• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lifting and 53's

GPappy

Is a 4" lift enough. I decided against using the 53's I bought because I was told that I needed an 8" lift. Since I haven't been able to sell the tires I might reconsider if a 4" works??

elfkin

Is a 4" lift enough. I decided against using the 53's I bought because I was told that I needed an 8" lift. Since I haven't been able to sell the tires I might reconsider if a 4" works??

I,ve read for days and days, everyone has and opinion one what works lift size for tire size, I just bought my first duce, so I've been reading and reading, I wish I could find a post that said this much lift for this size of tire, aua cuz it is driving me nuts, just had to add my 2cents worth,

cidrich

I have a friend that put 53"s on his m35a2 with no lift.The tires are close to the front fenders and the bed.He said the front rubbed the exhaust pipe and the rear would rub the bed. I put 53"s on mine also but I lifted mine 8".No rubbing and plenty of room.It could be done with 4" or 6" but the tires would be close. I woould go atleast 6" or 8" with 53" tires. 8"s seams to be the best. Her are some pictures of mine.I hope this helps.

Attachments

Oros35

I think the 4" lift looks 100 times better than the 8" lift.

Where does it rub with the 4" lift? Could you get some pictures?

Or how about no lift? What rubs? I'd have no problem taking a saw to the body, but if there are other things that hit that arn't that easy, that's a different story.
Also have no problem adding a few inches of bumpstop. My jeep has 14" of travel with only 3" of uptravel. Low is good. The less lift with the biggest tires wins!!!

hdmax

Sorry for not getting back to you all sooner, but been away from the site for a long time.

As for lift and 53"s
So far no rubbing anywhere, but I haven't had it back to any place like Haspin, that would really test it.
I have had it off road, and in some pretty good places, and everything worked great.

I would NOT recommend 53's with anything less then a 4" lift. With no lift it would rub on every pot hole, speed bump, and going around curves at just about any speed.

ridgerunner has an 8" lift on his truck with 53's and he has tons of room. In my opinion a 6" lift would be the perfect lift for these tires/wheels.

My lift ended up being 4 3/16", not sure if Paul (ridgerunner) measured his to see if it is indeed a little over 8" or not.
He does amazing work, and if anyone is serious about a lift, and or steering arm, you should get with him.

I think the 4" lift looks 100 times better than the 8" lift.

Where does it rub with the 4" lift? Could you get some pictures?

Or how about no lift? What rubs? I'd have no problem taking a saw to the body, but if there are other things that hit that arn't that easy, that's a different story.
Also have no problem adding a few inches of bumpstop. My jeep has 14" of travel with only 3" of uptravel. Low is good. The less lift with the biggest tires wins!!!
I agree!

Lower is better. What degree could you traverse with 53's and an 8 inch lift? I'll bet it's not much. I have 53's with ONLY a 2 1/2 inch spring lift and nothing rubs. The front tires do come within an inch of the back side of the fender wells when they are turned all the way and the suspension is totally bottomed out. But a miss is as good as a mile. I did re-do the exhaust and ran it up under the truck and out the back, that is the biggest interference problem. I also trimmed the fenders...it is a "Bobber"

GPappy

I agree!

Lower is better. What degree could you traverse with 53's and an 8 inch lift? I'll bet it's not much. I have 53's with ONLY a 2 1/2 inch spring lift and nothing rubs. The front tires do come within an inch of the back side of the fender wells when they are turned all the way and the suspension is totally bottomed out. But a miss is as good as a mile. I did re-do the exhaust and ran it up under the truck and out the back, that is the biggest interference problem. I also trimmed the fenders...it is a "Bobber"
What is a 2 1/2 inch spring lift? I was planning on an air bag rear suspension so lifting the rear is no harder than stock height. If I could get away with 2 1/2 inch lift and the front wasn't a big deal to fabricate, I just might have to use my 53's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks