• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking Fuel Return Hose

todds112

I think I need the rubber fuel return hose that goes from the fuel filters down to the frame and connects to the copper line.

It's leaking pretty good. I took the lower connection apart, cleaned and put it back together, but it still leaks. I can't tell for sure where it's leaking from. It doesn't leak when it sits and idles, but if I drive it, there is fuel all over the area of the connection. There will be fuel above the connection and leaking down dripping off the connection itself. I'm assuming it's spraying somewhat.

I have found listings for the input rubber hose, but haven't found the hose I think I need. Is this part available, or can an auto parts place make one up?

Attachments

acesneights1

For future reference you can use Pushlok and make pretty much any hose you need. Any good hydraulic hose shop carries the stuff.

todds112

Thanks, I have to say I am pretty confused by all the different types of connectors and what is compatible with what. Flares, nuts, feruls, oh my!

The closest city with stuff like that is a several hour round trip for me. It would be nice to be able to have some connectors and hose on hand for repairs like this when they come up.

acesneights1

most stuff on these trucks is easy to get fittings for even online. The beauty of pushlok is you can build a little stock of common jic fittings and make hoses in seconds as you need them.

lino

My fuel return hose looks just like this. Further inspection shows the lower section to be "sweating" thru all the cracks even while idling. The fitting appears to be OK.

The larger concern that I have is that for it to leak so much, the pressure of the return line must be substantial, and I thought it shouldn't be. It just runs another 8 feet or so and back into the tank.
Is the fuel return high flow? Should I be concerned that something is causing too much back pressure in the return?

Regardless, I plan on replacing the whole return line (and switch to 3 stage spin on) in the near future in a manner similar to Rustystud
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?123548-Spin-on-Fuel-Filters&highlight=fuel+filter

Thanks

ciao
lino

MDdeuce

Not to bring up up the past, but I have the same problem of this hose 'sweating' fuel. I can only find the hose from 2 places, Big Mikes Motor Pool, and Eastern Surplus (as part of a set). Both seem a bit pricey to me, and Eastern lists the condition as NOS - I'm not paying top dollar for 40 year old rubber. Anybody know a lower cost source for these? I looked at Memphis and Saturn but couldn't find anything.

Saw pushlok was suggested, but not familiar with them or making my own hoses (I don't have any press/crimp tools).

Thanks all.

welldigger

Not to bring up up the past, but I have the same problem of this hose 'sweating' fuel. I can only find the hose from 2 places, Big Mikes Motor Pool, and Eastern Surplus (as part of a set). Both seem a bit pricey to me, and Eastern lists the condition as NOS - I'm not paying top dollar for 40 year old rubber. Anybody know a lower cost source for these? I looked at Memphis and Saturn but couldn't find anything.

Saw pushlok was suggested, but not familiar with them or making my own hoses (I don't have any press/crimp tools).

Thanks all.
Do you have a hydraulic shop or a hose shop near you? I had one made locally. It was only $30 or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I second welldigger's advice. A local truck/hydraulic shop had no problem cutting the old fittings out for re-use (or had new fittings on hand, I don't remember). New hose for chump change.

texas30cal

I think in the previous posts they are suggesting Parker push lock hose, we used to use it for lots of things in a plant where I worked, great stuff. As long as you use their hose and fittings it just pushes, although not real easily onto barbed fittings, IIRC it holds 250 psi . I have lots of 1/4 and 3/8" air hose that's 20+ yrs old made of this with zero cracks and still very flexible, aero quip and others also have a equivalent hose/fittings. My winch truck was apparently overhauled at Toole (spelling?) , has decals on oil filter cans and "overhauled at TEAD" tags, it has a pushlock hose that was painted when the engine was at overhaul, this hose comes from a port in the side of the block just below the air compressor and goes to the IP I believe, oil line?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks