though...

F18hornetM

Pretty sure a "1C" is the C turbo and the "1D" is the "D" turbo. But either trubo will bolt on.
My M35 has the LDT-465-1C in it, but I have a LDT-465-1D for a spare and the turbo is slightly larger.

Katahdin

I think that was the original intent but the turbos got mixed during the rebuild process. My 66' 109 has a rebuilt TD block 1D engine with a C turbo.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
im guessin "1D" is the D turbo?

Pretty sure a "1C" is the C turbo and the "1D" is the "D" turbo. But either trubo will bolt on.
My M35 has the LDT-465-1C in it, but I have a LDT-465-1D for a spare and the turbo is slightly larger.
No.

1C and 1D engine designations have nothing to do with the turbo.

There are 1C engines with C and D turbos.
There are 1D engines with C and D turbos.

The 1C and 1D designation primarily refers to head gaskets (1D gets the upgraded gaskets). C and D turbos are whistler and non whistler, respectively. There is nothing on the engine data plate that will tell you what turbo is on an engine or what turbo was on it when it was built.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/12397-what-engine.html#post118598

Katahdin

I think there needs to be some evidence presented that the D engine changes did not include the "D" turbo. The wikipedia M35 article states the quieter Turbo went on the D engines, so obviously there's some conflicting documentation out there.

In any event, these engines are presented to be overhauls, so like a box of chocolates...you never know which turbo you're gonna get...

F18hornetM

Thanks Clinto.
Guess I was thinking that because my "C" and "D"s on the block, matched the turbos too. From what your saying, its just a coincedence :D

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I forgot to mention-if the 1D and 1C designation has something to do with turbos, how do you explain non-turbo LD465-1C and LD465-1D engines (Non turbo)?

I think there needs to be some evidence presented that the D engine changes did not include the "D" turbo. The wikipedia M35 article states the quieter Turbo went on the D engines, so obviously there's some conflicting documentation out there.
No, there are conflicting opinions. Neither I or the authors of the wikipedia page offered any kind of documentation to back up their assertions.

Wikipedia is a joke. The M35 page on wikipedia is one of the worst.

Take for instance the production dates:

Produced
1950–1973 (M35,A1,A2)
1993-1999(M35A3)

I mean, come on. Who doesn't know A2's were produced through at least 1988-1989.

"Some had 4 speed transmissions"

I don't even know what to say to this. I'd love to see the TM or reference material this came out of.

The paragraph concerning M35A3 and M109A3 models is hilarious as well. The writer obviously doesn't understand the difference between M44A3 and M35A3. Wonder what the author thinks an M109A4 is. Maybe that's the JATO powered hybrid shop van.

The sheer fact there are virtually no citations (13) of reference material in the entire article is proof somebody just pulled a lot of this out of their............. ears. Don't get me wrong-plenty of it is right, but plenty isn't. When you write something like that, if you can't cite your sources, your article has no leg(s) to stand on.

If they can't even get the production years right....... well, I'd take everything else with a 55 gallon drum of salt.

In closing, although I have no documentation to back up my opinion, I'll bet $100 there is no piece of military literature out there anywhere that says there is a relationship between the engine designation (1C, 1D) and the turbo designation (C, D).

And the only reason that people continue to think there is is because they read erroneous information on the net that keeps getting repeated, like the wikipedia article.

In any event, these engines are presented to be overhauls, so like a box of chocolates...you never know which turbo you're gonna get...
This is true. There is absolutely no rhyme or reason as to what truck/engine got which turbo.

Last edited:

F18hornetM

My thinking was from erroneous assumption because my letters were the same as the turbo's!!!!! :whistle: Like you said lots of wrong information out there.
Thanks again for clearing it up. I learned something new.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the C and D turbos were called A and B or 1 and 2 turbos, nobody would have this problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks