• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lets See Your 5-Ton!

DMgunn

Here is a five ton I could have gotten for free along with a couple of M211s and a low boy or two if I had asked about them three months earlier! The county decided not to auction them since no one would want old (running) military trucks so they had a guy cut them up for the steel, 164 tons all together! I now always ask when I see one!!!!
Hard tops even.......GRRRRR :-(

Doesn't look like much yet...

My 1967 m-543a2 - progress is slow but sure...

Enjoy

Matt

Attachments

What are the cylinder heads(?) in the background from in the assembled tire pic? Those aren't from a 539 McIntosh & Seymour are they???
Nope - old school american iron - Enterprise RV-3 (17" bore, 21" stroke) they go to engine S/N 1 and 2 from 1962 - powering the MV Malaspina - one of the Alaska State Ferries...

I get to play with all sorts of fun old toys

Matt

Attachments

Anytime I am in town is fine by me - the stuff is kinda split between Hobart and Seattle, working on building a shop up in Hobart but I poach time at the workshop in the evenings in Seattle... Just let me know

Matt

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1967 m-543a2 - progress is slow but sure...

Enjoy Matt
Looks beautiful! How did you handle the fuel tank? I have this thing about clean fuel, especially for a multifuel engine. :)
How about the ground path for light fixtures, paint is a pretty good insulator?

Lived near Ballard in the sixties, close to Queen Anne Hill, right?

Keep up the good work!

Attachments

Looks beautiful! How did you handle the fuel tank? I have this thing about clean fuel, especially for a multifuel engine. :)
How about the ground path for light fixtures, paint is a pretty good insulator?

Lived near Ballard in the sixties, close to Queen Anne Hill, right?

Keep up the good work!
For the fuel tanks I pulled the drains and flushed the crud out for now - settler and filters should do the rest...

My normal approach to lighting and other grounding issues is to do a full paint job and then spot face where the ground path has to enter the frame - everything either gets a home run ground or uses bond straps from one component to the next...

Thanks - going to see about getting the 16.00's on the back today...

Matt

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those troop seats look brand new. Do you have some for sale or are they going on your truck?
Yeah, they are all brand new from Stephan Wood Products. Nice stuff. I had a set of old wood ones. They needed a lot of work. The carriage bolts and square nuts were frozen solid with rust. I scrapped them out, the steel going to a local metal scrap collector.

I had an 813/814 wooden headrack on classified for a few months with no hits. I salvaged the stave holders which I have had sandblasted and I am in the process of repainting. I scrapped out the rest. See pics of the old stuff.

Got the truck from Dave Wang, just got the rims and tires from Mark

Thought it looked familiar. eBay from Dave?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks