• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED Gauge Panel Backlighting Upgrade

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Order for the lenses was placed today. They should be here in 5-10 business days. Once they're here, I'll relist them in the Parts For Sale forum and update here.

Thanks for your patience! Won't be long now...

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in stock...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?164849-LED-Gauge-Panel-Backlight-Upgrade

There is a $1 price increase across the board. Final cost for this batch ended up being more than I was quoted. I'm splitting the increase with you here.

The first orders between now and Friday will ship this Friday. After that, it'll be next day service unless it's a weekend.

I'll try the money order route for those that don't have Paypal. Just be sure to send the information requested and it should work out fine. USPS money orders ONLY!

Thanks for your patience and purchases!

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something was brought to my attention and I wanted to clarify the point here. It wasn't discussed here before and I'll modify the listing to include the new information.

This only pertains to HMMWVs:

These lenses that are included in the kits are a HMMWV part. They will be the same length as the old lenses, so the spacers won't be required.

The reason the spacers are included is because people order based on quantity, not vehicle type. Some other vehicles require the spacers, and since they are a nominal cost, they are included with all kits to keep it simple on my end. This way I don't have to keep track of vehicles.

The lenses are included because most people are swapping from incandescent bulbs. The incandescent bulbs caused swelling of the lenses, which is the reason the military originally made the LED kits. Also, the original lenses should have been green or red for the incandescent bulbs. LED bulbs don't need a color filter since they create their own color. Using an LED bulb with a colored lens will only decrease light output.

Hope this helps. Nothing changes when placing an order. Just wanted to clarify.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will these upgrade kits fit any of the older vehicles?

For example, some M37s (B1s) have the type of lighting fixture you have shown and discussed in this thread. The older, non B1 type trucks do not, but they have a metal domed fixture which, I believe provides the same spacing. Is there something else which prevents the use of these LED replacements?

Would a change in spacer length correct any installation problem, or is it a bulb and socket issue?

There are some M-37 / M-42 / M-43 owners here in Washington state that would be interested in this upgrade if it will work on older vehicles. Some Jeep and other older trucks owners that would probably also be interested.

Thanks!

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will these upgrade kits fit any of the older vehicles?

For example, some M37s (B1s) have the type of lighting fixture you have shown and discussed in this thread. The older, non B1 type trucks do not, but they have a metal domed fixture which, I believe provides the same spacing. Is there something else which prevents the use of these LED replacements?

Would a change in spacer length correct any installation problem, or is it a bulb and socket issue?

There are some M-37 / M-42 / M-43 owners here in Washington state that would be interested in this upgrade if it will work on older vehicles. Some Jeep and other older trucks owners that would probably also be interested.

Thanks!
To be honest, my expertise in MVs drops off sharply after M939s, HEMTTs and MRAPs. I have alot of parts knowledge for the last two of those but not much hands on experience. Anything earlier than the M939s is pretty foreign to me except for maybe some parts compatibility. Just not that much hands on experience.

If the vehicle uses the same style socket / lenses as in the pictures and the panel is single wall with just a hole punched out for the light, then they will work. As far as the metal dome style, I honestly don't know.

Which style do you have on your vehicle and how many lights does it have?

The spacer length is directly related to the extra length of the longer lens. If the normal length lens works then the longer lens should also work using the spacers. I don't see where the spacer length would need to be changed, but I have no experience with those panels.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I found the answer to my original question (thanks to your excellent photos). The old vehicles (M37s in my case) have a push and twist bulb while your units have a screw type bulb.

So, unfortunately these conversion kits will not work. I wish this was not the case, but, oh well.

Thanks for your patience!

74M35A2

Hi SD. Thanks for doing this and publicizing the info. As one that does most things themselves, every once in a while I'll let somebody else make a few bucks vs my time to re-design everything. Time is $ and in a case like this, there is no way that it would be worth me doing this myself vs buying your config. I can't even get my back window fixed in a reasonable amount of time.

I have a tangent question. I am in need to add some additional dash warning lamps, as the Cummins ISL I am installing (built up on my lunch breaks) wants 3 optional dash lights (not gauge backlighting): Red warning, amber warning, and a "Wait to Start" (grid heater). I am looking at doing this with different colored lenses, but also considering what color LED bulbs could look decent. Already have the red and amber lens caps, but kind of torn on what to do for the Wait to Start light. I did buy a clear lens cap, but with the plan to put a colored LED bulb behind it. Don't want it to be red or amber. Green was available too, but kind of sends the wrong message, as green should not mean wait. May also buy 2 more clear lens caps and do all 3 as colored bulbs and clear lens. Open to ideas.

With all that, is there any chance you have looked at what other color LED bulbs are available (beyond red/green)? Can go brighter than your chosen selection for backlighting.

Thanks again for your contributions.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi SD. Thanks for doing this and publicizing the info. As one that does most things themselves, every once in a while I'll let somebody else make a few bucks vs my time to re-design everything. Time is $ and in a case like this, there is no way that it would be worth me doing this myself vs buying your config. I can't even get my back window fixed in a reasonable amount of time.

I have a tangent question. I am in need to add some additional dash warning lamps, as the Cummins ISL I am installing (built up on my lunch breaks) wants 3 optional dash lights (not gauge backlighting): Red warning, amber warning, and a "Wait to Start" (grid heater). I am looking at doing this with different colored lenses, but also considering what color LED bulbs could look decent. Already have the red and amber lens caps, but kind of torn on what to do for the Wait to Start light. I did buy a clear lens cap, but with the plan to put a colored LED bulb behind it. Don't want it to be red or amber. Green was available too, but kind of sends the wrong message, as green should not mean wait. May also buy 2 more clear lens caps and do all 3 as colored bulbs and clear lens. Open to ideas.

With all that, is there any chance you have looked at what other color LED bulbs are available (beyond red/green)? Can go brighter than your chosen selection for backlighting.

Thanks again for your contributions.
I have a small quantity of blue in the same style bulb. You could do blue for the wait to start instead of green maybe. All i have is green, blue and red. Blue is just a personal stash. I also have a small personal stash of clear front/clear lenses for warning lights. A true kit with spacers and long lenses wouldn't be needed for the warning lights but I could put together a one-off kit for some warning lights for your custom project. Honestly, for warning lights I wouldn't want anything any brighter. The bulbs I use are clearly visible in daylight. You'd be blinded at night with full view warning lenses. I have them in all my warning lights and can attest to it. I have a restictive cover on my high beam light and at the right angle all you see is blue. That restricted lens will also turn the whole back wall of the cab blue at night. Just some thoughts from experience...

74M35A2

Do you have any bulbs that will make a back window appear in my truck? Sounds like blue is close to doing so...

Let's talk more about an LED warning lamp 3 pack. Call or text me. PM if you lost #. Thanks. -CM

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks