• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED Gauge Panel Backlighting Upgrade

grendel

Maybe I want to support a good internet friend who did the research? Yes, I know how to source them, but I didn't think of this mod, he did and should be rewarded for it.

If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe I want to support a good internet friend who did the research? Yes, I know how to source them, but I didn't think of this mod, he did and should be rewarded for it.

If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything.
Didn't say anything bad at all
Just pointing out facts.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The screws are here.

20161024_091527.jpg

Just pointing out facts.
The facts you're pointing out are in the very 1st post, which just makes this all a bit repetitive. I think this was Grendel's point. I've given all the sources, specifications, instructions...everything you'd need to do this yourself...in the 1st post.

I bring the kits to the table to get the price down. Basically, I'm trying to make it so that if you don't buy a kit from me then you paid to much. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The screws are here.

View attachment 650758

The facts you're pointing out are in the very 1st post, which just makes this all a bit repetitive. I think this was Grendel's point. I've given all the sources, specifications, instructions...everything you'd need to do this yourself...in the 1st post.

I bring the kits to the table to get the price down. Basically, I'm trying to make it so that if you don't buy a kit from me then you paid to much. Sounds like a good deal to me.

The Fact I was pointing out is that the screws/spacers can be sourced locally and wouldn't have to wait for you.

To each his own.

Already have mine installed. No waiting for you.

This isn't personal but some want to make it that way.

wcuhillbilly

The Fact I was pointing out is that the screws/spacers can be sourced locally and wouldn't have to wait for you.

To each his own.

by continuing to rebutle concerning screws and spacers, the antagonism is landing at your feet. If we all want to go through Swamp Donkey, then let us do so without the extra rhetoric, If we want to contact you concerning your knowledge of screws and spacers; we all know how to post and PM.
This is still America(though Im not sure for how much longer) and we still have the right to choose.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
by continuing to rebutle concerning screws and spacers, the antagonism is landing at your feet. If we all want to go through Swamp Donkey, then let us do so without the extra rhetoric, If we want to contact you concerning your knowledge of screws and spacers; we all know how to post and PM.
This is still America(though Im not sure for how much longer) and we still have the right to choose.
Wow

Whatever

You proved my point.
Wasnt telling anyone what to do.
Just another option.

You want to wait and go through SD. That's fine
I could care less

I went with option two.
Had all installed in 20 minutes after hardware store trip.

The OP had a great idea and I thank him for it.

It does make a huge difference.

grendel

To each his own.

How about you thank him for his time and step out of this thread?

Seriously, you're adding no value but post count to your profile. He posted the part numbers in the beginning for those sourcing their own. Holy Carp.

grendel

Wow

Whatever

You proved my point.
Wasnt telling anyone what to do.
Just another option.

You want to wait and go through SD. That's fine
I could care less

I went with option two.
Had all installed in 20 minutes after hardware store trip.

The OP had a great idea and I thank him for it.

It does make a huge difference.
Bye!

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe some good news will cheer everybody up...

30 of the bulbs came in today.

20161028_185944.jpg

My bulb order got split because demand was apparently greater than supply. The other 170 bulbs should be here middle of next week. I've been assured that this will not be an issue for future orders.

I also ordered the lenses today. They should be in my hands in 7-10 business days. SO.....in 7-10 business days I should be taking orders. I'm trying to shorten the time line a little bit.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got everything here except the lenses. I've got a tracking number now for the lenses and it says they'll be here Friday. If this holds true, then I should have a classified ad up Saturday evening.

20161102_192822.jpg

I need to work on pricing and have a question.

What are the minimum and maximum quantities I should offer in kits? In other words, are there gauge panels with less than 2 lights or more than 5 lights? If not, then kits will be available in quantities of 2, 3, 4 and 5.

tommys2patrick

Have you tried any of your bulbs, without the spacer in the turn signal socket. I believe it is the same socket but only requires the light energy to exit the front of the bulb. I think the one in the TM is a slightly higher wattage than the dash lights. Just curious if you checked it out. Was wondering about the cooling issue in a turn signal application and whether or not the bulb would physically fit the spot.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tried any of your bulbs, without the spacer in the turn signal socket. I believe it is the same socket but only requires the light energy to exit the front of the bulb. I think the one in the TM is a slightly higher wattage than the dash lights. Just curious if you checked it out. Was wondering about the cooling issue in a turn signal application and whether or not the bulb would physically fit the spot.
The bulbs in the kits are also fine for the forward facing warning and indicator lights. All the bulbs in my cab are this type, just in different colors. They do very well wherever you put them and heat won't ever be an issue, whether constantly on or intermittent.

I will say this about the turnsignal lens on the switch though. There is not much help for it in the daytime. The lens is slightly opaque and even with the high powered LEDs, I didn't have much luck making it much more visible during the day. The older style switches with the domed lens worked very well with this bulb in them.

Here is my solution for the turnsignal light on the type of switch in the video. The bulb in the switch was removed after the video was taken. This is using the Engine Hot socket which should be disconnected, if the socket is still there. A simple jumper wire from the flasher module to the bulb socket is all that is needed.

https://youtu.be/8e-GE5BxKFE

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm one of those guys that likes Red. Do you know when you will be offering them? I would be looking for enough red to do 939 and M35A2. Also enough green for two HMMWVs.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm one of those guys that likes Red. Do you know when you will be offering them? I would be looking for enough red to do 939 and M35A2. Also enough green for two HMMWVs.
How many total red do you need? I might have enough in my personal stash to do a red order, but I don't know enough about other vehicles quantities other than the M939s. I have plenty of green.

Andrmorr

Thanks for doing the legwork on this...
it's useful upgrades like this that makes our trucks safer and more user friendly...I remember when I recovered my truck and drove it from Atlanta to NC... reading the dim red gauges in the dark was impossible while driving...had to have soldier B or a flashlight to keep an eye on oil/air etc...not having soldier B was not the safest on the highway...
I'll be ordering a complete set so a big Thanks from me for doing the engineering...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks