• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking left rear hub

70deuce

Finally broke down and went in to the left rear hub on my M818 to see what was leaking. Nasty mess on the outside of the drum noted before the teardown. For now just took the brake drum off and it came off surprisingly easy. Pretty wet near the inner seal and lots of gear oil in the cavity behind the drive flange. Tomorrow hub is coming off to see which one of the seals is the culprit. Brake shoes luckily were dry. More pics to follow. My Ingersoll Rand Thunder gun and that GL compressor did all the work on the lug nuts. Worked well.

Attachments

70deuce

Hub is off and it appears the culprit was the inner seal. There was a BB sized lump on the sealing lip that I'm sure was letting gear oil pass. Both seals will be replaced. No picture of the seal itself. Lucked out on the brake shoes staying dry. The slinger did its thing and kept the large quantities of gear that did leak out off the shoes. Of note, I had added about a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer to the differential and although the bearings were completely washed of grease, there was the sticky Lucas residue coating everything inside that hub. That stuff works good. More pics to follow as the hub is reassembled.

Attachments

70deuce

Two other things, it was starting to snow when the last pictures were taken so that's the moisture you see. Aslo, it looks like the cork on the keyway did its job correctly. Looks very dry in that area. Doesn't look like any type of sealer was used at all with the cork.

groundog

:)i have a 931 and someone took the wiper seal off and never re-placed it---had to install new wiper and both seals---those brake drums are heavy

Ord22

70deuce,
It looks like a spring hook is coming from out your brake pad. Second set of pictures, Middle picture. I hope it didn't put groove in your drum?

70deuce

Ord22, nothing with the springs was out of place. DieselBob may have cirlced what you were referring to and it is a snowflake if that's what you were talking about. The drum was the smoothest I've seen in awhile. The surface was like a mirror so I'll be roughing up the pads and the drum contact area before reassembly. Thanks for taking a good look at the deal though. However... you won't believe what I did find on the rear shoe. EVERY PAD RIVET is loose allowing for about 1/8" of lateral play in both rotation directions. Sort of strange. You never know what you will find when you take apart something that is 40 years old.

70deuce

5tondeuce, more times than not those drums will not come loose without lots of persuasion. The hub and drum will stay fused because of the paint/rust on each. I was lucky with this one. One rap with a small hammer and it came loose.

CTdeuce

I just found my driverside rear axel is leaking fluid... THis is a newbie question but what color was the fluid you had coming out. mine looks like oil and def feels like it. black color in color. I have to get the parts together as well where did you get your seals from if you don't mind me asking

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i just found my driverside rear axel is leaking fluid... This is a newbie question but what color was the fluid you had coming out. Mine looks like oil and def feels like it. Black color in color. I have to get the parts together as well where did you get your seals from if you don't mind me asking
check your axle vent

CTdeuce

ITs at the wheel housing where its leaking. I took it out for a quick drive and found a puddle about a tennis ball size, at the inboard wheel.