• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Legal Issues that could effect all MV Owners

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've titled 7 in Indiana with only a GL bill of sale and a police check of the vin number. They use the manufacturer tag for serial and have an exception to the 17 digit. Thank God I'm not in Georgia...but it sure is cold in north Indiana.

Maybe sell it to a friend in MV friendly state, title it and buy it back for $1.

zout

Please read the entire Thread - as stated - Ga does not and will not recognize another States Title.

BUT - there are many that have passed into the system that are titled and registered - but they are not legal unless just flat historic vehicles.

If you have one and running it you are in jeopardy - if it was forced into the system and once this law is passed how are you going to explain to the State you misrepresented the vehicle and now want it corrected - there is a word for that and it starts with a P.

The only way to correct this is get the Bill passed - the reason to donate.

poppop

You could not do the above because Ga would refuse to transfer title and you would be in the same boat. Get your truck home and work on it and help us get the law changed. This is going to be a short session because the members have to get home and campaign to keep their jobs so it is very important to work quickly or this will not happen until next year.

zout

Some background - this issue has been before the State in the past but DID NOT PASS - it never made it to the FLOOR to get voted on (lack of support) but someone went through all the beginning effort to get that far. We are much farther at this time - but without that Lobbyist support that can and work the floor it will be a tough battle.

If I recall is was as late as 1996 when it was last looked at - this is NOTHING NEW members - its always been there and now the Code of Regulation is rearing its ugly head as now it effects us.

Kit car builders have run into this more than us. Anyone Importing into Ga would have ran into this - it effects a lot of folks.

This will break us out of being grouped together giving us our own leg to stand on - all them other follks can go tough it out for themselves.

Donate if you can.

3dAngus

I had a M109 titled at the same time as a M35A3, then the state wrote me and demanded the title back, saying it was a mistake, and would not happen again. I sold the vehicle under full disclosure to a fellow SSer in another state, who got a title in his state without issue. I never returned the title but gave it to the buyer, who was in travel to pick it up just shortly after I received the letter, so it never became a further issue. It was only an issue early on in the pre-sale in Georgia. As he said, other states recognize the non-titling states, and usually will issue a title without issue based on his states laws. He was from Michigan and got the title without issue, as I said.

All the above was done in a matter of days of one another. There was no conspiracy to avoid the demand from the State, it was just a matter of timing, and worked well for the State and for buyer and seller. Problem solved,... that time.
I would not want to go through it again however. The State essentially told me then, the poop is about to hit the fan, and this is the proof in writing. Now, here it is... we're all standing in it, and next time, it could be you and your state. We appreciate any donations, however small, makes no difference. Even small donations show us you CARE. I will match any donation of $10 or less.

It makes your donations go even further!

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So this law essentially prohibits someone in another state from selling a used MV into Georgia. Sounds like the law should be challenged for impeding interstate commerce.

zout

TobyS - 3DAngus has put an outstanding offer up that a few folks have taken him up on @matching funds and his input and assistance has been greatly appreciated - before starting another battle we need to finish this mission FIRST. Its a difficult road to hoe in this economy and you can see that from the total donated so far.

Can you imagine how difficult to take on that battle you suggested and the $$$'s it would take. Lots of folks make suggestions of what we should do - could do - what they think should be done - but take a deep look again at just how few are in this battle mission along.

Donate 4 times at $5 a wack and make 3D Angus squeal - I am sure he will have a BIG smile on his face knowing it all goes to this endeavor - he will just charge me more for something I want at the next Ga Rally anyhow 8)

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I can imagine. I would be a lawyer except I would stand up against a corrupt judge, prosecutor or lying attorney and then be retaliated against. Honest attorneys are purged. I have the experience from dealing pro se with corrupt local governments who have aligned with thieves, frauds and drug cartel. Hardly seems to be much different, but hey, if there is a lobbyist that you think can do it and owners of the trucks can't...well, good luck. What does paying a lobbyist do that many MV owners could not do?

Is there any possibility of a national law?

3dAngus

The Feds leave it up to the States laws on how they want to work Motor Vehicle laws within the state. All the Feds can do, is make recommendations. They do not need to be obeyed. Thus, we each have our own Department of Motor Vehicles, where every state is different. A lobbyist has an open door to government. It is a joke to think a person can walk in and get on schedule with any political office at the state level. And if you do, expect it to happen only once, unless the congressman can be assured by his staff he is working on a real vote getter. It is unfortunate, but this is how government works today, like it or not. They are just to busy to work with real people anymore, when paid representatives, who have gone through the gamit, who have the clearances, who have the gift box and donations at Christmas and at vote time, have priority.
They are going about it in the best, and fastest way possible. And no. No chance of a national law.

Vociferous

Swiss,
Sent $$$ your way, snail mail.
I hope others reading this thread realize how important this mission is to us all.

To those following this: Please consider donating now if you haven't yet. Every penny counts!

poppop

I just want to add to Dell's comments. My Wife ran for a State Office 2 times and I have seen a lot about how politics work. She had to hire a lobbyist to work for her when She was running. These Lobbyist are known at the capitol and can roam the Halls and get access to places a concerned Citizen cannot. Legislators know they can learn what is going on by listening to these lobbyists and not have to meet with a bunch of individuals who cannot put into words the point they are trying to get across. Also the money involved with the Lobbyist is an indication how important the issue is. How much are they being paid and how many people have contributed to the effort. Believe me, we need this Lobbyist to carry our fight forward and we need the number of contributors to be as large as possible. Please, if you live in Ga. and are into MV's and expect to enjoy the hobby into the future, make a contribution, no matter how small, because if you give one dollar or 500 dollars you are still one more name on the list.

zout

Sending this back to home page - bump.

Thanks to all the members outside of the State of Georgia donating - it is greatly appreciated.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this a "generic" law that can be used in other states too? What other states have the same problem (if any)?

This seems like an issue that this forum, not just Georgia members could get behind, so titling MV's is consistent.

While they may not pay attention, I will write to the Georgia Governor. My money won't even shine the shoes of a lobbyist, but I'll be glad to make an effort to let Governor's office know that the GA state is entirely out of touch with MV title laws. Since I paid sales tax on 2 from Georgia.... I feel that I can give them my opinion (but I have no illusions that Georgia politicians really care).

Perhaps a letter writing campaign can supplement your effort, not replace it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They need Georgia residents to step up and help fund this and write letters of support when the time for that comes . Or it is going to look like this is being pushed on Ga. by lobbyist with out of state funding , the amount doesn't matter where it comes from does.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been part of other national efforts that have exposed archaic laws in Georgia. We were successful but as far as I know, did not hire a lobbiest. But hey, if one does not have a commitment to a government "of, by and for the people" but only have belief in the almighty dollar (political influence for sale)...well...you will get what you pay for.

3dAngus

I'm not writing any letters or interfering with Swiss's actions unless he says to.

Writing a letter could actually interfere if not written properly, written in a timely manner, and written to the right person.

I could just imagine some "hothead" writing the Governor right now, pissing him off, and he sending his Assistant down the hill to get the Bill nixed in retaliation.

It might be best to be patient and let Swiss handle it. If he needs letters, he'll say so. But that could be a double edged sword.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck in your effort. I won't make any effort that could screw up "Swiss's plan".

"Hothead"....?

If believing title laws should be consistent throughout our US (to facilitate commerce) is a "hothead"... enjoy your archaic laws.

3dAngus

No Toby.
I did not at all mean any direct reference to you and I apologize if you or anyone else took it that way.

I was just expanding upon the concept of writing where someone who was really teed off used your idea and we started seeing nasty letters being written, which, as you know, could be very counter productive.

You have never displayed any indication of being anything but interested and caring. Thanks for that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks