• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LeRoi Mack M123

Dirt71

Go for it Brandon... I wont have the money together until sometime next week after the end of the sale, but I have spoke with Russ about it and I'm sure if someone bids on it and they are a real bidder I will lose out on it. I've also spoke with Ray Patton about a quote to move it....man I sure don't miss that part of buying a truck and paying to have it shipped....

JDToumanian

I've also spoke with Ray Patton about a quote to move it....man I sure don't miss that part of buying a truck and paying to have it shipped....
It looks good enough to drive... I drove my HEMTT from LA to CA, over 1,700 miles. After all expenses - food and motels for myself and friends, fuel, chase vehicle, the total cost was less than 1/5 the lowest shipping quote I got.

Jon

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks good enough to drive... I drove my HEMTT from LA to CA, over 1,700 miles. After all expenses - food and motels for myself and friends, fuel, chase vehicle, the total cost was less than 1/5 the lowest shipping quote I got.Jon
But a HEMTT is a) not over-width, b) not running tires probably from the 60s, c) not built in the 50s, and d) has a top speed of more than about 43mph...

It would be a LONG trip from PA to FL...

JDToumanian

But a HEMTT is a) not over-width, b) not running tires probably from the 60s, c) not built in the 50s, and d) has a top speed of more than about 43mph...

Yeah, it would be a challenging trip, but why buy it if not to drive and enjoy it? The tires, speed, and sheer age are clearly the biggest hurdles... The over-width is solved by removing the outside rear tires (and now you've got 4 more spares). I know I'd go for it, but I'm obsessive with preparation and I always have a chase vehicle and backup plan - usually in the form of a credit card with a high limit.

Dirt71

...not to mention 3 mpg... the tire's on the truck came off the 2nd M125 I bought that were original to the truck all Firestone dated 1958....

JDToumanian

Those tires must be obsolete today - sort of hard to replace them today. So is working on one of those along side the road.
You could get new tires, like Michelin XGC 14.00r24 (same tires the M911 uses).... The HEMTT only gets 3 mpg as well. In my case the overwhelming cost savings of driving it was simply too enormous to ignore. The lowest shipping quote I got to truck my HEMTT from LA to CA was almost $9000 and the highest was almost $12,000. At those prices, you could drive it home with new tires and probably save $4000. Of course I don't know the mechanical reliability of the truck in question, let alone 10-tons in general... Or perhaps the scarcity and expense of repair parts is enough to not risk driving it? I'm just saying that when confronted with a huge transport bill I'd at least give driving it a thought.

Jon

AMGeneral

It looks good enough to drive... I drove my HEMTT from LA to CA, over 1,700 miles. After all expenses - food and motels for myself and friends, fuel, chase vehicle, the total cost was less than 1/5 the lowest shipping quote I got.

Jon
I had actually planned on driving it home if I had bought it, but my 2 day bout of insanity passed before the bidding ended.

I was going to but it, having recently entered into an agreement to sell my M62A1 wrecker, but after pricing tires, finding another complete M172A1 lowboy, plus having it moved to NC, then the cost of permits, insurance, fuel, ETC. I pretty much gave up that idea.

After selling my last 3 M123 tractors, I made a vow to myself, I will not buy another 10 ton unless the following criteria are met,

It must be fully restored, with 11 brand new tires.

It must have a clear title.

It must have 2 full fuel tanks upon pickup.

It must be $5000 or less in price.

So, the odds of me ever having another 10 ton are slim to non-existent!

Last edited:

Dirt71

I had actually planned on driving it home if I had bought it, but my 2 day bout of insanity passed before the bidding ended.

I was going to but it, having recently entered into an agreement to sell my M62A1 wrecker, but after pricing tires, finding another complete M172A1 lowboy, plus having it moved to NC, then the cost of permits, insurance, fuel, ETC. I pretty much gave up that idea.

After selling my last 3 M123 tractors, I made a vow to myself, I will not buy another 10 ton unless the following criteria are met,

Well Brandon that is just a bit unrealistic...

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I'm pretty sure those criteria apply to almost EVERYONE in the hobby! :) I know I'd own at least one if that were the case!