• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED Gauge Panel Backlighting Upgrade

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I gotta be that guy...any update on these for the new year? I thought that this was cool, but unnecessary until I first powered up my dash last night. Very disappointed in the original incandescent lights it has.
I've got to make some stars align again. It's very busy at work right now and time has been tight at the house. Doing the kits again is a definate thing, but I don't have a definate date yet until things slow down a bit. Bear with me, they'll be back.

Everyone's prior purchases and patience is much appreciated.

Wire Fox

I believe you! I'll grow some patience, buy some standard bulbs to hold me over, and subscribe to this thread so I've got the good updates when you're ready. ;-)

wcuhillbilly

my flashlight is working ok for now, Still want a kit if there was another option besides Paypal,, I gave up on those bastards along time ago when my account/bank account info was leaked, and a lot of smut went out with my name on it.... they and ebay wouldn't make it right so I walked away...
Glad to send a backed up bank check or otherwise, Glad to wait,,, just aint resurrecting the ebay/pay(not so)pal thing again.

Seriously, Great mod, and glad to see so much interest in it.. Good Job Donkey.[thumbzup]

WYomer

Ok so my question is this: Why do you need the longer lens? in the second post it say for more light to exit.

My reasoning here is if you used the 1/4" spacers or even 3/8 spacers the LED bulb would sit further back. The shorter lens would allow more heat to escape and you could use the SMD chip sets to cool better and possibly survive giving better light.

Good old Amazon has a 20 pack green of these with the diodes side facing for $10.

I want to try this but I'd love to hear your opinion/see if I'm missing something obvious before ordering them. Thank you!

jbayer

Because the plastic lens is threaded on the end and screws into the light socket. (That's how it's held on) If you use spacers and move the socket away from the dash, then you need a longer lens to reach the socket.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
my flashlight is working ok for now, Still want a kit if there was another option besides Paypal,, I gave up on those bastards along time ago when my account/bank account info was leaked, and a lot of smut went out with my name on it.... they and ebay wouldn't make it right so I walked away...
Glad to send a backed up bank check or otherwise, Glad to wait,,, just aint resurrecting the ebay/pay(not so)pal thing again.

Seriously, Great mod, and glad to see so much interest in it.. Good Job Donkey.[thumbzup]
I would love to accept other forms of payment but it all comes down to time for me and nothing else. Basically, Paypal is instant. Money sent...money received...item packaged and placed on the front porch. It all happens in about 10 minutes by printing labels online. Once it's on the porch, the transaction has been completed. It's just me, in my garage, trying to bring something to the table that's of value and have a little fun on the other side of the hobby. No business, no employees...just me. Waiting on checks to arrive, keeping track of who paid how/when days out, going to the bank (which is 45 minutes away) and cashing them all take up time I don't have. Everything is done without leaving the garage and the only way for me to do it efficiently is through Paypal, unfortunately. I'm not a fan of Paypal either but it has become a necessary evil to make things work out.

Don't let this come off as being bitchy or complaining. Even though I never planned on doing this, I've thoroughly enjoyed it. I invested a lot in this first batch to buy large quantities and get the price down. Ya'll came through for me and I will do the same on the second batch. The money investment was made without a second thought. The time investment is the restriction. In the end though, I just wanted everybody to be able to see their gauges like me.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok so my question is this: Why do you need the longer lens? in the second post it say for more light to exit.

My reasoning here is if you used the 1/4" spacers or even 3/8 spacers the LED bulb would sit further back. The shorter lens would allow more heat to escape and you could use the SMD chip sets to cool better and possibly survive giving better light.

Good old Amazon has a 20 pack green of these with the diodes side facing for $10.

I want to try this but I'd love to hear your opinion/see if I'm missing something obvious before ordering them. Thank you!
Jbayer is correct about the lens length. If you change the depth of the socket in the dash then it must be compensated for elsewhere. Since the lens screws into the socket, you must compensate at the lens. When I worked all this out, I measured the difference between the standard and long lenses and bought the proper length spacers to make up the difference.

The sockets were designed to be waterproof given that the cab is not. If the lens is not properly fitted like designed, it can leak and hold water. You have the seal from the dash to the lens and there is also a seal inside the socket. The threaded end of the lens must tighten against the socket seal. If you space the socket back farther and install a short lens, the end of the lens never touches the seal.

The SMDs just create too much heat. It doesn't take much heat to kill a diode. Yes, they are very bright but they won't last long. The bulb takes up about 75% of the air space inside the lens. The lens and socket is designed to be waterproof, so there is no air flow to help with cooling. I was very happy with the amount of light put out by the ones I tried...for the first 5 minutes or so. Then they started peetering out.

I can't offer better lighting with the stipulation that the bulbs need to be changed more frequently than incandescents. I have to offer better lighting AND longevity. While my bulbs are also made by the company called China, there is a business with an actual name that stands behind them. They won't overheat, they emit more light than an incandescent and they're better designed.

Try the SMD bulbs if you like. I just can't offer them after my experience with them. For what it's worth, all the bulbs in my civilian truck are SMD and COB. They just don't do well in small enclosures like we're working with here.

wcuhillbilly

I would love to accept other forms of payment but it all comes down to time for me and nothing else. Basically, Paypal is instant. Money sent...money received...item packaged and placed on the front porch. It all happens in about 10 minutes by printing labels online. Once it's on the porch, the transaction has been completed. It's just me, in my garage, trying to bring something to the table that's of value and have a little fun on the other side of the hobby. No business, no employees...just me. Waiting on checks to arrive, keeping track of who paid how/when days out, going to the bank (which is 45 minutes away) and cashing them all take up time I don't have. Everything is done without leaving the garage and the only way for me to do it efficiently is through Paypal, unfortunately. I'm not a fan of Paypal either but it has become a necessary evil to make things work out.

Don't let this come off as being bitchy or complaining. Even though I never planned on doing this, I've thoroughly enjoyed it. I invested a lot in this first batch to buy large quantities and get the price down. Ya'll came through for me and I will do the same on the second batch. The money investment was made without a second thought. The time investment is the restriction. In the end though, I just wanted everybody to be able to see their gauges like me.
No offense taken SD, I completely understand, I run a small business outside of my day job and seem to be the primary construction contractor for my wifes Bed and Breakfast remodel, along with selling off some of my unused/not needed 5.9 Cummins parts. Not using paypal has hampered me some by having to trust the individual to send funds while Im sending parts. namely a VP44 injection pump to TX for $475.....
So,,, Keep up the good work, and if you decide to accept an alternate means of monetary compensation outside of paypunch, I will gladly sign up for a kit to fit my 816.

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a suggestion, check to see if your bank offers "Popmoney". I know Regions does, and it lets you send a payment to anyone's cell phone which they can usually collect in a day, directly into their bank account. I use it alot.

Bucho

No offense taken SD, I completely understand, I run a small business outside of my day job and seem to be the primary construction contractor for my wifes Bed and Breakfast remodel, along with selling off some of my unused/not needed 5.9 Cummins parts. Not using paypal has hampered me some by having to trust the individual to send funds while Im sending parts. namely a VP44 injection pump to TX for $475.....
So,,, Keep up the good work, and if you decide to accept an alternate means of monetary compensation outside of paypunch, I will gladly sign up for a kit to fit my 816.

Not really looking to butt in here, just spending a little down time reading the forum while the boys nerf war. If I can be of help, let me know. You could send me the money, and I can PayPal for you. Obviously you don't know me and only have my word to go off of that I would follow through. But if it helps you out let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also have a side business.
The personal check payment thing is a pain. I do not accept them.

PayPal is a necessary evil.
For the folks who will not or don't know how to use it, I have them get a money order from the US Post Office.
Quick and easy. I use them all the time.
Up to $1000 per money order.
Yes a small fee for it but guaranteed payment.

Fyi

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the folks who will not or don't know how to use it, I have them get a money order from the US Post Office.
I actually have been considering accepting USPS money orders. It wouldn't be the prefered method, but I could probably swing that on my end for the folks that don't have Paypal.

My line of thought was that if a person made the trip to the PO for a money order, they'd just go to the hardware store and get the parts themselves. Might be flawed thinking but, as it is now with only Paypal, nobody has to go anywhere. That was some of the appeal to this deal for both sides that I saw. I could be wrong though, because it was just an assumption I made without using any feedback.

Thoughts on USPS money orders? This would be the only other form of payment I might consider.

wcuhillbilly

Trip to PO is 3 miles, Trip to hardware store is 75 round trip,,,, plus multiple trips back to hardware store for the "oops, wrong part" factor, or the "we don't have that but we can get it in next Tuesday" factor. I request PO money orders or actual bank cashiers checks from a verifiable bank (not money tree, or quick cash) for items that folks buy from me, course its not very often.
I would be onboard in an instant for the PO deal...

WYomer

Jbayer is correct about the lens length. If you change the depth of the socket in the dash then it must be compensated for elsewhere. Since the lens screws into the socket, you must compensate at the lens. When I worked all this out, I measured the difference between the standard and long lenses and bought the proper length spacers to make up the difference.

The sockets were designed to be waterproof given that the cab is not. If the lens is not properly fitted like designed, it can leak and hold water. You have the seal from the dash to the lens and there is also a seal inside the socket. The threaded end of the lens must tighten against the socket seal. If you space the socket back farther and install a short lens, the end of the lens never touches the seal.

The SMDs just create too much heat. It doesn't take much heat to kill a diode. Yes, they are very bright but they won't last long. The bulb takes up about 75% of the air space inside the lens. The lens and socket is designed to be waterproof, so there is no air flow to help with cooling. I was very happy with the amount of light put out by the ones I tried...for the first 5 minutes or so. Then they started peetering out.

I can't offer better lighting with the stipulation that the bulbs need to be changed more frequently than incandescents. I have to offer better lighting AND longevity. While my bulbs are also made by the company called China, there is a business with an actual name that stands behind them. They won't overheat, they emit more light than an incandescent and they're better designed.

Try the SMD bulbs if you like. I just can't offer them after my experience with them. For what it's worth, all the bulbs in my civilian truck are SMD and COB. They just don't do well in small enclosures like we're working with here.
Sorry it took me awhile but thanks for the reply. I was hoping to get some more light than you got and might even replace a bit more to do it but a quick upgrade would be nice until I have time. Seems like issues come in groups. Just replaced a headlamp with a 24V civy 55/65 Hummer one and H4 connector so I could make a night run w/o getting a ticket I can afford. I'll change both out later with the conversion ones from your thread, or LEDs next month! And my flashlight is getting old fast for dash lights. And I've gotten stuck on ice twice now and had to manually air up/down...PITA! So manual CTIS controller today...good grief!

I appreciate your hard work and research too. Do you have a bunch on hand now in green?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate your hard work and research too. Do you have a bunch on hand now in green?
I have plenty of Green and Red. The only thing I lack at the moment is the lenses. I talked to my supplier Friday and plan to place an order for more lenses this Tuesday.

The price of the lenses went up a little. I'm buying double the quantity that I did the first time to get a better quantity discount. I'm trying to compensate for the increase in other ways so I can keep the prices the same.

TB58

Awesome work setting all of this up, I know how time can become the most precious commodity. I will be hitting you up for a kit in a month or two

WYomer

I have plenty of Green and Red. The only thing I lack at the moment is the lenses. I talked to my supplier Friday and plan to place an order for more lenses this Tuesday.

The price of the lenses went up a little. I'm buying double the quantity that I did the first time to get a better quantity discount. I'm trying to compensate for the increase in other ways so I can keep the prices the same.
Post up when you do. I got some wiring figured out and have full power now. But my curiosity got the better of me so I ordered the bulbs you don't recommend in green for 9.99 delivered.....what the hay right? I'm going to use spacers like you did and make face plates instead of the lenses to see how that works. I have a bunch of my old dog tags I was thinking I might use for the covers.

The lenses dont really do anything for dash lights since they are painted over....just reflect light backwards to gauges.

If it works I'll post up...if not expect my order! Being out like $20 for a go at it is worth it I guess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks