• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaky 1400X20 Goodyear

Artisan

It sounds like you have a good point with the cost of the o-rings however when you factor in the cost of the labor to have faulty o-rings replaced "even once" the cost of quality pays for its self! Yes I do understand there are guys that will trip over dollars to pick up dimes but these o-rings are for people who want to use their trucks without having to fix the same issues over and over.

Gemplers O-rings are rubber and break down when in contact with oils, fuel, and dry rot from sitting. lets say you or a tek that is working on your truck install it without getting anyting thing on it "no lubricants or fuel ect." (highly unlikely) ..... When penetrating oil is used again to break the lug nuts the oil penetrates to the o-ring. Thats one reason why the rubber O-rings fail.... Second reason they fail is due to heat from brake drums heating up the entire wheel assy. A third reason is dry rot. A 4th is that Oily residue floats around in your trucks CTIS system (you see and smell this when you purge your air tanks like the TM says to do.)

BIG BUG OUT TRUCKS is simply offering a better product at less hassle and cost in the long run for the folks who value their time.

I am interested. Please post up pics and what kind of material are they
made out of and who is the manufactirer please?

ProPower

I've used many different styles of o-rings for over 10 years now and ''grease'' or ''break-away'' has never caused a problem! Penetrating oils ''soften rubber'' Look on the side of a W-D can a see for yourself , I guess I dont understand how you think the ''oily residue '' in the ctis ''breaks down'' and at the same time ''dry rots'' a O-ring. 98% of the one's I replace leak because of rust or dry rot or just because the OEM ones are to narrow . Occasionally you'll find the 2% that just pop out of the groove in one spot because people tend to run the outer ring of bolts down on one side of the rim first instead of gradually tightening in a criss cross pattern! The aftermarket ones I sell are .075 bigger than the stock ones and fit perfect, the larger ones fit but there so big that if you don't use lube they sometimes tear ! HERES THE DIMENSIONS - stock- .200 -medium- .275 - large- .380 I've see them .420-.450 also! TRUST ME! I also have been buying gallons of W-D and spraying all my truck and trailer tires for about 15 years now and have not had one dry rot since. Spray it on real thick and it will soak right in, and believe it or not my tires are rubber too and they dont ''break down and deteriorate'' GOOD LUCK YOUR GOING TO NEED IT!

Triple C

Thanks ProPower, I will get an O ring from you soon and when the weather breaks I might even try to do this myself. What size socket does it take to remove that ring? I don't have any that big but using a tape it looks like a 1 1/8 in?

Scarecrow1

TripleC for give my questions I am not trying to steal this thread but ,PowerPro are you saying you spray WD forty on the tires to prevent dry rot ? I haven't heard of this and it sounds interesting. My neighbor thought I was nuts because he saw me soaking the tires with a tire treatment made for car tires. I know and have read articals about the tires rotting and releasing green house gases through out their life span . Is this a proven answer to preventing dry rot ? Just asking

Carlo

I went out to drive the 925 today and found the tire pressure on the passenger steer tire down to 20lbs. I aired the tire up to 60 lbs and could hear what sounded like bubbles. First, I don't understand why it would bubble, I don't THINK it is filled with any fluid. Second, it sounded like the bubbles were coming from the bolts that hold the rims together. I checked the bead on both sides and they were not leaking. I let the tire sit for an hour and lost 30lbs. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Is it possible to put a tube in these tires? This is a 90% plus tread, I would rather not lose the tire but I don't want a repeat of the blowout I had on the other steer tire either. Fortunately I purchased a couple of tires from Glen in Salina so I had a spare to put on but I would still like to salvage this tire, any ideas?
They are a bear to install correct. Use grease or tire soap to make sure the o ring does not get kniked. When you remove the old o ring ck to see it its kinked or folded.

emr

Well after reading the first post in this thread, i am wondering if you guys ever came across a leaking tire too :) cricket,cricket... :) didn't think so, Oh a leaky tire, Wonder what would happen searching one of those, :)...All in fun bro, just getting a kick out of the bubbles, :) To learn about the O rings is good, as for all the O ring sizes mentioned above, there are only 2 for the rims that I am aware of for the 5 ton , sure there are O rings for many others, But my mill specks in the boxs I have I only see a small and large one,And at the shop up here I only have heard of 2 for that rigs rims , and i have one too(M925) and stock the 2 sizes told i would need...And I have changed a few and only found 2 sizes also ...( hey we all only know what we know :) ) As for OEM ones being to small so they leaked, is well, They were not OEM ones, The correct ring came with the correct rim when new, these trucks are antiques, the tires may have been changed a few times, like said a tweak or a little rust getting under the ring is the only problem, When filling a low tire with air, You sure may find some noises while pushing out any moisture , condensation, or such, its not a big deal at ball....Air from air lines not drained regularly is a big culprit also, no big deal ...

Last edited:

Carlo

Thanks ProPower, I will get an O ring from you soon and when the weather breaks I might even try to do this myself. What size socket does it take to remove that ring? I don't have any that big but using a tape it looks like a 1 1/8 in?
A second set of hands will really help the day you decide to do this. Tires mounted on wheels are heavy. seperating the rims is tuff also. Once you see the seal you should see it was installed wrong. Its easy to ruin it if you dont lube it up as you install the new one. I had 2 leaking on my 931 since I bought it and one morning of airing it up I said stop and fixed both. If I lived closer I would give you a hand since I had to learn by my self.

Triple C

"Well after reading the first post in this thread, i am wondering if you guys ever came across a leaking tire too :smile: cricket,cricket... :smile: didn't think so, Oh a leaky tire, Wonder what would happen searching one of those, :smile:...All in fun bro, just getting a kick out of the bubbles,"

No offense taken friend, it IS funny. I spent fifteen years driving a truck and though I had a LOT of leaky tires, if I had O rings on them, I didn't have to mess with them. I have found it a whole different world now that I have to do the work myself! Fortunately I have a group of really smart (sometimes smart-alecky :-D) friends on line that can and will help and so I will ask the question that I didn't ask when I started this thread. Will it fail catastrophiclly? When I found the tire leaking, I changed it because I was fearful of driving it KNOWING I had a leak, but what I am reading between the lines here is that while it probably won't heal its self, it doesn't sound like it would get a lot worse quickly either.

ProPower

''Timntrucks'' Sorry about that your PM got skipped over some how! Yes I have lots of O-rings in stock, please let me know what size and how many you need! -PROPOWER

KevinB

We have been using windshield polyurethane between the two halves of the wheel. Make a 3/8" bead around the entire wheel including around the studs and valve stem holes. I gave up on the useless orings and minor rust rust divots in the wheels ever sealing properly.

Triple C

We have been using windshield polyurethane between the two halves of the wheel. Make a 3/8" bead around the entire wheel including around the studs and valve stem holes. I gave up on the useless orings and minor rust rust divots in the wheels ever sealing properly.
Do you let it set (the polyurethane) or put the wheel together with the polyurethane uncured?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How do you break them down since you can't cut the "seal"?

I had problems with A3 wheels before. But a light coating of grease and a good cleaning of the rims have proven to work well.

Harleyd315

I have a few tires not holding air. Ordered orings and got some that were about 3/8" thick, the tire guy used soap, and could not get these orings to seat properly. He then found a smaller oring in his truck and that worked. I looked at the NSN and it seems .205-.215 is the correct thickness of the oring. Has anyone got any experience with the procedure to get the bigger orings to work. What is the correct thickness of the correct oring?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks