• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lexus vs M931 bobtailed, got rear ended

Csm Davis

Slowing from highway speed to turn on dirt road, and got tagged pretty hard.

View attachment 698707View attachment 698708View attachment 698709

So now we have a broke truck. Will start making insurance calls in the morning after the adrenaline wears off.
Hey 155mm glad everyone is going to be okay, except for your truck it is totalled, don't take my word for it have a insurance adjuster go through it and write it up and also a body shop with a good frame machine to measure if the frame is still square bet it's not. Even if the frame is still square, the repairs to the motor transmission and transfer case, that all have to come out will be more than what the truck is worth. Let the insurance company total the truck, buy it back for scrap price and buy new truck to put all your good stuff on, like those nice tires. I know you may be attached to the truck but I don't think it will be worth rebuilding even if the frame is still square. It can have lots more hidden damage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TexAndy

Hey 155mm glad everyone is going to be okay, except for your truck it is totalled, don't take my word for it have a insurance adjuster go through it and write it up and also a body shop with a good frame machine to measure if the frame is still square bet it's not. Even if the frame is still square, the repairs to the motor transmission and transfer case, that all have to come out will be more than what the truck is worth. Let the insurance company total the truck, buy it back for scrap price and buy new truck to put all your good stuff on, like those nice tires. I know you may be attached to the truck but I don't think it will be worth rebuilding even if the frame is still square. It can have lots more hidden damage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's all that stuff you can't see that might be damaged that I would be worried about. Like DH said, maybe the insurance company will let you buy it back as a parts truck.

Rescue101

It was GONE the minute you found the transfer case problem.........with the broken bellhousing there is NO doubt..........If they can afford a Lexus,they SHOULD be able to buy you a replacement GREEN machine

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spend 4 hours digging thru tm's and MAC charts building just a time estimate for repairs. Insurance adjuster was like... 'uh, um, I, uh... I dont know where to start to look.'

Estimated time for just the visible damage according to the MAC chart including initial and follow up tasks is 82 hours. Thats based on army mechanics in shops with electric overhead lifts, proper special tools, new parts. So I guess it will take at least another 20 hours with mechanics unfamiliar with green iron, fire wrench time, and mechanical lift or fork lift lifting.

So even in a very cheap shop, shop rates are at least $100/hr, so far that means, on the conservative side, $10,000 in labor alone. So it looks to me to be totalled because I can get a comparable replacement for 15+, plus freight.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After having another green iron owner come by and look with me, well the frame is out of square.

IMG_1662[1].jpg
thats the cab mount on the right side, see how the bolt is leaned forward.
IMG_1660[1].jpg
Exhaust bracket on frame behind cab, space between bracket and frame rail, paint is 'cracked'

IMG_1661[1].jpg

This crossmember took alot of force, its 'buckled' where the paint is missing. I know there are supposed to be some divits at those spots, these have bent the metal enough to pop the paint off.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Equipment and toys, no matter how nice or how rare, can be replaced.

Thankfully there's no mention of severe injury or death.

Let the insurance company pay out at current market value, that's what they're for. When push comes to shove, that's how this will play out. (They're either going to pay $40K in repair costs or $20K to replace) Then go shopping for an equivalent or better truck.

There's some stress in the meantime, but this one is very straightforward. There's no question how this will play out. Thankfully the truck isn't your primary source of income, so you're under no pressure to settle until the resolution is satisfactory.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I already have one picked out, and already engineering ways to put more lights on the back of the cab so there isnt a visibility question even though I know there isnt a visibility issue with the factory lighting.

Luckily there is no rush to get this resolved either, gives time to do it right, not do it in a hurry.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some thoughts on additional visibility -

Mud flaps with copious amounts of conspicuity tape - removable, with no permanent alteration to the truck.

Hang a set of wrecker tow lights on the back. They plug right in, and again make no permanent alteration to the truck. And then you always have tow lights available for anything you need to tow.

(I realize this is obvious for many people reading it. I add it for benefit of those who may not have considered it.)

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mudflap brackets like this but removable for towing short necked trailers.

Screenshot_7.png

Towlights high mounted on spare tire lifting tree

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And then there were none.

IMG_1791[1].jpgIMG_1796[1].jpg

I did send her off with her ribbons on, I figured she deserved that.
IMG_1789[1].jpg

lindsey97

I would suggest installing some strobe lights and a very sturdy set of HAY FORKS on the back of the next truck. Hate to see the truck destroyed, but very thankful your family is ok. The truck absorbed a lot of energy.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would have fixed the truck and painted a rising sun flag on the cowl. Americans had to fix a lot of military equipment after similar jap kamakazi attacks.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Insurance bought it, they wanted 1/5th of the check if i wanted to buy it back. I told them to come get it, it wasnt worth 1:5th of the payment

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks