• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Legalities of WMO in Mass.

As Don (IslandGuyDon) pointed out, waste automatic trans fluid stores more BTU energy than actual diesel fuel, but many people are hesitant to run it for fear of getting dipped and being accused of running untaxed off-road use only red deisel. The Answer My Friends is simple. Get yourself a big ol bottle of green food color and pour a little bit in your tankful of used ATF and turn it black. Since you're not breaking the law by using red diesel on the road, you're not hiding a crime, you're covering your butt to prevent false accusation. Simple as that!
:beer:

plym49

I wonder if cutting the fuel with some pump gas will make it smell of gasoline. It is a multifuel, after all. If the fuel smells of gasoline, that might end it right there. Of course, you should still be paying the road tax on any untaxed fuel, but of course gasoline is taxed.

crazywelder72

Great info here
I still dont want to get in trouble so i am going to call the Department of revenue. Make sure they dont have any process for people running "waste oils" before i start to run 50/50 in my CUCV
If the Mass DOT (or better known as the State Police Truck Team "Commercial Vehicle Enforcement") gets down to dealing with fuel, you can guarantee were getting a ticket. In respect to the taxes for fuel, their job is clear (or clear to them) enforce the law, any fuel tinted isn't diesel with taxes paid for use over the road. Even if the DOR gives you the ok, the DOT will say tell it to the traffic court the law is clear.
Even if he doesn't want to try to figure out exactly what code to charge you with fro the fuel, you can rest assured you will get a ticket for having a tire under inflated, overweight, saftey gear or something.

In mass, it's fine now.... and maybe you wont have to pay latter but we doubt it unless you know someone.

Vintage iron

Hey Fabiodriver welcome to the neighborhood. I work as a heavy truck mechanic in Easton and drive my M813 all around this area. It looks like there are lots of MV guys in our neck of the woods too. [thumbzup]I run 10% WMO in my M813. I don't worry about them dipping my tank. I will just tell them that antique trucks need lubrication in the fuel and Low sulfur fuel by it's self will eat up you motor. This is not a lie and some older engines injected crankcase oil into the fuel system. That being said, I have never been stop in my truck, but I have Mass Antique plates on it. I think out of state plates may draw more attention then Mass. Plates. Most Mass Troopers are ex-military so you really need to be doing something stupid to get pulled over.

crazywelder72

i like your reply. I got hassled at the registry about doing mine as a antique but in the end the let me. I think a bunch of us m*******s should meet at a dunkin donuts one Saturday morning. lol

ixpacman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I make regular scrap metal runs from MV island to brockton in my M35 and must say that the only place I ever get pulled over is in Bridgewater but they have never checked my fuel. Rotary right of 495 in Bridgewater is a good place to avoid if you have any issues . I figure the injector pump lubrication argument is valid but you never know with a compliance nut. I think if you are polite and aren't doing any thing really stupid most law enforcement won't bust your you know whats. The last time I got stopped I was visibly overweight ,had no letterin g on the side of the truck and had no medical card and he let me go with a warning to get things in order or I would be hearing from him again.

mcmullag

Road taxes not income taxes

Let me get back to ya after I check with my friend in Missouri, he has been running WMO in a VW jetta for a couple years and I believe he keeps a log with him on miles driven and road taxes he sends in to the state. Asking the IRS seems to be a turn down the wrong street, they deal with income tax. The thing with fuel is road taxes, the more fuel you use, the more roads and bridges you use so you pay for the roads and bridges.
A woman I work with here in CO, her husband just bought a vw passat and is converting it to WMO and his Dad and siblings are setting up 4 cars to run on this and evidently they have a large supply of WMO. Sounds kinda cool to combine efforts and maybe have family time together while filtering and storing. I will check with him too on how they plan on handling road taxes.

Last edited:

crazywelder72

ixpacman, are you registered as a commercial or antique? at the registry they told me anything over 10K lbs is commercial. and anything with 3 axles is commercial. I was polite and she checked with her supervisor and she hesisantly let me do it as a antique.

Vintage iron

I am up for coffee sometime. I am currently getting the truck ready for the long run too the Sussex show. I will probable set up as a vender at the Merrimack valley swap. I am planning on installing a second tank for WMO or other Alternative fuels.

crazywelder72

i thought i was ready to be rolling further than around the block. looks like i still have to track down a short in my blinkers (if i dont use them should be fine). Where and when is the Merrimac valley swap meet? (and dont tell me in the Merrymack valley :))

let me know what your schedule looks like. I can try get Martincox to join and we can fill a parking lot up with our toys. Besides, i owe him a coffee.

Vintage iron

There is a thread for Northeast MV shows or Check the COMVEC site. I believe that stands for Connecticut Military Vehicle club. Comvec has a calenders of shows in our area. The Chester Conn. show is always great!

Also check out Merrimack valley on Facebook too.

ixpacman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ixpacman, are you registered as a commercial or antique? at the registry they told me anything over 10K lbs is commercial. and anything with 3 axles is commercial. I was polite and she checked with her supervisor and she hesisantly let me do it as a antique.
Crazywelder . Had to register commercial. I don't think the antique plate would fly with full load of steel, M105 trailer full of stuff and driving on weekdays.

chevyCUCV

Bump?
Anyone get dipped yet? Better yet anyone figure out how to pay tax on their wmo?
I am reading the form IRS 720, but it is very difficult. I shall call my taxpayer advocate, but this will only cover the federal tax, right? Still need to pay the state tax?:confused:

I like driving around on CHEAP fuel, but would hate to have it cost me in fines.

crazywelder72

I was worried about it at first but i am like "whatever". I am not worried about it at all at this point. I toot the horn at every cop, or kid i see and wave and everyone waves back and gives the thumbs up. I would say about 1/2 of all the pedestrians i see are smiling and motioning for the air horns.

I wouldn't want to disappoint the people in my community.

mikew

I don't run WMO as fuel. I run WMO as a fuel additive. With todays low sulfur fuels I want to make sure that everything has proper lubrication.

Who's to say if a 90% diesel / 10% WMO mix or 10% diesel / 90% WMO mix is better, but I figure that the more lubricant going through the system the better. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks