• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking oil filters at base

FSBruva

I hope everyone realized I was making a joke. Kenny and I are all for improvement, I think, just not at the expense of OUR effort!!! :)

Different strokes for everyone, and I didn't mean to offend. And your point about the reason that we all have deuces is very poignant.

Matt

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FSBruva said:
Kenny-
I believe they mentioned it's because they're lazy. Which explains why they are tearing their hair out and expending lots of effort trying to fix a system that has worked just fine ... for 50 years..... oh wait... now I'm confused.
Matt
OK and this is for everone. Yes. I AM lazy. Or perhaps you MIGHT call it working smart. I use a 20 ton air/hydraulic jack. I use a ROBO IMPACT wrench. Neither of which were available when the deuce was originally designed or released for military service. But I use them. BECAUSE THEY ARE BETTER THAN DOING IT THE 'OLD FASHIONED WAY' BY HAND.

And it's EXACTLY BECAUSE this is a 50 year old design that I'm TRYING to find a newer replacement.

Allow me one question. How many buggy whip manufacturers are left these days?

That's what the deuce can be equated to. A buggy whip. Nice AND useful, but getting harder to find now. How much are the remaining deuces going for these days? How many times have people complained about the rising costs? It's called supply and demand.

AT SOME POINT, our CURRENT designed oil filtration system will become unavailable. The company who makes all the replacement parts will fold and THEN we will ALL have to find a replacement. Or just park the truck. Is that OK by you? NOT ME.

So, lazy, SURE. Ahead of the curve trying to find a modern replacement, ABSOLUTELY.

Besides, once the mil surplus stuff dries up, we won't actually have a choice. And while it may NOT be for another twenty years, I hope to keep my Big Green Machine running for a lot longer than that. Even when I sell it to it's next owner fifteen or twenty years from now, I would like to think it would be some young man who has a fascination for Big Green Iron. And I'd like him to DRIVE it away in execellent shape with an idea of HOW to keep it running for another fifty years.

PS - you guys feel the same way about power steering on a deuce? Cause that's the NEXT project I intend to tackle after I find a solution to this one. And THANK GOD that there is someone out there who 'sees' the better mousetrap, cause otherwise we would ALL still be riding horses or using 'shanks mare' (walking). I LIKE to drive and get places in a hurry compared to walking. And I HAVE shoveled HS out of a horse barn before. NO FUN and I wouldn't want to do it again. Especially every week.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see a return for the effort and expense for the PS. Since the NAPA 1133, WIX 51133, Baldwin P20-HD and a plethora of other filters that fit the deuce, also fit other vehicles, I just can't see all these companies drying up and the filters becoming unavailable. Jim, I understand your working smart and i'm not throwing stones at you or anybody endeavoring to do this swap, my simple mind just can't picture the return for the effort. I'll have to justify the working smart thing like this. Once your swap is complete you will be able to change your filters 5 minutes faster that I can and probably without a wrench. Add that up with the amount of time in the R&D of the product and that should add up to several hours. I have no problems myself with the extra 5 minutes. I'll be more concerned about the availability of Multifuel filters when the WWII vehicle filters start getting scarce.

FSBruva

I think the dissonance comes from the fact that all of the stuff you're trying to "improve" is part of the mystique that makes the deuce so appealing, at least to me. If I wanted power steering, I could have bought a 5 ton. If I wanted a truck that would handle offroad a little better, I would have gotten an USMC 5 ton with lockers.

The point is I am not a purest by any means, but the primary endearing quality about the deuce is that maintenance on it is not even close to what it is for my 2003 car.

My $.02

Matt

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No worries! How can a fine forum such as this work without difference of opinion. We're not bickering, just voicing our different views.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike,
I understand where Kenneth and Matt are coming from. And Kenneth, you MAY be correct about the parts availability. OR NOT. Only time will tell.

Regarding the power steering. DUDE, believe me, I LOOKED at 5 tons. I don't know about where you live, but here in Colorado it would have required that I get a CDL, which I don't need with the deuce. Plus parts are just plain more expensive on the 5 ton.

Same with the auto tranny in the 5 ton. If I purchase another deuce, I am considering both PS and Automatic tranny. WHY? So the wife CAN drive it. NOT that she will. But in an emergency (think Katrina) she could drive it. I personally doubt she could actually drive a deuce as they sit now. With those two mods she could. Plus I'm hankering for a bobbed deuce. Kind of an M37 on steroid type of thing.

I REALLY wanted a 5 ton wrecker, but just could not convince MYSELF that all the extra expense and hassle were worth it. Now if I could have found a deuce wrecker, well that's another story entirely. I would probably be driving that right now. But I am extremely happy with the deuce I ended up with.

houdel

I'll keep doing it until I need a wig

m35a2cowner said:
Ouch....I am a child of the spin on era, you like to stay with what you know. Also, righty tighty no leaky...it has its appeal. Besides isn't (sadly) our whole society built on trying to fix something that has worked? If it didn't, I wouldn't have a deuce

I believe they mentioned it's because they're lazy. Which explains why they are tearing their hair out and expending lots of effort trying to fix a system that has worked just fine for ... 50 years..... oh wait... now I'm confused.
[/i]
Actually, you are both right. If you could come up with a remote filter adapter using spin on filters mounted the RIGHT way, threaded side up, then you would have something. Filters that seal properly the first time, don't drip oil all over the engine when you change them, and do not drain back so your engine does not have to wait 30 sec. or so for oil pressure to build up on engine start would be a very GOOD thing!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
and do not drain back so your engine does not have to wait 30 sec. or so for oil pressure to build up on engine start would be a very GOOD thing!
Agreed! I assume most of you fellas have seen the various "turbo timers" that pre-pressurize engines before starting keep the oil pressure up a few minutes after shutdown, right?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
65 ft lbs pops into my head for some reason...no manuals here at work. Just be sure the cans don't turn as you torque them. The gasket will be damaged and you'll have a leak.

jatonka

RE: More pictures

M35A2 co-owner has a military MWO applied modification here. The spin-on filter base peplaces the cannister type base. Hercules did this on farm tractors and the military picked up on it. If you can find one of these bases for sale, it would be a good buy. This base uses a NAPA 1458 anti drainback, bypassing spin-on filter. Just happens that I have my brand new, trouble free adaptors in stock to do this same thing and use the same filters. John Tennis

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks