• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaky 1400X20 Goodyear

Triple C

I went out to drive the 925 today and found the tire pressure on the passenger steer tire down to 20lbs. I aired the tire up to 60 lbs and could hear what sounded like bubbles. First, I don't understand why it would bubble, I don't THINK it is filled with any fluid. Second, it sounded like the bubbles were coming from the bolts that hold the rims together. I checked the bead on both sides and they were not leaking. I let the tire sit for an hour and lost 30lbs. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Is it possible to put a tube in these tires? This is a 90% plus tread, I would rather not lose the tire but I don't want a repeat of the blowout I had on the other steer tire either. Fortunately I purchased a couple of tires from Glen in Salina so I had a spare to put on but I would still like to salvage this tire, any ideas?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Bad o-ring, most likely the wheel is rusted as well causing more issues. $15-20 for the o-ring. A couple hours worth of work...

gem1410

Patracy---What o ring goes with the 14r20 tires---m923a1----I have a leak and was told that 3 different o-rings were used--is it a common ring that any truck tire dealer would have--thanks

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The usual suspect is the O-ring that goes between the two halves of the rim. Next culprit is a leaky valve stem.

You can put a tube in these tires......I have one in the spare for the M927.

I had the O-ring replaced in one of my tires at my local tire shop for $50.00 bucks and it was money well spent.

ProPower

Probably no big deal just change the O-ring . Ive changed dozens and dozens of these and now have it down to a science . Its about a 15 to 20 minute job if you dont take the tire off the truck. FIRST- Put a jack under that side and just put a little pressure on it, but dont lift the tire off the ground. SECOND- let the air out. THIRD- Put a mark on the rim where the CTIS counterweight is located, Remove CTIS cover, CTIS valve ,and 90 degree air fitting. FOURTH - MAKE SURE TIRE IS 100% DEFLATED ! then remove the outer ring of bolts. Now the outer rim half should be ready to remove. FIFTH - soak the outside of the bead with Break-Away and hit the bead a few times with a bead breaker or slide hammer and it should pop rite off. SIX- dig O-ring out with a pick, Break-Clean everything, grease new O-ring (helps with dry-rot and rust), Re-install new O-ring and reassemble in reverse order! Inflate and DONE! I Have 100s of O-rings in stock if you need some. $12. each or 6 for $50.

Triple C

Awesome, great news and thanks everybody for the quick info. Definately sounds like something I will either wait till spring to tackle or maybe take to a tire shop (I'm no spring chicken any more!) Will a typical truck tire place like a big truck stop have the O ring it takes?

Triple C

I agree wreckerman893, I would pay that in a heartbeat. I live about 6 miles from a couple of big truckstops that have tireshops, when the weather clears I will load that tire up and visit them! It would be awesome to be able to keep that tire and have it repaired for $50. If the weather was better, I MIGHT take it on but at 61 that tire is getting heavier and heavier. With the snow blowing and the forecast in the low teens, I'm not even going to think about wrestling it. Thanks for your help!

gem1410

I am having a truck tire dealer repair it---I supply the parts and drive the truck to the shop or drop off the tire--$25 labor-----If that tire falls on your leg its going to be real bad

Triple C

I am having a truck tire dealer repair it---I supply the parts and drive the truck to the shop or drop off the tire--$25 labor-----If that tire falls on your leg its going to be real bad
Yep, I have already had to stand the tire back up a couple of times and it seems to get heavier every time! Think you guys got the idea (at least for an old guy like me.)

ProPower

If you guys would leave the tire bolted on the truck and replace the O-ring like I described earlier in the post the tire wouldnt tip over! but I agree that $50 is a good deal if you dont want to mess with it!

Triple C

If you guys would leave the tire bolted on the truck and replace the O-ring like I described earlier in the post the tire wouldnt tip over! but I agree that $50 is a good deal if you dont want to mess with it!
Thanks ProPwer but there are two problems with your suggestion - I had already changed the tire when you posted, so it was already off the truck and I don't have the o rings - BUT - I will keep the information you posted cause it sure sounds like the way to do it if I end up doing one myself and I appreciate the insight!

Artisan

BINGO! Gemplers!

I am learnin' here too. I read there are 5/8" and 3/4" studs and that
is how you determine what O ring you need. Can anyone confirm this
and if so, what stud? The lugnut studs or the split rim bolts, do you measure?

GabrielDuce

It sounds like you have a good point with the cost of the o-rings however when you factor in the cost of the labor to have faulty o-rings replaced "even once" the cost of quality pays for its self! Yes I do understand there are guys that will trip over dollars to pick up dimes but these o-rings are for people who want to use their trucks without having to fix the same issues over and over.

Gemplers O-rings are rubber and break down when in contact with oils, fuel, and dry rot from sitting. lets say you or a tek that is working on your truck install it without getting anyting thing on it "no lubricants or fuel ect." (highly unlikely) ..... When penetrating oil is used again to break the lug nuts the oil penetrates to the o-ring. Thats one reason why the rubber O-rings fail.... Second reason they fail is due to heat from brake drums heating up the entire wheel assy. A third reason is dry rot. A 4th is that Oily residue floats around in your trucks CTIS system (you see and smell this when you purge your air tanks like the TM says to do.)

BIG BUG OUT TRUCKS is simply offering a better product at less hassle and cost in the long run for the folks who value their time.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks