• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lifting a stock deuce

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The sad reality is that they are now dumping the 900 series 5 tons on the market like they were doing the deuces a few years ago....the deuces are now going up in price (for one in good condition) on GL and the 5 tons are dropping. The big sticking point with the 900 series is the air brakes and CDL requirements (in some areas and cases). I also have resevations about young, inexperienced drivers jumping in a huge truck without proper training but I degress.

One thing no one has mentioned to the OP is the power drag bigger tires cause. For every action there is a reaction. The deuce is already anemic as far as power goes and putting a few more tons of tires/rims on it doesn't help.

Read, read, read.......good advice...take it and enjoy the forum and the hobby.

Scarecrow1

Not to be rude but,I like Surgell's comment . Try buying and driving one first. You can put bigger tires on almost any MV but it comes a a cost in money and or performance. When you up a tire one size you are losing torque but not all that much. The larger the size the more torque you lose. On the highway it may not hurt you that much if your engine is still strong but off road and it is a different world. The truck wasn't designed to be BIG FOOT the monster truck just one very tough machine. I have what came on mine and they do everything I need them to do Stock. But I drive a 923A1 with 1400-20,s on it you may want to look into one of those if you like big tires. Some come with 1600, and they are in my opinion to big for the five tons . Don't kill the truck trying to make it do what wasn't intended of it to do just for a look. Just my 2 cents

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great advice from many but you have to give some info to get some info. First, your budget. Might be a waste of everyones time if you have a $500 budget. The $50 crated deuces are all in the shed and I'm not selling them.

Second, what are you going to do with the truck? Going to pull a 10,000# dozer? Sure don't want bigger tires than that. When one knows the task at hand for the truck, it's easier to direct.

Third, why lift? How high? I know a few posts in you finally gave up the tire size.

Lastly, let us know what your experience is with the deuce. How much do you know about them. I've spoken to folks for hours about everything related to buying a deuce. Poured my heart out only to find out that they didn't know it had manual steering and suddenly had no interest in a deuce. Those hours I'll never get back. No one here minds helping but you have to do a little investigation prior to getting involved.

Joeinderry

I have Michelins ZXL's on mine, they are 46" tall and do not rub. These tires with HEMTT rims were about $4000. I have another deuce i'm bobbing and will be putting on MRAP rims with 49" tall tires at a cost of about $2000.. I may lift my third deuce with 2-3" blocks. These trucks really don't need to be lifted they are huge with 46" tires on them. My advice is to buy one and drive it as is for a month or 2. You'll get a good feel for it and probably run into some stuff that needs fixing. Parts aren't real expensive and are easily found. Bobbing one isnt that hard or expensive but you do need alot of tools for example: torches (nice big set), welders, drills, a fork lift or tractor comes in handy. Just have fun with it and learn as you go.

walkerhunter

I guarantee a deuce on 11.00 r 20s will blow your mind,I've stuck mine but it was nutz deep hole that had been rutted out for three days by 20 or so mvs. Bobb is fun and more drivable but a full size on 395s with a locker in 2 axles would be Very hard to stop.

stinkbait75

I'm not absolutely sure on my budget and I do know a little about deuces. If I get one it will be for just driving around and maybe some light loads oncein a while , it will really just be a toy cuz I live to far from town to drive it there I think I'll leave it stock mayb some 395s and may b do some cool custom stuff to the bed like shorten it but leave both axles on. I'm going to look at one this weekend it's missing the front glass gauges and master cyclinder but it sounds to be a good deuce overall

stinkbait75

I guarantee a deuce on 11.00 r 20s will blow your mind,I've stuck mine but it was nutz deep hole that had been rutted out for three days by 20 or so mvs. Bobb is fun and more drivable but a full size on 395s with a locker in 2 axles would be Very hard to stop.
What do you mean with lockers in 2 axles?

GHall

I believe he means, with locking differentials in both rear axles you'll be able to go through or over most things within reason. A locking diff or (lockers) is part of the differential inside the ring gear. It is a mechanical device that is automatically, air or electronically actuated depending on which model you have. When engaged it locks the left and right axle shafts together as to give you better traction as opposed to an open differential (no locker) which usually allows only one axle shaft (tire) to spin in a loss of traction situation. The normal function of a differential is to provide power to the wheels and also when you turn to allow the outside wheel to rotate faster than the inner wheel so things won't bind up. With the locker actuated in a vehicle, it makes it hard to turn, the vehicle starts hopping and it puts a lot of stress on the driveline parts.