• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV/Brazos/Titan XD4400… is it right for me?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I were to get a truck like this, do any of you have recommendations where i could get a camper? Any help is appreciated.
If you have to ask this isn't the right truck for you.

All habitats for these trucks are custom built. You don't just "buy" one, you commission their construction or construct them yourself unless you buy a military van or expandable van.

mattyfatty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have to ask this isn't the right truck for you.

All habitats for these trucks are custom built. You don't just "buy" one, you commission their construction or construct them yourself unless you buy a military van or expandable van.
I guess I phrased the question wrong. I was asking for a company to commission the build.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I were to get a truck like this, do any of you have recommendations where i could get a camper? Any help is appreciated.
How much do you want to spend ???? Cause thats why most folks build their own when they get the 200k to 500 k estimates from the few that fool with trucks like this in the states and if you want a real interior built like MARATHON / LIBERTY / FEATHERLITE/ a new chassis and one of these guys build it 1 to 1.5 m their bus/motorhome builds fetch over 2 mil now !

Third From Texas

How much do you want to spend ???? Cause thats why most folks build their own when they get the 200k to 500 k estimates from the few that fool with trucks like this in the states and if you want a real interior built like MARATHON / LIBERTY / FEATHERLITE/ a new chassis and one of these guys build it 1 to 1.5 m their bus/motorhome builds fetch over 2 mil now !
Pretty much this^

Here's a $1.5M RV vs a $20K RV

*mine's the cool one w/o the chandeliers and butler (goes the same places and then some, I can sleep inside, cook meals, take a shower, use the head, work at the computer, and I have $1,480,000 left to hire some really pretty dates for every trip)

20220110_165149.jpg

Third From Texas

I guess I phrased the question wrong. I was asking for a company to commission the build.
Do you already have a truck?

Most of the venders either sell DIY habitats or turn key campers.

There are a number of places in the EU that build habs. A few folks have talked about it here in the states, but most end up selling complete rigs.

And there are some turn--key Chinese camper boxes that come kitted out (junk, IMHO) that at least one guy in the US imports (or claims to...never seen one beyond his posts).

Lot's of FB groups about overland builds. Might be a good place to ask.

Might also check Expedition Portal (forums and classifieds)

And if you've seen a truck you like, it never hurts to ask the parting price. They are always ALL for sale....

Third From Texas

Here's a few folks you could try (but you'll see what Chucky meant about prices):

https://www.globalxvehicles.com/ <--they made the $1..5M truck in the pic with mine

And you could get a composite box from these guys for around $10K:

Then get any one of a million places that build out Van Life rigs to kit it out for you.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. And that's why the military van (M1079) and expansible van (M1087) models are so desirable. Not to mention they cost more empty when new (my 2008 M1079A1R was $325k new adjusted for inflation - and that's a completely empty box) than many of these civilian expedition rigs cost fully equipped - part of that difference is immediately apparent when you see how the habitat's are constructed. I'm using residential house windows in my M1079 box for example - something that would never fly in a civilian habitat since they aren't compatible with the weight and thickness nor the sharp edges that create stress points - all non issues with the military box construction.

Last edited:

mattyfatty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the help guys. I already own a Titan Brazos TDX4400. We also have a welding shop that can make any modifications to the frame to mount etc. I'm ideally looking for a company to build a 'plop-on', but I know that's asking for a lot. I got quotes from several European companies to make habs, but I don't need anything that costs more than my house. I appreciate all the help!

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went the Alaskan Camper route. You can get a flatbed model 'plop-on' in whatever length you specify, or standard 10 ft NCO (non-cabover). Set it on the truck bed, tie it down, and go. Set it off and have a normal truck. A side benefit is that the collapsible Alaskan fits tightly within the outer dimensions of the truck so has little effect on where you can take it, compared to the severe restrictions of a huge box on the back.

BTW I have not had an issue with bed flex with the Alaskan. The "bottom half of a shoe box" configuration is very forgiving of any slight flex the FMTV bed has.

IrishGoodbye

So y’all will probably color me crazy, but I can’t seem to shake the FMTV as a platform for these expedition trucks (given off-road capabilities) ie they were actually meant for this stuff - whereas some of these earthroamer types weren’t… and even if modified to suit off-road use… departure angles, approach angles, break over angles… all lame.

so… had a conversation with a close friend of mine who is a business owner now (diesel truck parts) and stated his life out as a master diesel mechanic. He’s confident we can keep one of these puppies in service.

I have a question though….

Running 395/85R20… are there ANY tire mfrs still selling NEW - ie I can order new with a 2023 date stamp? Michellin, Conti, Goodyear… anyone? Or is everyone completely dependent on “old new stock” surplus tires?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So y’all will probably color me crazy, but I can’t seem to shake the FMTV as a platform for these expedition trucks (given off-road capabilities) ie they were actually meant for this stuff - whereas some of these earthroamer types weren’t… and even if modified to suit off-road use… departure angles, approach angles, break over angles… all lame.

so… had a conversation with a close friend of mine who is a business owner now (diesel truck parts) and stated his life out as a master diesel mechanic. He’s confident we can keep one of these puppies in service.

I have a question though….

Running 395/85R20… are there ANY tire mfrs still selling NEW - ie I can order new with a 2023 date stamp? Michellin, Conti, Goodyear… anyone? Or is everyone completely dependent on “old new stock” surplus tires?
Goodyear and Michelin make brand new tires - the Goodyear MV/T and the Michelin XZL. The military uses them widely. You just need to find someone that can and is willing to order them. One of the guys I just did an ECO hub install got a new set through a family connection that owned a tire shop. They are out there if you look hard enough and pay the price. Mostly guys buy surplus because the cost of new is typically 3x-6x the cost of surplus.

The tire market *right now* is rough. Mostly because of the Russia/Ukraine "situation" - I've heard from some sources that the DOD went on a surplus purchasing spree - basically buying back any tires less than 5 years old out of the surplus market. Another interesting development is that the Army has been standard on the Goodyear MV/T for the FMTV's for the last ~15 years but it appears that recently they widened their contract with Michelin for the XZL to include the 395/85R20 in addition to the XZL's they already purchase for the HEMTT, PLS, M-ATV, etc. So now we are seeing XZL's show up as replacement tires for the FMTV's.

PXL_20230907_223201946.jpg
PXL_20230907_223208269.jpg

This is not a bad thing - the surplus world is going to absolutely EXPLODE with tires and ammo and all kinds of spare parts and equipment once the "situation" is resolved and the high rate of burn subsides. Manufacturers are still ramping production of all consumables and that stuff is going to flood the market. This happens every time we draw down - that's why every law enforcement agency in the US has an MRAP or two. The DOD went absolutely crazy on ordering them (there was like 18 different varieties) from every manufacturer that could field a contract and ended up with an unreasonable amount of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Third From Texas

Good info

The Goodyear MV/T and the Michelin XZL are the only way to go, IMO. The old Michelin XML's (lovingly referred to as "May Pops") are best avoided for on road use (especially the older ones). You can literally see them "puff up" along the sidewalls at each of the tread sections. I actually have May Pops on my trailer, but they run very low psi and only get run a few miles until I reach the sand. I have MVT 's mounted up and ready to slap on the trailer, though. But you can see the failure points when you air them up to rated psi:

ymmv

IMG_20230910_115601535.jpg

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the subject of tires, I know it moves away from the military spec but has anyone looked into the 22.5" wheel options in super single sizes (445 65 22.5 )? Anyone with experience running those?

IrishGoodbye

On the subject of tires, I know it moves away from the military spec but has anyone looked into the 22.5" wheel options in super single sizes (445 65 22.5 )? Anyone with experience running those?
excellent question, I’m also curious.. the Goodyear G278 is a great tire… can take a heavy load and on a 22.5” wheel I read that I can be aired down as low as ~15PSI