• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaky wheel O-ring.

sreng

What is the best size o-ring for an M923A2? I have heard the 1/4" are to thin, 3/8" are too big and the 5/16" are just hard to find. Looking for anyone's experience with specific vendors and sizes.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used 3/8 x 20 for a2 wheels successfully. However, the 20 dimension is the problem. They really need to be 3/8 x 19.5. The 20 inch are commonly available. If they are too long, they push out of the way instead of rolling into position between the wheel halfs. I have been cutting and superglueing to make them work. You could order custom made rings but all I could find were glued, not vulcanized. So I glue my own. I have disassembled several government-serviced wheels that had the o-ring pushed out. They held air for many years until they didn’t. I think that if I had found 5/16 x 20 rings, they would still be similarly problematic because the groove where the ring seats is less than 20 inch diameter.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used 3/8 x 20 for a2 wheels successfully. However, the 20 dimension is the problem. They really need to be 3/8 x 19.5. The 20 inch are commonly available. If they are too long, they push out of the way instead of rolling into position between the wheel halfs. I have been cutting and superglueing to make them work. You could order custom made rings but all I could find were glued, not vulcanized. So I glue my own. I have disassembled several government-serviced wheels that had the o-ring pushed out. They held air for many years until they didn’t. I think that if I had found 5/16 x 20 rings, they would still be similarly problematic because the groove where the ring seats is less than 20 inch diameter.

Gluing custom size o-rings is common in industrial settings. In fact, the “rubber rope” for our cargo covers is really bulk o-ring material. Use fresh, good quality superglue.

DREAD KT

What is the best size o-ring for an M923A2? I have heard the 1/4" are to thin, 3/8" are too big and the 5/16" are just hard to find. Looking for anyone's experience with specific vendors and sizes.
I just did some recent work on my 109A4 and never had any issues. Also, was able to get the right O-rings (think they are 5/16). Did not have issues finding them, but like any parts, I always buy more than I need. I always keep like 6 spares on hand. In fact, I always keep lots of spare everything on hand. It seems like everything is harder to find or is it just my imagination...or the de-globalization, etc. causing this.

charlesmann

I too was having issues with finding 3/8 orings, and even new orings were as said, pushing out, causing the halves not to seal. My last attempt, i used 3M weather strip caulk (3/16” tar strips) and laid in enough strips to hold the oring in place and encircled the hole for the inflation stem. For a wheel assy to go from not holding air for 5 min, to holding with a 0psi drop in over a month, im happy with it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Which size studs do you have? 3/4 or 5/8?

Valor

I have recently been doing work on tires on my 923A2 and using the Gemplers OR220TG o-rings and they work good.