• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaky wheel O-ring.

sreng

What is the best size o-ring for an M923A2? I have heard the 1/4" are to thin, 3/8" are too big and the 5/16" are just hard to find. Looking for anyone's experience with specific vendors and sizes.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used 3/8 x 20 for a2 wheels successfully. However, the 20 dimension is the problem. They really need to be 3/8 x 19.5. The 20 inch are commonly available. If they are too long, they push out of the way instead of rolling into position between the wheel halfs. I have been cutting and superglueing to make them work. You could order custom made rings but all I could find were glued, not vulcanized. So I glue my own. I have disassembled several government-serviced wheels that had the o-ring pushed out. They held air for many years until they didn’t. I think that if I had found 5/16 x 20 rings, they would still be similarly problematic because the groove where the ring seats is less than 20 inch diameter.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used 3/8 x 20 for a2 wheels successfully. However, the 20 dimension is the problem. They really need to be 3/8 x 19.5. The 20 inch are commonly available. If they are too long, they push out of the way instead of rolling into position between the wheel halfs. I have been cutting and superglueing to make them work. You could order custom made rings but all I could find were glued, not vulcanized. So I glue my own. I have disassembled several government-serviced wheels that had the o-ring pushed out. They held air for many years until they didn’t. I think that if I had found 5/16 x 20 rings, they would still be similarly problematic because the groove where the ring seats is less than 20 inch diameter.

Gluing custom size o-rings is common in industrial settings. In fact, the “rubber rope” for our cargo covers is really bulk o-ring material. Use fresh, good quality superglue.

DREAD KT

What is the best size o-ring for an M923A2? I have heard the 1/4" are to thin, 3/8" are too big and the 5/16" are just hard to find. Looking for anyone's experience with specific vendors and sizes.
I just did some recent work on my 109A4 and never had any issues. Also, was able to get the right O-rings (think they are 5/16). Did not have issues finding them, but like any parts, I always buy more than I need. I always keep like 6 spares on hand. In fact, I always keep lots of spare everything on hand. It seems like everything is harder to find or is it just my imagination...or the de-globalization, etc. causing this.

charlesmann

I too was having issues with finding 3/8 orings, and even new orings were as said, pushing out, causing the halves not to seal. My last attempt, i used 3M weather strip caulk (3/16” tar strips) and laid in enough strips to hold the oring in place and encircled the hole for the inflation stem. For a wheel assy to go from not holding air for 5 min, to holding with a 0psi drop in over a month, im happy with it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Which size studs do you have? 3/4 or 5/8?

Valor

I have recently been doing work on tires on my 923A2 and using the Gemplers OR220TG o-rings and they work good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks