• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Legal Issues that could effect all MV Owners

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if the 86 and 87 CUCVs have the FMVSS decal? I have never looked. I seem to remember that the M35A3s don't

I have a $36.90 balance on my Paypal account. Sending it your way. I'll send some more tomorrow.

ABN173

We are counting down, the general assembly for the state of GA opens up on January 14, this is going to be a short session this year probably ending in early to mid-March given that this is an election year and the members need to be out on the campaign trail for the November elections.

I want to thank everyone that has reached out with offers of assistance. Now is the time we need your assistance. Given the short legislative period this year the Georgia Military Vehicle Owners need to be properly represented if we are going to get changes to the law to allow registration of newer vehicles.

I have called in some favors to get us this far, but as we all know favors only go so far.

I had posted earlier that the cost of our lobbyist is approximately $2,200-3000. I finished setting up a new PayPal account for this cause. You can donate via PayPal using credit cards etc. Choose the sending friends option when sending a donation ensures that the full amount makes it to the front lines.

galegislation@gmail.com

This is a separate account to track the activity that comes into the account. If those that donated are worried on where their donations are going, I will be happy to produce a log of the activity personally with that individual.

I would like to thank Commander Z who has been helpful in communication, research and any efforts that he can do to assist in this battle to date. I love how he thinks out of the box and his offer to donate his time for projects that he can accomplish for the cause represents the spirit of a great SS member. I took him up on a project and have committed the first $250.00 to our fund. At this time he does not need to be working on my projects but helping others help all of us.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?118070-Project-time-again-zout

I talked to the legislative side today and the draft of the changes in the law that I drafted earlier are going to be reviewed hopefully tomorrow before going to the legislative counsel for legal review.

Why Should I donate?
1.) If you live in Georgia and ever want to own a military vehicle newer than 1986 you should donate or it is not happening
2.) If you live in another state and want to sell your newer vehicle to a Georgia resident you should donate or it is not happening
3.) If you live anywhere in the United States and would like to own/or own a military vehicle newer than 1986, improving the laws in Georgia helps the overall political landscape for owning military vehicles nationwide

Remember donations of any size are helpful.

p.s. I hate raising money so thanks for reading this post and any assistance you can provide :)
I'm in. I consider this an MV cause, not just Georgia.
I think many military veterans not just us collectors would see the merit in your efforts. I think you should try a crowd funding site such as www.gofundme.com
this way you can blog about your efforts, and promote our hobby and about the need to preserve our historic vehicles in general nation wide! Most of the blog work you already have here and can just cut and paste!

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fine Members of Steel Soldiers, this is a larger issue than the state of Georgia. We happen to be the second battle ground where Wisconsin was recently another battleground in which the battle was won.

I wanted to clarify the situation.

1.) This is not about the BMY Harsco vehicles, it is about legally registering a Military Vehicle that is newer than 1986 in the state of Georgia. For us in Georgia that happens to be a BMY Harsco but could be any Military vehicle whether sold by Government Liquidators or a private individual trying to sell to a Georgia Resident. Beyond these issues in Georgia there are other issues that can affect any other state in the future.

I have an example from Georgia where an owner was turned down for registration of a vehicle that is legal per Georgia law as a result of laws that are not clear and interpreted wrongly.

If successful, our efforts will correct the current law and provide a solid foundation to support efforts in help any change needed in other states and overall help in allowing our hobby to grow.

Please review again the reasons to donate to this effort: I believe all of us are effected no matter what state you reside.

Why Should I donate?
1.) If you live in Georgia and ever want to own a military vehicle newer than 1986 you should donate or it is not happening
2.) If you live in another state and want to sell your newer vehicle to a Georgia resident you should donate or it is not happening
3.) If you live anywhere in the United States and would like to own/or own a military vehicle newer than 1989, improving the laws in Georgia helps the overall political landscape for owning military vehicles nationwide

I am happy to report that we have raised $911.90. Thank you all who have donated to the effort, we salute you. We are now $2088.11 short of our 1st goal. I do like Dale's idea of a funding site to help raise awareness nationwide and potentially raise money for future efforts for our hobby. I will be looking at that in more detail next.

We still need your help, any donation large or small helps the effort.

Thank you all! We have a unique community and group of individuals that I am proud to be associated and working for.

Last edited:

ABN173

Fine Members of Steel Soldiers, this is a larger issue than the state of Georgia. We happen to be the second battle ground where Wisconsin was recently another battleground in which the battle was won.

I wanted to clarify the situation.

1.) This is not about the BMY Harsco vehicles, it is about legally registering a Military Vehicle that is newer than 1986 in the state of Georgia. For us in Georgia that happens to be a BMY Harsco but could be any Military vehicle whether sold by Government Liquidators or a private individual trying to sell to a Georgia Resident. Beyond these issues in Georgia there are other issues that can affect any other state in the future.

I have an example from Georgia where an owner was turned down for registration of a vehicle that is legal per Georgia law as a result of laws that are not clear and interpreted wrongly.

If successful, our efforts will correct the current law and provide a solid foundation to support efforts in help any change needed in other states and overall help in allowing our hobby to grow.

Please review again the reasons to donate to this effort: I believe all of us are effected no matter what state you reside.

Why Should I donate?
3.) If you live anywhere in the United States and would like to own/or own a military vehicle newer than 1989, improving the laws in Georgia helps the overall political landscape for owning military vehicles nationwide

I am happy to report that we have raised $911.90. Thank you all who have donated to the effort, we salute you. We are now $2088.11 short of our 1st goal. I do like Dale's idea of a funding site to help raise awareness nationwide and potentially raise money for future efforts for our hobby. I will be looking at that in more detail next.

We still need your help, any donation large or small helps the effort.

Thank you all! We have a unique community and group of individuals that I am proud to be associated and working for.
I agree 100% which is also why I think it needs to be promoted on a larger scale. I will be glad to assist with that if you would like me to, but I will not be able to start on it for about 10 days, as I am heading out to the field in wonderful FT Bragg, NC tomorrow. Yeah in January.........awesome!

-Dale

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As said, I was a bit tired. I do have PayPal for our US non-profit, but without money. So I first donated money to our own US non-profit to get something there, then I used that account to send money your way.

At least for as long as this action goes on, maybe add a line to your signatures with the galegislation@gmail.com address, a short reminder why and how to send funds there, and maybe even a link to that specific post. Your original post explaining this is now already several pages behind the front page.[thumbzup]

zout

ROBO - understand very well of being able to or not being able to. For those just thinking - ANY amount sent will add up - even if its $5 - sure do not want to get to that annoying point where any of us involved sound like were pushy or begging for a cause that is effecting anyone in the MV world wanting to do business or hobby here.

Trust me - if I could just pay the lobbyist the total needed there would be no asking for anything - but that is not the case. The ones that want to take a "free ride" on this - well that is something they have to deal with themself.

Thanks again ROBO.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Here is a reading tid bit for you. Did you realize the Ga General Assembly was founded in 1777 during the Revoluntionary War - and it is older than Congress:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_General_Assembly
Can NOT be true because some members of the U.S. congress have been there since BEFORE CHRIST, just ask WM, He worked as the crossing guard for the street in front of congress to stop the chariots so these guys could cross.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those just thinking - ANY amount sent will add up - even if its $5 - sure do not want to get to that annoying point where any of us involved sound like were pushy or begging for a cause that is effecting anyone in the MV world wanting to do business or hobby here.

Trust me - if I could just pay the lobbyist the total needed there would be no asking for anything - but that is not the case. The ones that want to take a "free ride" on this - well that is something they have to deal with themself.
As a director of a non-profit, I can fully support these feelings; been there and done that, have a sore throat and empty bank account to proof it :) :wink:.

And really guys and galls, they should not need to be begging us. As they say, this is not only a small local topic but a test case and way to make our case stronger across the board.

If nothing else, most members here one way or another profit from this site and the knowledge of a relative small group of over-enthusiast MV idiots :cookoo: who keep answering stupid questions and offering real and free help with real problems (including personal). A lot of us are enjoying this site, it keeps us of the street, saves money otherwise spend in pubs or on psychiatrists :cookoo: etc etc.

They will not say it because they are too polite and honest, but its pay-back time people.

With a cool $ 1000 already in, they only need 400 people out of our xx-thousand members giving $ 5 to get to the target. What's that, two beers less this week? And please don't think that those 400 others will cough up so you do not have to.

I will tell you my reason to donate (and after that I will get of the pulpit). The same reason I am a paid member and I paid to Carnac's charity target (for VIN number). Not because I am necessarily so supportive of the causes or of getting any law through a GA congress that certainly does not affect me like Dutchman working in the Czech Republic.

I enjoy the site, it helps me and saves me money. I could not find ANY good reason why I should not use a little bit of my weekly Czech Champagne money (at $7 a bottle, I don't like beer too much) to pay back.

smileys-money-287793.gif

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you have a couple " northerns " leading the charge on this I'm sure their efforts will be successful . It's too bad that more of the GA. MV owners arn't showing support for something that will benifit everyone.
A little support from michigan sent .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I chipped in a little. Next paycheck I'll chip in again. Woulda put in more, but I'm looking at a transmission in my daily driver. :(

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No apologies needed by anybody for donating to the cause! Every little bit helps and demonstrates the strength and character of those that are involved in our great community and the Steel Soldiers site.

A little background for those who are wondering why I personally am spending a tremendous amount of time on this effort.

In August of 2011 I purchased a M1009 from a private individual that said I should check out this site. I don’t even think he is a member on the site, but had printed out a bunch of the stickies for me. Honestly I was clueless on Diesel engines and the M1009 idiosyncrasies and still am :) Then I got real stupid and purchased a M62, (think small Swiss) which put me way over my head.

In the time since 2011 I have met individuals, (M73819,Zout, PapaBear, Warthog, PCTrans and others) who have helped me more than some of my best friends and family to get over the challenges and obstacles of owning military vehicles.

For all the great people that have helped me personally and the greater SS community I wanted to give back in the best way I could support them. Yes one day I also may want to own a 900 series truck in Georgia also.

MtnSnow

I'm new into the BMY ownership but I know a couple of people who have them (BMY's) registered here in Utah but I'm willing to kick a couple of bucks in as I see this potentially helping everyone in the long run....... Where do I send it? Paypal?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks