• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

leaking axle seal repair

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh man, that drive way will never be the same, my little oil spill must be invisible by now. :)

The socket I use is a KD2445 model (3" octagonal w/ 3/4" drive you may need a reducer), about $35 and you should also invest in a torque wrench while you'r at it.

To handle globs of grease, I like to use plastic bags over my hand(s), turning them inside out as I discard the old grease.

cranetruck said:
The socket I use is a KD2445 model (3" octagonal w/ 3/4" drive you may need a reducer), about $35 and you should also invest in a torque wrench while you're at it.
Are Ft lb numbers available here since we're on topic?

I have read where you tighten it as far as possible then back off till hub spins free or about 1/8 turn? Does that sound about right?

I got my socket at Antelope Valley Truck Parts (listed in the MV Magazine) in case someone needs a source. It was about $35 as stated.
Or here:http://www.avettruck.com/

Gadget

I made mine too, since no one had them locally and I needed to get the job done. A 4 sided box welded to an old socket isn't pretty, but it only takes 10 minutes and works just fine.

devilman96

If your in a pinch (like most of us seem to get into MOST of the time) you can use a sharp chisel on a corner of the nut and give it a few good smacks in the LOOSENING direction which will spin the nut off... Not pretty but I have air hammered off some large nuts like that over the years...

On the other hand... a 3 inch octagon socket is Napa PN SER2445... Don't confuse it with a 3" Hex socket which they also sell!!!!

houdel

Here's a couple of other sources from some previous postings: OTC #1903 for around $19.45 (most Auto Parts stores can order these); at one time David Kelone was selling them for $10. His website is www.militarymules.com, I don't see them listed in the website, I'll send him an email and see if he still has them, since I need one also.

ida34

No napa for the seals but you can use small block chevy valve cover gaskets to make the key way seal. I just use RTV.

BugEyeBear

Oh I forgot to mention that when I found a store with the correct socket (over the phone) they had just closed (they were about 40 minutes away). Payed with a credit card over the phone and they left the socket in the bed of a truck in their parking lot.
Good call!

Been there! Done THAT!

Although odds are slim that anyone who might have happened to find it before you got there would have had a use for it!

Did you check the hub temps after the repair? (IR Gun should show no more that 130degreesF after a 20 munute drive at highway speeds...)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks