• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

leaking axle seal repair

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
here are some pics from my rear axle re-sealing. Many thanks to clinto for his help.
I reused the inner, outer bearings and the tabbed lock washer.
I used a new inner, outer, and axle seal. I used RTV in place of cork.

I will be going through and captioning these after they are all in.

Attachments

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Polverone said:
Great pics. I have to do the same.
What was the total rebuild time?

Thanks
I depends on how much time you waste calling around/driving to get the correct socket for the nut :oops:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
hand delivered it with a case of beer.
BFR, we could have had BEER!!!! :jumpin: [thumbzup] :) :) rofl

M1.30-'06

I need to do the exact same thing to mine. I have one rear seal leaking like crazy and will probably do them all at once.

Looks like your socket was still a little on the big side though , did the spindle nut get stuck in it?

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
that was socket #1 tried to make it work. Ended up looking for and finding thr right one later on during the process

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Oh I forgot to mention that when I found a store with the correct socket (over the phone) they had just closed (they were about 40 minutes away). Payed with a credit card over the phone and they left the socket in the bed of a truck in their parking lot.

M1.30-'06

Polverone said:
BFR said:
well Gary there are three more rear seals
Ok so now we're up to 3 cases of beer and then swing down though M1.30-06's place to use his Garand to get rid of the empties. Oh yeah, that makes 4 cases. one for him too I guess.
:lol:
The garand is plenty powerful... but the other 3 might make things go a little quicker!

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did all six on mine, took about 3 days. Not a hard job, just very time consuming. Just taking 10 tires off is a chore. Napa had the correct socket, 8 sided, and I think 3 inch.
Dennis

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I have to say this. Whats up with them robin egg blue gloves? Looks like proctologists gloves. Deuce protate exam please! Looks good Joel. Wasn't difficult at all was it? Oh yeah, and that grease! That's Clinto grease if I ever saw it. Should have had him bring by the Mopar Heatriser lube. This stuff tops Kroil. GM has the same thing called heat valve lube.

rmgill

So what is the correct socket? I'm going to have to do my bearings at some point this summer and I might as well have the correct socket ahead of time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks