• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lifted Bobbed Deuce leaf springs

robert c neth

Banned
being that your removing riveted spring hangers from the truck and welding on new ones and bolting these on have you considered any liability insurance just in case.if someone gets in a wreck and your stuff is not oem geuss who they will blame.not trying to be a **** just hate to see someone who means well get in trouble good luck.

Welder Sam

Ive got to agree w/the bolts comment. I wouldnt feel comfortable w/o having more meat vertically and horizontally against the frame. Thats alot of stress for such a small area to bare. However, i do like the overall craftsmanship and would consider it if it were upgraded.

blackrock

being that your removing riveted spring hangers from the truck and welding on new ones and bolting these on have you considered any liability insurance just in case.if someone gets in a wreck and your stuff is not oem geuss who they will blame.not trying to be a **** just hate to see someone who means well get in trouble good luck.
Your not being an ass at all, this is very important info you have brought up. I just finished starting a business with the state of Pennsylvania and already have a meeting with my insurance provider this up coming week to discuss insurance on the parts i build. Now another thing is as of right now these parts are be sold as un-welded and for offroad use only. What the customer does with the vehicle after completion is up to the owners discretion.

Ive got to agree w/the bolts comment. I wouldn't feel comfortable w/o having more meat vertically and horizontally against the frame. Thats alot of stress for such a small area to bare. However, i do like the overall craftsmanship and would consider it if it were upgraded.

The Surface on the bottom of the frame is completely covered by the bottom plate. Now yes i could add more plate vertically to cover more area but you have to look at the cross tube that ties the drop hangers together takes alot of the stress off the bolts. Also, the bolt location is reused from the factory hangers, so original holes would need to be welded shut and re drilled. I felt with the additional holes i added would be sufficient enough. Thank you for the input i like constructive criticism, it can only make ya stronger. Thanks kyle

edit to above:

I did add more material to the vertical plate that attaches to the frame using the three factory holes with the addition of two more holes that i added.

Last edited:

blackrock

It was great meeting you and your dad yesterday. You do amazing work. I can't wait to have some of your parts on my Deuce. Looking forward to Coming up to the shop again. Thanks for the tour Jim

Jim it was great meeting you and your wife yesterday, you guys are very good people. I'm glad you took the time to come by the shop and see the work i do. I will have the quote done by the end of today on the work we discussed regarding your front rockwell housing.

Thanks Kyle

blackrock

477573532_photobucket_38845_.jpg

here is a better picture of the holes. The yellow are all new holes i added on extra material, the red are the original holes from factory. You can see how much larger the plate is compared to the original mounting hanger.

thanks kyle

motomacguyver

I'll third the 6x6 kit. It would be great to have room to put 52" tires on and still have plenty of clearance for turning, and possibly snow chains. I would think it would be best to move the rear axel back. What is your opinion?

By the way, exceptional job on the fabrication.

blackrock

I'll third the 6x6 kit. It would be great to have room to put 52" tires on and still have plenty of clearance for turning, and possibly snow chains. I would think it would be best to move the rear axel back. What is your opinion?

By the way, exceptional job on the fabrication.

Thank you very much.

Could you do me a favor? What is the measurement from center of rear axle (front, rear axle that is) to the fuel tank? or whatever would be in the way of a larger tire? I would like to spread the both axles an equal amount.

Thanks kyle

motomacguyver

Thank you very much.

Could you do me a favor? What is the measurement from center of rear axle (front, rear axle that is) to the fuel tank? or whatever would be in the way of a larger tire? I would like to spread the both axles an equal amount.

Thanks kyle

Looks like about 23 inches. the drivers side it's the spare tire, the pass side its the fuel tank.

Seems like it would be much more difficult to lift a 6x6 and keep the articulation. The rear dogbones would have to be extended.

blackrock

Looks like about 23 inches. the drivers side it's the spare tire, the pass side its the fuel tank.

Seems like it would be much more difficult to lift a 6x6 and keep the articulation. The rear dogbones would have to be extended.

Like i was discussing with another member earlier. It all comes down to what the customer wants. If the customer would want air bags i would design a new drop down with a four link setup with DOM and heims as the link bars.

But if they want to keep the leafs this def posses a different problem. If we use a 5 ton back half you will gain 1.5" of lift to start off with. But the leafs are much wider which means that the leafs plates have to be redesigned to fit around the 2.5ton axles. Building a lift would consiste of a raiser block similare to my lift kit but much larger allowing the 5 ton drop down to bolt to it.

If keeping the 2.5ton setup is preferred i could redesign the drop down making it 8" taller and make new dog bones with DOM tube and 1" x 1.25 heims joints in single or double shear. Just some ideas i have been running threw.

so by your numbers it looks like the whole rear axle assemly would have to be lengthened cause i don't like the idea of the bars/ dog bones being different lengths, i would want to keep them all the same.

Kyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks